Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm an idiot: MCE 2005 nvidia decoder and the joys of MCE 2005

Options
  • 23-06-2005 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hey all,
    A few months back I got it in to my head to build a MCE2005 box for my HT setup. If only I could turn back time and claw back some of that money! This is a long and troubled story...

I've a p4 2GHz(400MHz) with 512 of RAM
    865 chipset
    nvidia dual tuner card
    2*160Gb in raid 1
    onboard sound
    agp 8x 6600

so I installed mce 2005, installed the intel inf, drivers, windows updated, nvidia dvd decoder trial version (want pure view support)...all went well until I went to watch tv or play a dvd. Then decoder error!

So I tried the codec checkup utility, all seemed fine.
    Tried again...decoder error!

In an attempt to get it working I resorted to power dvd. There was dvd, there was sound, there was even tv, but it was stuttery...closer I thought.

I searched the greenbutton, tried upping agp voltages, disabling fastwrites, shanging drivers, everything that was suggested. Didnt change anything!

Thinking it was a lack of horsepower I put the tuner in to my games rig
    3.2 p4 (800MHz)
    1GB ram
    120GB hdd
    sb audigy 2 zs
    6800GT

repeated the entire install, same result, decoder error.
    Can anyone help?! Please! I'm half tempted to sell it off at this point :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What are you trying to watch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Youve got a P4 2ghz.... Why do you even need the hardware accelerated decoding ? It'd barely put a dent into your processor's cycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭MacXP_Irl

@ the_syco: analog cable tv, chorus
    @ Demon of the fall, its on a 400MHZ bus, I'll take as much cpu off loading as I can get. As I said it stutters using the power dvd codec.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

I've had very bad trouble tryin to set up chorus an analog, peice of SHHHHHHHHITE, THere are out dvd decoders out there
    Here's the currently supported decoders:

DVD Decoders
    CyberLink PowerDVD 5.0.2027C
    CyberLink PowerDVD 6.0
    CyberLink PowerDVD 6.0.1102
    Intervideo WinDVD 5.0
    Intervideo WinDVD 5.0 Build 11.670
    NVIDIA DVD Decoder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭statto

I had a decoder problem with MCE 2005 a while back. Tried every DVD decoder under the sun - no joy. It turned out to be the GFX card - I have an ATI 9800 pro. Found a MCE compliant driver for it and everything worked out file. Try looking for a MCE driver update for your GFX card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭MacXP_Irl

new mce certified driver came out for my gfx card yesterday, that was a bit of luck, all seems to be ok now. there's still a bit of minor stuttering. I'm thinking of getting a 2.8 Celeron D and some faster ram than the pc2100 I'm using. What do you guys think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Try getting a p4 2.4 with hyperthreading, that would be good step up i'd say. You probably wouldnt gain a lot going to a celeron

Advertisement