Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Racism in the house

• 23-06-2005 6:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

This is starting to get up my nose. the little racist comments that the members of "team Smug" are coming out with. This is going out on their live feed, I havent seen the last few 10 pm shows on channel 4 so i dont know if they are showing them.

Tonight I heard the worst one I heard so far on Big brother. Anthony referring to roberto, as "malteser head" to his friends saskia maxwell and craig.

I have also noticed that the house, instead of divideing by sex, it is dividing by race. you have your four white members on one side. four black and one italian on the other. Is this the first time this has happened on big brother?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

that never occurred to me actually, well spotted. All i know is Maxwell is really starting to piss me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Anthony referring to roberto, as "malteser head" to his friends saskia maxwell and craig

Do you not mean Derek? Apparently Saskia was the first one to call him that.

And yes, Maxwell is starting to get very annoying.

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭the jew

Eh, ever think you might be reading too much into a situation???? No doubt you have gone through your entire life without making one racist comments among your friends. Just cos someone says something when hanging round with their mates doesn't mean they are actually racist. None of my friends are black, guess I'm a big racist?????

Derek has been forthright since the start about his other hm's though.

Saying things in the diary room like they havent much in the top storey and asking BB to drop the blinds so he wont have to look at the ghasly people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭guest31

Good observation Billy ... I think this may become more apparent in the coming days ... will the psychologists spot it ? Probably ... but even more interesting, will they highlight it ? Cos it may be dangerous to highlight the black/white divide ... BB won't want to be seen as a racist show.

I started a thread a while back 'Black winner this year' .... I think what's different about BB6 (it is 6 isn't it!) ... is that there are very strong black contestants .. Makosi, Derek, Science ... usually the black contestants are kicked out quite early / rarely make it to the final 3 ... this year, strength in numbers means we are seeing more of a black contingent and thus, an apparent black/white divide ... I can see Makosi & Science going far ... unfortunately looks like Derek is out this week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

you have your four white members on one side. four black and one italian on the other.

Since you only used 9 of the 10 housemates in that theory I was about to disagree with you and use the 10th member as the key. But then I remembered it is Kemal (a Turk)! :eek: Looks like you could definetly be onto something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

indeed apologies i did mean derek. this season's big brother is a white supremisists wet dream. although it isnt putting old whitey in a good light if you ask me.

still though i wonder what the policy is on racism is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

How is it racist to call derek malteser head?
    He was making fun of him but i dont think its a racist comment. The world has gone way to overboard regarding racism. Its getting to the stage where is almost taboo to call someone a "black man".
    If he had a different attitude towards Derek for being black or treated him differently for being black well that would racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bamboozled

I never took any notice of any of the "racist" mentions up till now. I'm after reading your post billy and not I'm not so sure I should be ignoring stuff. I'm gonna watch properly and listen properly in future when its on. Multi-tasking stuffs it up, so I'll start paying attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

the jew wrote:
    Eh, ever think you might be reading too much into a situation???? No doubt you have gone through your entire life without making one racist comments among your friends. Just cos someone says something when hanging round with their mates doesn't mean they are actually racist. None of my friends are black, guess I'm a big racist?????
    Nah you're just a jew so your opinion doesnt count :p

j/k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

there are black and white people in the house,so why do you all assume the white group are the racist,cant black people be racist??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Slurms wrote:

j/k
    now that is racist

county wrote:
    there are black and white people in the house,so why do you all assume the white group are the racist,cant black people be racist??
    Yes they can, anyone can be.

But I havent been paying attention to thr comments so I gotta stay neutral till I hear them all talking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

craig : you should be in big brother zimbabwe, you would last longer in that."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Isn't your one Makosi from Zimbabwe? I assume he directed that comment towards her. How is that a racist comment?

It's quite clear that the split is white and black, but that doesn't mean it's racial. And as said above, if it is racial why do you automatically assume it's the white people that are racist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

whether or which there was a racial divide, there's definately a "team" divide now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

I think the malteaser thing means he's bald, althought I didn't actually see it. They're hardly going to call him a white malteaser head just to be on the safe side. Lol.

Did anyone see the thing on the pre-eviction show (I think that was it) and Makosi was sitting with the other.... eh.... ethnic members and started saying that the others (Saskia, Anthony, Maxwell, Craig) were sittign away from them and had separated themselves? In my opinion Makosi was the one sounding a bit racist. I mean you gotts be careful bringing up the allusion that someone's a racist. She just came off as being someone who thinks about that kind of thing. However I wouldn't really take anything from what Makosi says. I once saw her convince herself that the guys were staying in their boxes just to not be beaten by a woman! It was like, "Get over yourself you blasted eejit!"

I don't think anyone's being a racist.

Did anybody see the clip where she was talking with Kemal and Vanessa and said that, "Makosi has never happened to Big Brother before." Hmmm..... and annoying, egocentric, black woman? Yeah, that's never happened before :rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Ok the UK members of the house are being racist by telling the others to go back where they came from!
    By slagging off the colour of their skin and putting them down for it!

By lauging at Kemal and the others when they meditate, I cant see how ppl think the diva group are the rascist ones... they haven't even mentioned the divide as being a race one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭Whatever_fools

Dont think the divisions are black / white related, think it just so happens that the black people have similar personalities and therefore get on better. They're all mad as snakes (annoying c#nts if you like)

Whereas the others are more run of the mill (and not half as annoying) and therefore are sticking together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It's all gone PC mad.

Anthony nearly got himself into a lot of trouble but luckily enough for him he stopped himself before he said it.

He was complaining to Max and Saskia the other night about a comment Derek made about Anthony being from Newcastle. Apparently Derek said that he should go back to the Coal Mines or something like that and Anthony was just about to make a comment about Derek and Coal Mines but luckily enough for himself he stopped himself.

I don't think you'd have to be a genius to work out what he was going to say!!

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

still though i wonder what the policy is on racism is.
    If Hitler could increase ratings, C4 would do a show on raising him from the dead, to put him into the BB house, imo, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭the jew

Slurms wrote:

j/k
    Do I know you?

Advertisement