Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campus tour

Options
  • 22-06-2005 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭

As a new student living abroad I would like to check out the facilities of UCD before applying. Since I don't have the option of going to the regular open days as they would clash with my school timetable do you know if it would be possible to view the campus and accomodation options on alternative dates? Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

The campus is open 24/7 so you can certainly wander about, but there's not a whole lot going on during the summer. Ring up the admissions/admin office and ask them, or perhaps the Students Union boards might be of assistance http://www.ucdsu.net/index.php click on "Boards" for their bulletin board system.

Aren't you Finnish? What are you doing in Birmingham?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Yeah, I'm Finnish. How did you know? I live in Birmingham because my parents got a better job offer over here. I lived in Dublin for 9 years before that(lived in Birmingham 1 year now). I sound and act like a Dub though.

Thanks for the advice btw. I didn't know if it'd be open or not. Need to have a look around a few places and find out about all the application procedures etc. as my career guidance people haven't got a clue about any of that. I always have to be awkward :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I know it's a bit off timewise, but there is an open day on the 3rd Sept. for mature students. You could just bunk in and explain your situation. I'm sure that the adult education people would accomodate you. Anyhow, I'll be one of the guides so tag on to my group and I won't ask questions!!

That sounds perfect, other than the date! I have an Opeth concert to go to on the 6th and my friend arrives over here a few days earlier. Thanks for the offer though. I hate being so awkward! Gives me an extra reason to come visit Dublin though I guess. Would you know if I'd be able to view the on campus accomodation too? I'm still not 100% sure what I want to do about living so would be nice to check out my options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Pod 78

I work in UCD and I was only thinking recently that there is no general induction campus tour for prospective/new students besides the library etc.. It is something that should be on offer. There are virtual tours on www.ucd.ie however, not expansive enough. Best bet is to contact the international office and someone from the office could take you on a walkabout and answer general questions about UCD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Pod 78 wrote:
    I work in UCD and I was only thinking recently that there is no general induction campus tour for prospective/new students besides the library etc..

the science faculty have been offering them for the last two years with great success. The faculty office and student Advisers combined on it

Good to know Uberwolf regarding Science Faculty, however there should be a centralised system for any prospective student of a general tour besides the annual Welcome days which obviously do not suit all persons. Perhaps something like the information centre which is/was in Newman House would be suitable for visitors to the main Belfield Campus. I don't know if the information centre still exists in Newman or not.

Would it be best to call up the college in advance? I'll be arriving in Dublin on Wednesday the 6th. Would I be able to wander around myself if there is no possibility of a guide and would I be able to see accomodation? I'm pretty sure I want to go to UCD but I would like to first see the facilities before I make my final decision. I also heard that if you're doing computer science you only get one practical every two weeks?!?! Any truth to that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

LadyLotts wrote:
    I also heard that if you're doing computer science you only get one practical every two weeks?!?! Any truth to that?

Computers through Arts is one lab (2 hours) a week, so I doubt.

I think the best of idea- would be as Uberwolf said contact the Science Faculty office http://www.ucd.ie/science/ and e-mail their student advisor and Associate Dean for Development to ask if someone could show you around and answer any questions that you may have. Alternatively or simultaneously e-mail the international office and ask if one of their staff members could show you around. But, naturally the science faculty could answer your questions in more depth. It is a very approachable Faculty so they would not mind the e-mails. Also e-mail or ring the accommodation office as they do give people a tour http://www.ucd.ie/accommodation.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

Of course as of September it'll no longer be the faculty of Science but either the;

College of Life Sciences:
    School of Biological and Environmental Science
    School of Biomolecular and Biomedical Science
    School of Chemistry and Chemical Biology
    School of Medicine and Medical Science

College of Engineering, Mathematical and Physical Sciences:
    School of Computer Science and Informatics
    School of Geological Sciences
    School of Mathematical Sciences
    School of Physics

A similar scheme applies to the rest of the University. Should be great fun come Septmber.

Advertisement