Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beatles -v- The 'Stones

Options
  • 22-06-2005 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭

So, one of rock's oldest debates. The Beatles or the Rolling Stones, and why?

Although I like the Beatles, The Stones win it by a mile for me. I find their music much more complex and listenable. Their lyrics seem more meaningful and their back-catalogue is much more impressive. They're still going, too. If I could be that cool when I'm sixty, I'll be happy.

Beatles or The Stones? 22 votes

The Rolling Stones
    0% 0 votes
    The Beatles
    100% 22 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

The beatles will always win for me, them and elvis have made music what it is today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

pfffft. no way.

Beatles a mile. I can't see how there can be any artistic comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

The Beatles. No one will ever do what the did.They went from a boy band to a stoner band

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Illuvatar

The Beatles sound the same every song. They did nothing for music compared to others. The Stones on the other hand are more diverse and can actually be called rock, unlike the beatles. Though I can think of others that beat these guys by a long shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

hmmm.....................neither

• Advertisement

Illuvatar wrote:
    The Beatles sound the same every song. They did nothing for music compared to others. The Stones on the other hand are more diverse and can actually be called rock, unlike the beatles. Though I can think of others that beat these guys by a long shot.

so much wrong with this post i don't even know where to start.

i think its a safe bet though, that you know very little about music. very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Beatles, for the diversity of quality music.

From 2 minute pop songs, to acid induced drum loops, its fair to say they done it all.

Illuvatar, the uninformed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

the beatles definitely, thats not to say that the stones arent great also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

The Beatles -v- Anybody and it's still going to be the Beatles.

Better than Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

So, one of rock's oldest debates.

:confused:

Have i missed something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

Goodshape wrote:
    The Beatles -v- Anybody and it's still going to be the Beatles.

Better than Jesus.

Here Here..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I was never particularly fond of either, but after seeing how some people can become so mind-shreddingly, terrifyingly obsessed with the Beatles to the point of having your pencil case renamed John Lennon and being reduced to tears on hearing someone say "There are much better musicians around, you know", I'll go with the Stones any time.

so you reckon the stones are a better band because there are people who are obsessed with the Beatles.

interesting reasoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Never really understood why people liked the rolling stones, i've never heard a stones song that made me think they were anything worth listening to

Beatles are ok, can't say i'm a fan but i'd listen to their stuff b4 the stones anyway.

I never said it was logical.

I just can't listen to them without horrible mental images of neurotic shrieking nutbags popping up. It tends to dampen anyone's liking for a subject.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

Illuvatar wrote:
    whoa there partner,
    I'd suggest actually listening to all of thier music before you make a comment like that.
    Their sounds were extremely varied, one of the reasons they were so sought after and why so many different bands ever since then have replicated thier sound/music.
    seriously,
    The Beatles are the gods of rock tbh
    and Sarky....
    are you serious? saying the stones just to be different? come on now ;)

No, I'm saying the Stones because I don't associate them with the negative stuff I just outlined. It's very much a personal thing. The Beatles had a couple of songs I really quite enjoyed, but I just can't listen to them now.

Stupid children, ruining things I like...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭inflight

Beatles All the way, and I've had both influences in my house since I was a wee bit of a thing cos I've a Daddy who's a fan since the start. All their stuff isn't the same at all, how could you compare Paperback Writer to Penny Lane to Sea of Monsters to Eleanor Rigby?? (To name but a few..)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

Stones by a long shot. The Beatles were great for being the Westlife of their day, but the stones are a top class rock band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wrong poll question, it should be the Who vs the Kinks!

Both wipe the floor with Beatles and Stones.

Mike.

• Advertisement

you, my good man, live in your own little world it seems ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Where's the "I'd prefer eat my socks than listen to either of these" option???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

Ishmael wrote:
    Never really understood why people liked the rolling stones, i've never heard a stones song that made me think they were anything worth listening to

You clearly haven't heard Paint it Black, Wild Horses, Gimme Shelter, Brown Sugar, You can't Always Get What You Want, Jumpin' Jack Flash, Honky Tonk Women, Sympathy For The Devil, Get Off My Cloud ... Hell, I could be here all day.
    dregin wrote:
    Where's the "I'd prefer eat my socks than listen to either of these" option???

Explain yourself.

I honestly can't believe the number of people criticising The Beatles here.

How can anyone fail to give them credit for creating and influencing the best music in subsequent generations? Seriously, if you are unable to see the talent and genius behind The Beatles' catalogue you have very little understanding of music at all.

Granted, I'd imagine there's a number of 15 year old posters above who reckon wheezer and greenday are "teh win" but more who are just clueless.

The Beatles created modern music and no great act, now or since, will deny they were influenced by them.

heh quarrybuddy,
    you get me and I get you, we are probably Beatles soul mates :D

btw, my location was also once here, there, everywhere but no one got it...glad to see someone else out there with like mind. ;)
    now it says here and there in latin ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭28064212

It's clearly The Beatles. The Stones were great, Exile on Main Street was a genuinely classic album, but for pure musical and lyrical genius, no-one can possibly fault The White Album, Abbey Road, Sgt Peppers, Revolver.......
    OK they evolved from a very pop band initially, but it was classic pop. Back then it was groundbreaking stuff, it wasn't like today's pop where there's virtually nothing new

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

I reckon you'll find that most people who criticise The Beatles don't actually know their music. They may have heard Help, and I wanna hold your hand, but they haven't gone beneath the surface.

In saying that, I myself haven't listened to an awful lot of Stones, yet what I have I like, but I would still say The Beatles. I have now decided to go and acquire more Rolling Stones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

My Mum was a Stones fan and my Dad loved The Beatles so I grew up with them both and I dig them both... but I prefer the Beatles myself.

Sorry Ma :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

The Beatles are the best band ever! I loved the anthology, got it on dvd a few weeks back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭toffo

Like them both, but with a gun to my head.... the stones.

Advertisement