Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beatles -v- The 'Stones

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭scarfacemj

Here here man, The Stones till the day I die. Rock and or Roll as you like.
    The Beatles were and always will be a pop band, Love Me Do indeed!

Its only rock n roll but I llike it!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

Ancient1 wrote:
    Have i missed something?

Yes. Clearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Googe

I like the Beatles - a good band with good songs

But the Stones are simply amazing especially mid-period in my opnion. Keith Richards rhythms are just great and have not been rivalled since

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Yes. Clearly.

No i haven't because this was never a debate. Are you implying that they were in a competition of some kind? In that era it was the Beatles and the Stones, not the Beatles versus the Stones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Drevin Fairy

Goodshape wrote:
    The Beatles -v- Anybody and it's still going to be the Beatles.

Better than Jesus.

agreed, i was brought up on sergant peppers lonely hearts club band

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Illuvatar

quarryman wrote:
    so much wrong with this post i don't even know where to start.

i think its a safe bet though, that you know very little about music. very little.

Don't start. I've grow up with this stuff. The Beatles are so much better off solo then they were together. If anybody it'd be you who knows the least between us about music. The Stones actually plays ROCK music. The Beatles on the other hand are too mellow, not enough beat, compared to the Stones.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Of course the Beatles played rock music, they just happened to know how to use complex melodies and harmonies. I love the Stones, think they're great, but there's no way you can claim the Beatles "did nothing for music compared to the others". By the others, do you just mean the Stones? The Beatles have influenced virtually every band since then

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭scarfacemj

The Beatles were the first boy band, people forget that, so it cud be argued that they are responsible for the musical hell in which we find ourselves today. Yes they made some great records but so did many a band during that time.
    It just like in football: who's better Maradonna or Pele?
    The masses say Pele but those who understand the cause know the answer

The Beatles are the masses favourite, enough said

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Explain yourself.
    Eh, I don't like either band. At all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

The beatles are better than the stones in every way possible,
    they may have been the masses favourite, but that doesnt take away from their talent, and yes they may have been one of the first boy-bands but that doesnt take away from the later albums...which are some of (and include) the best albums of all time..
    beatles every single day of the year..

• Advertisement

So because more people like the Beatles, the Stones must be the best? Right. Equally, the Pele/Maradona comparison is crap. Both of them were beautiful players and scored wonderful goals. The general consensus, by experts ("in the know") and the public is that Pele was the better talent.

And the Beatles were not a boyband. Or rather they were, in that they were a band of boys, but not by today's chart hell definition. They understood music and wrote classic pop tunes. And if you follow your theory that less popular is inherently better, the Beatles later albums are by no means "popular" among the masses.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

I suppose Led Zepplin got his style of music from them?! If you say yes you're wrong. Other bands have done more for music than the Beatles by far and that's not just the Stones. There's also better music out there than both bands. But the Beatles just scratch the surface of music. Others have done better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

gotta go with the Beatles, not just for the music but what they did in the studio (production). Never really liked the Stones. Although would'nt classify the Beatles as best band of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Illuvatar wrote:
    I suppose Led Zepplin got his style of music from them?! If you say yes you're wrong. Other bands have done more for music than the Beatles by far and that's not just the Stones. There's also better music out there than both bands. But the Beatles just scratch the surface of music. Others have done better.

like who?

Illuvatar wrote:
    Nobody said anything about directly taking the Beatles style. Led Zeppelin were rock innovators in their own right. Virtually all bands are influenced by their great predecessors. Before the Beatles there was Presley and Holly, going back through Bill Haley to classic blues and country. However, the Beatles took their influences, transformed them and added their own take on music, lyrics and life to produce something which was entirely new and started off a whole new chapter of rock.

Go to the allmusic website, search for Led Zeppelin, read through the list of who they think influenced them. Shock! The Beatles (as well as the Stones) are on the list.

quarryman wrote:
    like who?

BOB SEGER

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Illuvatar wrote:
    BOB SEGER

Ah ha ha ha ah ahaa aha ahhahahah aha aha hah.

Sorry.

Illuvatar wrote:
    BOB SEGER
    Somebody else influenced by the Beatles (and the Stones)

http://www.rockhall.com/hof/inductee.asp?id=182

A good read on The Stones. Also the Beatles.
    The ending to The Stones:Through it all, no one has yet dethroned the Rolling Stones of their title as the World's Greatest Rock & Roll Band.

Also the Stones AND the Beatles influenced EACH OTHER.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

A Day in the Life ends this discussion. The only good thing ever to have come from The Daily Mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

A Day in the Life ends this discussion. The only good thing ever to have come from The Daily Mail.

rofl! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭2+2=5

Illuvatar wrote:

you are an ignorant ****in idiot... the beatles are the greatest band of all time

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

No question... The Beatles by far. Songwriting genii.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

2+2=5 wrote:
    you are an ignorant ****in idiot... the beatles are the greatest band of all time

i know, how dare he disagree with popular opinion on something as subjective as taste in music.

2+2=5 wrote:

You can't always get what you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Kitsune

The Beatles are far superior to the Stones in my opinion, though I wouldn't listen to either band that often. The only Stones song I ever really liked was Paint It Black whereas I could easily listen to most of the Beatles back catalogue. Elanor Rigby, Penny Lane, Yesterday and Sgt. Peppers stand out for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

It's a tough call, but The Beatles win by a hair's breath. Although I LOVE The Stones.

I think that The Stones kept aligned to the blues formula and guitars, whereas The Beatles seemed to branch out a bit more. 'Tomorrow never knows' was a breakthrough record and recording style, but Brian Jones did experiment with the sitar on 'paint it black'.

The Stones first song was written by The Beatles.

Bascially, The Stones are great for some full on sleazy rock 'n roll (oh I have changed my mind again!).,

I think The Stones work hasn't got as much coverage as The Beatles and that's why most people would prefer them.

Advertisement