Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling IBB within contract (well, a day after installation!)

• 22-06-2005 7:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

Well I got Irish Broadband installed today and I'm already regretting it.

Techinician setting it up took 4 hours so I had to get back to work before checking it out, got home and I'm getting less than 1m down, 100k up for a 2m symetric service.

Phoned support, they tried to fob me off saying they'd get an engineer to look at it. No ticket number, no eta... tried to say the mast was down even though I could sort of get webpages...

So basically we're off to a bad start and I'm not going to put up with it. The tech told me I could cancel no questions asked within the first month - any truth in this?

Since the contract is 12 months I can see myself having problems getting this sorted. As bad as Eircom can be I've never had these sort of technical or customer service style issues with them!

Why oh why didn't I come to this board BEFORE ordering?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 wingnut30

Cancel now, im currently on a dial up speed for the last two weeks and nobody at IBB gives a toss, I was actually told yesterday by one of their tech support guys that "pings are irrelevant" and that I shouldn't worry about the pings or packet loss, getting on to comm reg tomorrow.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

Give them HELL!!!

Bug the sh!t out of them or else they wont do a thing for you.
    At the moment you are an unsigned cheque of ~€550 to IBB and they desperately want that cheque signed.

So bug the sh!t out of them for a week and if all else fails unplug some of the rquipment and drop it into their office and demand the rest be taken down by their techs if they dont sort out the problem.

Where are you located anyway as NTL is probable a better option in certain areas unless you are in Cork/limerick and have to wait&wait for anything chorus might think up of.

Have fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

But will I be able to?

I'm very annoyed about this and their support are beyond dreadful. I don't blame the poor chap who answered the phone of course but well, he didn't seem very trained.

They are rarely well trained unless they are enthuaists like a lot of people here...then again if they actually knew enough to do that job properly i find it difficult that they couldnt get a better job.

You have customer rights under various laws that you should make use of!!!

Well I don't want it fixed I want it gone. I need a reliable service and thought IBB would be more reliable than my Eircom Home Plus connection... It ain't.

I'm phoning them tomorrow to tell them they can take their stuff back

• Advertisement

Well if you want reliability then a fixed land option like DSL/Cable is always the best choice overall.

Disconnect any indoor equipment and drop it into them to show that you want it out ASAP!

Where are you located anyway???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

send it back within the week and theres no charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Yeah there is a 7 day cooling off period......

6.1 The Subscriber will have a “cooling off period” of 7 working days
    from the date that they sign the contract to cancel the Agreement
    (i.e. The cooling off period commences from the date of
    the contract, not the date of installation). Such cancellation
    must be in writing by sending notice of cancellation to Irish
    Broadband on the address listed in this Agreement.

7 days after ordering not 7 days after installation. Looks like I am stuck with a lousy product. Go me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Now why am I not suprised to read such posts?

Chief are you reading this? You're so lucky to be one of the 7 happy IBB customers! :p

• Advertisement

My Service has been up and down since i got it down more offen than up, I've another 7 months.

I'm going to try and get out of it. It's certainly easy enough to stop payments from the bank if they don't play ball. I don't even want them to try and fix it! I literally got it today, the technician took 4 hours to install it so I had to head back to work without testing it.

That means when he was driving off it was in a state where I'm getting 50% the download and 10% of the upload I was expecting with a min 10% packet loss and a max of 22% packet loss.

Support told me they were working on the mast, then that the mast was down then that my equipement needed to be calibrated all in one phone call. He even said that they were upgrading it for new users like myself. Well they had three weeks to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 andmor

Our 2Mb service began well enough. Engineer left after showing us download speed of 1700 and upload of 1200. This lasted from April to May. Since then speeds have collapsed and have been given the runaround by "technical support".

Speeds from irishipstest.com just now are download 250 kbps and upload 32 kbps.

Phoning technical support from Donegal is v. expensive. Emails are never answered. This forum is the only place I can let off some steam!!

Im sure you can get out of it if you try hard enough!

If I were you I would dismantle as much of the equipment as you can and then drop it into IBB.
    Then demand they take the rest of their sub standard equipment away with them once you have the contract cancelled.

The service was perfect till the upgrades...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

you have 7 days cooling off so cancel and they will get the finger out !!

Hmmm, their terms state 7 days cooling off after making the order NOT after installation.

Thanks to all for the feedback though. Keep it coming! :)

82GB a download frenzy!!!

There is at least 1 bad boy here with Eircom DSL who constantly beat 100GB every month.
    We all know who I'm talking about!!!

I haven't downloaded ANYTHING on mine at all. Have plugged in my ADSL router again and have IBB on my laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

They haven't provided the product that they promised and it sounds like they have no intention of doing so. Tell them you want it out or you will raise a complaint to the ODCA. "You may contact ODCA about false or misleading claims about goods, services and prices and we will investigate the matter" - IBB comparing themselves to "other broadband suppliers", claiming down/upload speeds of 2Mb is false and misleading.

Just out of curiosity, what mast are you half connected to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

fasty wrote:
    Hmmm, their terms state 7 days cooling off after making the order NOT after installation.

Thanks to all for the feedback though. Keep it coming! :)

well its in the Goods and Services act ! so they need to comply with this !

get onto consumer afairs at 1890 220 229 !!

Drapper wrote:
    well its in the Goods and Services act ! so they need to comply with this !

get onto consumer afairs at 1890 220 229 !!

Can you show me where this is? Is it from when you order or when you receive the goods/services?

I tried looking through the Goods and Services act but well, it means sfa to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Fatsy, I had IBB breeze for 6 months about 18 months back. The service never worked as advertised, huge latancy, poor d/l speeds. They tried fixing it on a number of occasions to no avail. In the end I got a refund for close to the amount I had paid over the 6 months including the install fee.

They are incompetant fcukwits with a product that does not work. Cancel it and get a refund for any money you have been charged.

It boggles my mind that people who read this board are still ordering IBB's service with the amount of complaints posted here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Adey2002 wrote:
    They haven't provided the product that they promised and it sounds like they have no intention of doing so. Tell them you want it out or you will raise a complaint to the ODCA. "You may contact ODCA about false or misleading claims about goods, services and prices and we will investigate the matter" - IBB comparing themselves to "other broadband suppliers", claiming down/upload speeds of 2Mb is false and misleading.

Just out of curiosity, what mast are you half connected to?

We would all like to know what mast your connected to?
    in other woards were do you live??

Ricey, I'd rather not say what mast I am on but I am in Dublin.

Canboid, they told me there were "issues" with my mast but what they are and how long they'll take to fix were unanswerable questions. They *said* they'd call me to give me an update later but my mind is made up. The service seems good for some, messy for others and life is waaaaaay to short when I can just keep my Eircom DSL connection in spite of lousy uploads.

Since I mostly use it for gaming and the pings are fine I don't care, the only downside is I can never host games.

Yeah, they said it was an issue with my high site, they said it was fixed, check out the results. Irish Broadband ROCK! They're getting an official complaint and cancellation request tomorrow.

The test is on ADSLguide.org where it takes into account overheads incurred by PPPoE or PPPoA... basically ignore that bit.

Sorry, the speed test tool on www.adslguide.org

I'm pretty annoyed right now. They assured me at 3pm that it was resolved. It's nice that they called me on my mobile without hiding caller ID :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Direction Actual Speed True Speed (estimated)
    Downstream 1649 Kbps (206.1 KB/sec) 1780 Kbps (inc. overheads)
    Upstream 2360 Kbps (295.0 KB/sec) 2548 Kbps (inc. overheads)

:)

Hmm, I don't think that helps me a lot but I'm glad yours doesn't suck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

if you do get it fixed though its well worth it

from what i hear the easiest way to cancel / get em to listen is to cancel the bank charges.

and also from what i see it really can depend on what mast your on, im 3rock here.

Advertisement