Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eggs Dairy Or Poultry Product

Options
  • 22-06-2005 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I Was Doing A Crossword In The Mirror Newspaper Yesterday And There Was A Clue, 4 Letters Dairy Product And The Solution Today On The Paper Was Eggs So Are Eggs Dairy Or Poultry Products.??????????????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

Wtf? Eggs are not dairy products by ANY stretch of the imagination. Perhaps there is some messed up classification in the agricultural dept., but even if there is, there's no excuse for it. Show me a cow that can lay an egg, and then we can call eggs "dairy products".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Show me a cow that can lay an egg, and then we can call eggs "dairy products".
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dr. Unk

Its Definitely A Dairy Product New Research Shows That Eggs Are Misrepresented In Mother Natures Food Chain, F.a.c.t, So The Crosssword Was Definitely Right Its A Tricky Subject Though Smellywelly One Could Easily Be Confused

Nice "fact" there. Definition of dairy : Of, for, or relating to milk or milk products. Eggs are not milk or dairy in any way shape or form as birds do not lactate. Reclassifying eggs as dairy products requires redefining the scientific classification of the word "mammal".

Oh and for the record, Smellywelly and Dr. Unk, your overuse of the "shift" key, lack of punctuation and poor grammar would indicate that you are in f.a.c.t. the same person. You seem to have an overwhelming desire to see eggs included in the "dairy" category despite the fact that it's not scientifically or physically possible. One can only guess as to why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

Dr. Unk wrote:
    Its Definitely A Dairy Product New Research Shows That Eggs Are Misrepresented In Mother Natures Food Chain, F.a.c.t, So The Crosssword Was Definitely Right Its A Tricky Subject Though Smellywelly One Could Easily Be Confused

if this is indeed the case that means all these farms with only egg laying hatcherys are dairy farms!!!! wheres the cow in that.... :eek:

it is after all the mirror paper bringing this to light.... :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,998 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Funnily enough this thread reminded me of all the times I got confused and said eggs were dairy products by accident. I think it's because my brain puts eggs in the "protein-rich substitutes for meat" group and then translates that to the "dairy group".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Nice "fact" there. Definition of dairy : Of, for, or relating to milk or milk products.

However from a commercial agriculture point of view, and retail for that matter, eggs are a Dairy product as they are handled, processed and stored similarly - unlike meat products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 smellywelly

[QUOTE=Oh and for the record, Smellywelly and Dr. Unk, your overuse of the "shift" key, lack of punctuation and poor grammar would indicate that you are in f.a.c.t. the same person. You seem to have an overwhelming desire to see eggs included in the "dairy" category despite the fact that it's not scientifically or physically possible. One can only guess as to why.[/QUOTE]

actually dr. unk works with me and he said the crossword was correct i said otherwise so we decided to leave it up to the public. plus theres 20 squid on it.

p.s. im defo right though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Dairy
    n. pl. dair·ies

1. A commercial establishment for processing or selling milk and milk products.
    2. A place where milk and cream are stored and processed.
    3. A dairy farm.
    4. The dairy business; dairying.

Note, Dairy is not limited to cows. Goats milk and goats cheese are dairy products aswell.

Eggs though, well tbh, I just don't know. Like stark said, if I was asked on the spot with two seconds to answer, "Are eggs a dairy product?" I would have said 'yes'! But thinking about it now, I would say 'no'.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I wouldnt have said dairy or poultry. But would have leaned towards poultry.

did the define: dariy in google, got this, as one hit.

http://www.foodsubs.com/FGDairy.html

searching poultry got that it was flesh, but also "Poultry is the class of domesticated fowl (birds) used for food or for their eggs."

• Advertisement

Borzoi wrote:
    However from a commercial agriculture point of view, and retail for that matter, eggs are a Dairy product as they are handled, processed and stored similarly - unlike meat products.

I see exactly what you're saying here, and I referred to this in my first post above (about the dept of agriculture having a broad classification system for admin purposes), but the basic scientific facts stand that chickens don't lactate and cows don't lay eggs. Dairy refers to milk or milk products; cow, goat, sheep, horse.. any animal that lactates can be called a dairy "producer", that includes humans. Lumping eggs under the dairy banner may work for storage purposes in supermarkets, but that doesn't make it any more dairy than sausages (which are handled more similarly to milk than eggs, which don't need to be refrigerated).

Birds are not mammals. They do not lactate. They do not bear live young. They lay eggs.

Even from a farming point of view, eggs don't come under the dairy banner. They are both animal products, that's where the similarity ends.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

muhammadfarms1 please don't resurrect threads that are years old.
    Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement