Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to get music on my nokia 6230?

Options
  • 23-06-2005 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

ok, i've a nokia 6230.

it has a 32mb chip in it.

how do i transfer mp3 songs to it, don't think my laptop has bluetooth by the way.

do i need to get some sort of usb adapter for the memory card?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

The easiest (and fastest - bluetooth is VERY slow for MP3 files which are typically at least 5MB a song) is to take the MMC card out of the phone and stick it into a card reader. Check if your laptop already has a built in card reader - they are common enough. If it supports SD, it support MMC as well which is the card type in the Nokia.

If you don't have a card reader, they are cheap to pick up. Here's an el' cheapo on Komplett for €13 (but you pay €10 shipping with anything from them):

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=308816&cks=SER

Of course, with 32MB, you'll probably get under 10 tunes on the phone, so don't expect it to match even flash based MP3 players out there. The 6230 should support up to 512MB or 1GB - check the manual. That would cost quite a bit more to upgrade...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

thanks. i've a new dell inspiron 9300, i'll check if there's a reader on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Alvis

I have the 6230 and I have a bluetooth USB adaptor for it.
    It's not really that slow to transfer MP3s. I also don't like the idea of opening the thing every time I need to transfer something.

Another adavantage of having bluetooth now is that you will be more prepared in the future where more things will include bluetooth support such as printers or newer phones which use all sorts of cards that you might not have a reader for.

The 6230 can only go up to 128 mb.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

the dell has an SD slot, supposedly this means you can stick the MMC card
    in too as it has the same pinout, but I have never tried it myself..

the data cable for the 6230 is also available on ebay quite cheap (copies not oems).

Lastly I have a 1GB MMC card in my 6230 and it works fine, check out mobymemory
    and howard forums etc for more info.

The 128mb limit is in the nokia specs but there is no actual limit, you just have to fiddle around with the folders and stuff on the MMC card..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

daveym wrote:
    the dell has an SD slot, supposedly this means you can stick the MMC card
    in too as it has the same pinout, but I have never tried it myself..

Yep, that's correct - I use the MMC of my 6600 in the SD slot of my USB card reader all the time. Both card types are laid out in the same way...

Nice one on the 1GB though, you'll get a nice chunk of music on that, Paperclip...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Adviser

I you have hosting, you could always upload files to it, then type the adress into ur fone and download it. This is the best option for me because I have free wap/gprs

example, sign up for a lycos website account. Upload your mp3 e.t.c to it then goto the address in your fone, something like

members.lycos.co.uk/your-site-name/your-file-name.mp3

~Adviser

Advertisement