Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classics

Options
  • 22-06-2005 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

Classics and Im done.
    What a pain in the arse of a paper tbh. Philip and Comodus???? Compare TWO arches wtf like????? Dodgy questions on Caerwent. Epics were alree, alex was fine. Plays not so good. 1 1/2 questions done but im looking for a c ish.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

A&A - Nightmare, mixed up my sections and said the stele was from Classical, spent the whole Q talking about how it had advanced beyond the Archaic limits, only to find out it was actually from archaic...d'oh.

Alex - OK, the Gaugamela Q was easy, Callisthenes was doable.

Drama - loads of people in my year had trouble with Oedipus, but I just skipped it and did Medea & Prom. instead, both doable.

Epic - Very specific aeneas Q, but good general Odyssey one.

Overall, a decent enough paper, not that worried about it now though cos I'm free! Thank god almighty!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Macka

I'm freeeeeeeeee
    Alexander-Guagamela and Callisthenes HOORAY!
    A+A-Temple was piss and I think I waffled quite nicely on the bronze
    Plays-Medea and a ridiculously straight forward Prometheus Q
    Poetry-I owned that Propertius Q and wrote a good page and a half on the patronage Q
    Give me my B1 thank you :D
    Such a nice paper to end on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Callisthenes wahoo...i managed to remember it perfectly...
    I had a weird feeling commodous was coming up, i worte everything in the book about it but i still didn't think i wrote enough for the marks. PLays were excellent...i was ****tin doing them...
    I was hoping to scape a b,i thinki might scape an a now....

Oedipus was a **** q but always is, pro + medea were good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I don`t even remember the paper now, just glad its done!.

Frrrrrreeeeeeeeeddddooooooommmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Greek Art and Architecture - I'd learned the names of all the temples, so I was really pissed off that they gave us the name of it! Those bastards... I forgot to mention the frieze inside the cella, but I remembered the architects name. Yay for bronze statues! I was so happy one of those came up!
    Greek Drama - Medea question was perfect, found the Oedipus one a bit trickier but I'm glad I went over the roles over the chorus in each play
    Augustan Writers - Yay for Propertius!! And there was a lovely question about Augustus, I brought in Livy, Virgil and Horace for that question
    Alexander the Great - I was so happy Gaugamela came up, I had that down perfectly! It was the ideal question! I thought the others looked hard when I first read them, but when I got stuck into the question on Callisthenes it was actually grand.

Overall, it was a great paper for me, though my hand was bloody sore afterwards! Also it was quite warm in the exam room, which was annoying, but at least they had fans in there. I'm just so glad I'm finished now! I am absolutely exhausted

Eh what do you mean the frieze inside the cella explain yourself Fishie

It was one of the unusual features of that particular temple, it actually has a frieze on the inside walls, not sure exactly how that works but that is what the book says

But we're not expected to know that right the Q was using the floorplan describe the temple (or something to that effect) so surely thats quite irrelevalent unless you're going for an A by includind ridiculous amounts of detail and generally showing off. Please God say we weren't expected to write about that crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Well done to you all! I remember classics being a physically draining exam.

• Advertisement

Macka wrote:
    But we're not expected to know that right the Q was using the floorplan describe the temple (or something to that effect) so surely thats quite irrelevalent unless you're going for an A by includind ridiculous amounts of detail and generally showing off. Please God say we weren't expected to write about that crap
    Wasn't one of the parts saying why the temple was unusual though? It was name the architect, say why it's unusual and then describe the floor plan in architectural terms. Don't worry though, I'm sure it's not something you have to put in (I hope not anyway, cos I forgot)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Finch*

ok i may have made a bit of a mistake in my callisthenes answer, was he accused of being involved in the page boys plot? cuz if he wasnt thats a good 20 marks ive lost outta that question!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Wasnt it the Conspiracy of the Boy Princes. Dont think they will kill ya or me . Depending on who was right. Id go and check it for ya but my notes have been released back into the wild and are breezing around terenure as we speak.

Afaik i started of with Prostration which led to Callistenes' oppostition. Then Alex implicated him in the plot of the Boy Princes even though it wasnt proved that he was invloved.

Make 1 1/2 pages outa da!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

That was it alright, but I never knew the plot was called that of the Boy Princes, so I just talked about it being a plot from Hermolaues and a few other sons of nobles. Many points lost for not naming it specifically? That was a dream of a paper, couldn't have been any easier though I don't do A&A.

Arrian calls it the Pages' Plot, so don't worry. and yes you were right, he was implicated in it. I wrote about the orientalism issue as well

But wasn't the Q on why the temple was unusual in relation to the floorplan therefore you only had to talk about the side entrance, weird jutting inwards walls and that column in the middle of the naos near the back. I think there was something else but I can't remember I may have said it was unusually long and narrow for a classical temple as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Nice exam, the Oedipus Q was tricky enough but otherwise everything went well. I wrote about 32 pages all together, and I have no idea how I managed that.
    Still hasn't hit me it's over.

Yeah maybe you're right! Nice to know I didn't screw up that question so

Grimes wrote:
    i started of with Prostration which led to Callistenes' oppostition. QUOTE]

****...i just realised i wrote procastination....dam hamlet...oh well....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Bright Smile

Alexander- Lovely questions, all quite doable, callisthenes and guagamela...
    Plato- Impossible, extrememly hard i thought, there was no bit of variation and twas hard to quote to bring it into a "modern state"
    Augustan Writers- propertius was beautiful but i thought both Horace and Ovid were quite limiting in that there was only one poem on the paper- i mean who knows that much about each single poem? and we hadnt done Augustus
    Greek Art- did i know what period ANYTHING CAME FROM?!i dont think so. waffled away though and twas grand!
    FRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEDOM....... :D What an anti climax all the same

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

Wow, someone else actually does Plato?? I thought the question about simple civilisation giving way to civilised society was pretty easy. The traits of the Philospher King would have been easy if I was arsed learning it but I had to skip it. Which left me to do the 'modern state' question. I made two points, saying the Ship of State parable shows that our system of government often takes short sighted 'popular' decisions rather than doing what's best for the ship/state. I also said that Socrates' views on women were applicable to a modern society where we should see the difference between a man and woman, or Irish person and immigrant are purely physical and we could all learn from how he describes a long haired carpenter being just as qualified as a short haired one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Alexander- Lovely questions, all quite doable, callisthenes and guagamela...
    Plato- Impossible, extrememly hard i thought, there was no bit of variation and twas hard to quote to bring it into a "modern state"
    Augustan Writers- propertius was beautiful but i thought both Horace and Ovid were quite limiting in that there was only one poem on the paper- i mean who knows that much about each single poem? and we hadnt done Augustus
    Greek Art- did i know what period ANYTHING CAME FROM?!i dont think so. waffled away though and twas grand!
    FRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEDOM....... :D What an anti climax all the same
    whoah, where do you study? you do all the 'alternative' topics! :D alexander isn't alternative though

Alex and Roman A+A seem alot easier...

Advertisement