Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swollen dog...

Options
  • 22-06-2005 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Strange title I know..

I have an 11 year old springer spaniel. This evening she's a bit off but we dnot' really think it's enough to ring an after hours vet number, if ye get me. So maybe you've seen this before and can put my mind at ease.

This evening we took her to the beach and she ran and ran for about 2 hours. Since she came back we've noticed her hind quarters are quite swollen - kinda at the top of her thighs, in towards her belly. I'm thinking it might be a kidney thing coz I'd imagine they're in that region. She's perking up a bit, and is drinking a little tea (her favourite!) but she's kinda waddling around and doesn't look very comfortable.

Half of me is really worried but the other half is saying that she'll be ok.

Anyone ever seen this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

phone a vet, I'm no expert on it but a distended stomach sounds like it could be gastric torsion, aka bloat, which is a life threatening condition unless its treated now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

Bambi wrote:
    phone a vet, I'm no expert on it but a distended stomach sounds like it could be gastric torsion, aka bloat, which is a life threatening condition unless its treated now

:( ****

I dont mean to be alarmist and i could be completly wrong..hope i am. I had G shepards for a long time and i was always wary of this as they can be prone to it. Maybe her joints are just swollen from a hard days walk. But if it was my dog i'd hit the phone. heres a link about it :(

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/bloat.html

Bambi wrote:
    I dont mean to be alarmist and i could be completly wrong..hope i am. I had G shepards for a long time and i was always wary of this as they can be prone to it. Maybe her joints are just swollen from a hard days walk. But if it was my dog i'd hit the phone. heres a link about it :(

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/bloat.html

No, you weren't being alarmist at all, don't worry. Makes sense to be wary.

After i read your post i googled an encyclopedia about it and she's not displaying any of the symptoms related ot it - the glassy eyes, the retching, the panting, salivating - none. I went out and she was actually perkier than she had been when i left - she was hopping up and lying down licking her paws. She's completely alert, so I'm happy that she doesn't have bloat. THANK GOD, it sounds like the most horrible, horrible condition. :(:(

Still no closer to figuring out what IS wrong with her but I really really don't think it's that anyway. Shall go to vet in morning.

Thank you Bambi.

No worries, hope it works out fine. I probably jumped the gun a bit when i saw the swollen dog title, i was always a bit paranoid about this condition as it sounds awful :o

• Advertisement

Yup, let's hope.

It's been 2 hours since we came back from the beach and she's actually improved in that time, rather than deteriorated, so I'm relieved.

The more I read about bloat the more I think it has to be the absolute worst way for a dog to die. Incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

How's your doggy today? Better, I hope

11 years is quite old for a dog. My guess would be that her hips or other joints wouldn't be the freshest anymore ...even if not actually affected by dysplasia or the like.

Anyway ...running up and down for two hours at the beach is a bit much ...especially for a pensioner !!

Dogs don't always feel pain as much as we do or don't show it as much and keep going even though something hurts.

Slow her down a bit the next time ...

Advertisement