Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please HELP setting up Wireles Router!

• 23-06-2005 9:40am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

I got UTV Broadband the other day. It comes with a Creative Router which I was able to configure and get working fine. However I also bought a Linksys wirelesss router (http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=306185&cks=SER) and I'm having a nightmare trying to set it up. I was on to UTV support for about an hour last night and eventally gave up. I'm hopeless with networks, but the utv support guy said the Linksys was trying to take control of everything, when it should be letting the creative do all the work.

I could try playing around with loads of setting I don't understand for hours and maybe eventually get it, but I would perfer to get someone else to properly show me how its done. I live in Rathgar, Dublin, and was wondering if any network whizz would like to do a nixer and earn €20 by popping over and teaching me how to do this. I'm sure its simple when you know how but I've lost all patience and need to get it wokring asap.

If anyone is interested in giving me a hand please call or text me on 087 2490233 and if you can pop over after 6.30 tonight (thursday) I would really appreciate it.

Cheers,
    Colin.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I have the Linksys WRT54G wireless router and found it a doddle to get going.
    I plugged my ntl modem ethernet port into the back of the router ("Internet" port) and I was off (well, after plugging my laptop into the router, for configuration)

There may be some settings, that I don't need, to tell the router how to behave. I found a post that mentions bridging mode and another thread discusses PPoE and another mentions connecting to a modem that is a router

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks, I had a read of those links but don't think any of that will help me. Its a problem with the IP's i think. I log in using 192.168.1.1 foe the creative, using admin as the username and leaving the password blank. For the Linksys, its the same except the username is blank and the password is admin.

I was told by the utv tech guy that the IP address on the linksys had to be changed so we fiddled around and eventually it changed to 192.168.1.8 however then all it did was time out. Now when I put either ip in the browser it does nothgin and times out.

I'm totally lost, if anyone is anywhere near my area and would like to earn a few € and help me out please please give me a call, cause I'm pulling my hair out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

reset the linksys modem - there is a small reset button on the rear hold this in for ten seconds - before you reset it turn of the creative router then reset the linksys.

Login in using the default ip 192.168.1.1 password is default admin.

Change the ip adress of the router for example to 192.168.1.5 save the settings,

open a command prompt ping the router -

If this is okay power down the router - power up the creative router IF your isp assign's you a dchp ip (non static) you will need to bridge the router to the linksys router and set the linksys to dhcp out to the clients for instance.

That should be it.

I would pop out but i'm at home on call for the rest of the week and if i get a call i need to go straight away :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

What type of modem router is the creative ??

What are you running XP

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Cheers I'll give it a go. I'm using XP and the UTV modem is a Creative Broadband Blaster 8110: http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=7&subcategory=42&product=10280

I'll give tia go and call utv again, hopefully speak to comeone more helpfull this time... If anyone is around please let me know.
    Cheers
    Colin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Zascar wrote:
    Cheers I'll give it a go. I'm using XP and the UTV modem is a Creative Broadband Blaster 8110: http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=7&subcategory=42&product=10280

I'll give tia go and call utv again, hopefully speak to comeone more helpfull this time... If anyone is around please let me know.
    Cheers
    Colin

In fairness to UTV you state that you spent an hour on the phone to them and now you are looking for someone more helpful? ISP's do not undertake to support equipment that they do not supply and with the huge range of equipment out there it is difficult to blame them.

Actually you are completely right. I called up again last night and was told that they only really suppost their own router and that no one in there had any experience with wireless networks. The first time I called the guy told me that he had a Linksys router himself so fair play to him he was tring to help me out as best he could...

Anyway, last night I got it back to the stage of I can get on the net wiht the creative router, but can't get the linksys to work with it. Anyone else got any suggestions, or want to pop over some time this weekend to hlep me sort it out?
    Cheers
    Colin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Where abouts are you based? I might pop over if you're resonably local. Its always difficult to troubleshoot something you've never used before over the net, espeially if the person doesn't really know how to use the items in question.

What i'd recommend is the following... go into your creatives settings. Write down the IP it uses, and the SUBNET MASK its set to, for the local settings.

Then go into your liknsys's settings, and write in the SAME SUBNET and a different IP (once again, in the local network settings). Then take the cable coming out of your Creative, and stick it in a LAN port (not the WAN port) on your linksys.

When thats done, connect another LAN port on the linksys to your home computer. Then it should work without a bother. Technically.

If you've disabled DHCP, you'll have to manually set an IP on your main computer. In that case, just use the same SUBNET as before, and another new unique IP for your computer.

Don't forget to enable wireless security... mac filtering is the minimum you should use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you're desperate and just want it to work, then go to the linksys web page and on the support pages there's a setup wizard which does the whole lot for you.

failing that, as mutant fruit says, 'dial-a-geek'.

there's plenty of us pooter geeks here who would pop round and help you out.

Thanks Guys, I live in Rathgar, if anyone can pop around tonight or this weekend give me a shout on 0872490233.

Colin

• Advertisement

Sure i could probably pop up for a while if the instructions given don't work. I'd need directions from either Rathmines or Ranelagh though. I think Rathgar is near those, but don't know exactly where it is :p I'd be coming from the rathfarnham area.

EDIT: Its on the way to rathmines when i'm coming from rathfarnham. IIRC i pass through it... theres a church thingy at a Y junction i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 john_dooley

Hi,
    I have the same configuration - creative DSL modem/router connected to a linksys router - & I cant get them to work together.

Did you resolve your problems? If so can you post the solution?

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭hushm0nk3y

I had an IOL (BT) modem and a Linksys wireless router. You DO have to make your UTV modem think it's a bridge which you can do in the main screen. Once done and your modem is rebooted your wireless router will issue your IP address through the bridge and you should be able to get connected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 john_dooley

Hey,
    I didn't see any specific option to put the UTV modem in bridge mode in the menu options. Maybe I overlooked it? Can you point me in the right direction?

Note: I did disable NAT + DHCP (should be equivalent to putting it in Bridge mode?) but that didn't work.

Thanks
    John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭hushm0nk3y

not sure about the Creative modem but on ZYxel modem, it was in the WAN page setup. Change from PPOe to Bridge mode.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

This thread is nearly a year old, you're probably better off private messaging Zascar.

I'm the one who sorted zascar out on that one, i'd be happy to run you through the steps if you PM me your exact setup as it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Daz1989

I had problems for a few weeks with ZyXELPrestige 600 and linksys WRT54GS and they did not want to work together for anything more than 10mins but after trawling through linksys site i found that you change the i.p that the router is working off.

I changed the ip address in the router settings to 192.168.0.1 and they are working great together now!

Advertisement