Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMO newbie - need recommendation.

Options
  • 22-06-2005 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Right lads,

I haven't played computer games in years (6/7, 'cept for a bit of CS in college years ago) but now that I have waaaaaaay too much free time (an arts student, on summer holidays, with no full-time job and no repeats:)).

I've decided to try an MMO (perhaps an RPG but I'm open to suggestions).

It has to be good, really good, we're talking sex life surrogate here (no, really :( ).

I hate fantasy/medieval themes, much prefer modern/sci-fi orientation.

Any suggestions?

and yes, I've watched all the purepwnage shorts...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

if you like super heroes then i reckon you could like City of Heroes (though im not the biggest fan of it)

Or check out Auto Assault, its in betas now so you could get a chance to test it.
    www.plaync.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

City Of Heroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Neocron, Anarchy online, or Planetside.

Matrix Online, WW II online, WoW (play a dwarf or gnome engineer and use your imagination :p).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Cheers lads, have something to work with now.

Matrix online sounds interesting, I'll check it out (maybe it's crap).

After I settle into one of these I have every intention of developing full blown autism, ADD and the ability to see through time...

Hmmm, sorry, I feel I need to rectify this situation :o

Neocron = I havent played it but its supposed to be good

Anarchy online = Great game, but I completely lost interest in a matter of days.

Planetside = Fantastic game, I just keep going back to.

Matrix Online = I havent played this, but I've heard varying reports from "Very Crap" to "Very playable". I wouldnt expect much, though.

WW II online = I havent played this, but I've seen screenshots/videos. Poor graphics, but "looks" like great gameplay.

WoW = WoW is either a love it or hate it game, also, its fantasy based, not sci-fi :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Star wars galaxies = like wow its an either and hate it or love it game... but it is scifi though
    Planetside = definatly one to go for, find myself going back to it all too often
    Neocron = dunno had mixed feelings about that one, would advise knowing someone who already plays before trying it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

I think Anarchy Online has an advantage in that you can play it for free (you have to pay for the expansion packs if you get into it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Thanks Lads,

been playing Anarchy Online for 2 days now...

...fell asleep with the kb and mouse on my chest, woke up at 10:00AM played 'till 8:30PM and then had breakfast...

My eyeballs hurt (really badly) and I no longer think of anything but my next EX points break (which is a good thing)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

kasintahan wrote:
    Thanks Lads,

been playing Anarchy Online for 2 days now...

...fell asleep with the kb and mouse on my chest, woke up at 10:00AM played 'till 8:30PM and then had breakfast...

My eyeballs hurt (really badly) and I no longer think of anything but my next EX points break (which is a good thing)...
    Ah the joys of MMOs.....:D

Seriously, I know the feeling. For the first 48 hours I never left my room, except for the occassional quick snack of coffee, brown bread and jam.And back to it again. After the intial excitement wore off though, it was pretty tiresome. Not to mention the fact that the level cap is 220 (or something?)

Anyway, if you still want to play it after the trial runs out, I'd suggest investing in it, as the expansions are something like a fiver each, so you'll get the full game and years of patches and support, for less than a more modern MMORPG.

Well, good luck with it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pyxxel

Good one... gave AO a short try myself once, loved the music and atmosphere but never got into it somehow.... maybe due to playing another game at the time and knowing lots of ppl there...

As mentioned elsewhere, I'm big into Second Life at the moment. It's a true online community... all in 3D. And it really is about FUN and nothing else - YOU decide what you wanna do. And... ALL aspects of FUN (winks knowingly) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Looking for the same advice as thread heading, I'm a FPS player but wanna try out a MMORPG, like Guild Wars ect and good tips !

Is WOW really worth it ?

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

Daoc .. yes it's old , but still damm good imo.

Good enough to keep me playing for nearly 3 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned EvE online.

I'm not playing it much anymore myself..

but its a really good game non the less.

check it out.

http://www.eve-online.com

:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

theres also Final Fantasy 11 Online, very good mmorpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Drapper wrote:
    Looking for the same advice as thread heading, I'm a FPS player but wanna try out a MMORPG, like Guild Wars ect and good tips !

Is WOW really worth it ?

D
    If you like FPSs, Planetside might be your cup o tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Drakar wrote:
    If you like FPSs, Planetside might be your cup o tea.

Guild WArs is what I got lads ! :-) Hope its good !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

Gonzo wrote:
    theres also Final Fantasy 11 Online, very good mmorpg.

Despite name it's not annoyingly fantasy based, you can even have guns, this is the best mmorpg out there (in my opinion).

I also played asheron's call, would of bought ac2 but initally people outside of certain countries weren't allowed buy game, So I said rats to that, then bought Earth: Above and Beyond, cancelled sub during free trial it was that bad.

FFXI just has a really nice feel to it, It's Japanese so there's a bit more involved in the game then just sending monsters back to Jesus and shouting Yee-Haw !

Age range of players in game is varied, I'm in a linkshell(clan) with average age of late 20's, 30's, but there are a good few American teenagers playing on ps2 with names like hotstud and I'm a sad F*ing yank look at me !

FFXI has a lot of Japanese and European players, Whereas a lot of mmorpg's tend to have mostly American players with peak time late at night. FFXI always has alot of people on, which makes it easier for finding parties.

Advertisement