Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop from pc world.

• 22-06-2005 11:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭

I've got myself an advent 7027 from pc world. Got it about oct 03. Paid €635 for the anything happens for 5 years after service thingy. Anyway my problem is ... about a month an a half ago I formatted, not knowing that using a normal xp disk I would not be able to get half the bloody drivers back on it. Anyway, couldnt find drivers anywhere on net for it, and so just left it sitting there. Anyway 30 something days later (after exams) I realise I want to get it back up and running, so I turn it on and now have to reformat because windows wont let me in (couldnt activate before). So I go to format, half way through setup transferring files the laptop dies. I'm 95% sure its overheating. I've got the back of it elevate for better airflow and all. At this stage im sick of it overheating, its always done it so I ring up pc worlds helpline telling them about them about the problem and the guy tells me that because I used a normal xp cd to reinstall windows before that it wouldnt have had the right "tools" to control the temperatures and that if I wanted to return it to them that I would have to get a recovery disk for my make of laptop and return it to factory settings so it could be returned. Hard to do when it keeps overheating eh?

Anyway i'm just a little peeved that this "cover everything" plan I paid an arm and leg for is not covering everything. Now I have to fork out a tenner for a recovery disk from http://www.dsgrecovery.com/. Argh this laptop is so annoying, it overheats while doing sweet eff all. Anyway [/rant].

Is there any other way to get a recovery disk for my laptop other than buying one from that site? If I was to bring the laptop into pc world in liffey valley (where I bought it) would they use the recovery disk they have for me? (if they even have one there). And when they try it they will see the overheating problem themselves and thus have to replace it for me!

Agh sorry for the long post - probably better off in the get it off your chest thread!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

they talking B&^%&%& , the bios will control the temperature until their is an os on there , the software will then allow you to use the advanced Power management features of the processor via ACPI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

just read u have a cover plan , bring it back to liffey valley and get them to invoke your warranty , get it logged now so if they can't fix the hardware problem you will get a new /refurb laptop after their feeble attempts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

That sounds like a plan although ... I tried to install XP again and 30% through the copying I got an error and then the laptop died. So, I tried linux. Got Mandrake linux up and running on it at the moment though needs a fair bit of configuring (yikes!).

Yeah I thought the guy on the phone was talking through his as$ just didn't want to say it to him. If all fails with mandrake i'll format it and go into pc world as a distraught customer.

Advertisement