Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what words aren't used enough these days

Options
  • 23-06-2005 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭

I heard the word progeny for the first time in ages yesterday, and it's a great word. e.g. "Sir, your progeny spilt iced cream on my rug, so I've had them removed and exterminated. the bill will be forwarded".

Any other good words that have fallen out of everyday use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

'Defenestrate'. It means to throw out a window. I'm not sure if it was ever used commonly, but it should be, damnit.
    In my recollection, the only book I've seen it used in was 'The Stand' by Stephen King.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've heard defenestration used in a movie or TV show. I'll post it if I think of the name, funnily enough it involved someone being thrown out of a window.

I like "ilk". As in "You and your ilk are not welcome around here"

• Registered Users Posts: 45,774 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Sibilant and sibilance are used enough in books (*waits to see if there are any David Gemmel fans...*)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭disillusioned

In my opinion appropriate and whole words are not used enough!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I love the words 'oikofugic', 'bellicose' and 'platitudinous'. they mean 'the incredible desire to wander', 'aggressive and warlike' and 'extremely boring' respectively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

Balderdash. Love that word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭IANOC

i find "please" and "thank you" are not used enough.........................

but seriously mine is FUSTIGATE.
    which means to to be "humoursly predantic"

but the latin , which it came from means to "Cudgel or Beat" to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

IANOC wrote:
    i find "please" and "thank you" are not used enough.........................

but seriously mine is FUSTIGATE.
    which means to to be "humoursly predantic"

but the latin , which it came from means to "Cudgel or Beat" to death.

I was wondering how long it would be before somebody went all grannyish, hmmm is there a word to imply grannyishness!

I thought Fustigate was a made up word!
    Fishie wrote:
    I love the words 'oikofugic', 'bellicose' and 'platitudinous'. they mean 'the incredible desire to wander', 'aggressive and warlike' and 'extremely boring' respectively.

oikofugic is not on dictionary.com. looks more like japanese, are you sure it's a real word!?

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

'hum' or 'mead' are not used

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

'Defenestrate'. It means to throw out a window. I'm not sure if it was ever used commonly, but it should be, damnit.
    In my recollection, the only book I've seen it used in was 'The Stand' by Stephen King.
    It was also used in a David Eddings book. One character used it to a joke effect - the other character (male) thought she meant to do something else to someone when he heard the word.

I'm currently reading 'The Baroque Cycle' and there's so many words there that we ought to hear more often. I've particularly grown partial to his use of "phant'sied" - an archaic form of "fancied" I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

theCzar wrote:
    I heard the word progeny for the first time in ages yesterday, and it's a great word. e.g. "Sir, your progeny spilt iced cream on my rug, so I've had them removed and exterminated. the bill will be forwarded".

Any other good words that have fallen out of everyday use?
    Actually, a shortened and rather crass version of 'progeny' is still in common usage today: sprog.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

indubitably, tbh

IANOC wrote:
    "humoursly predantic"

If we're being pedantic, the correct spellings are "humorously pedantic".

ixoy wrote:
    It was also used in a David Eddings book. One character used it to a joke effect - the other character (male) thought she meant to do something else to someone when he heard the word.
    If that was when some character thought a defenestrator meant a murderer, then I remember that, faintly...

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

theCzar wrote:
    I thought Fustigate was a made up word!

I don't see why. Fustigate is a perfectly cromulant word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

"Gusto".

It's a great word, and it should be used for more, and with, well, gusto.

I quite like "trebuchet". And splendid.

Back when I played Age of Empires, it was all about trebuchets.
    Such splendid weaponry. =D

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fenny

Rather. I know people still say it, but damnit, it should be said even more! Quite. Not used in the adjective sense, say, but just alone. Quite. Histrionics is fun to say, and so is fustigate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Good thread!

There's a lot of words that don't get anywhere near enough use. Some that come to mind are :

1) Discombobulated

Usage: The presenter was discombobulated by the jeering crowd.

2) Apoplexy

Usage : The sight of his daughter threw him into a state of apoplexy.

3) Obsequious

Usage : The obsequious reporter praised Jackson's taste.

4) Obstinate

Usage : "He's very intelligent, isn't he?" "Yes, but he's an obstinate fcuker"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

A personal favoutire of mine, eviscerate.
    Definity in need of increased usage, especially around the time of yearly job reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭IANOC

Shabadu wrote:
    If we're being pedantic, the correct spellings are "humorously pedantic".

thank you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Dar wrote:
    I don't see why. Fustigate is a perfectly cromulant word.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

nidifugous

example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Discombulated and exuberant, respectively. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Easily_Irritated

pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

The word "bun" just isn't used enough! People say "cake" for everthing! Well I for one am sick of it!

Ah, but a bun and a cake are different things. Buns are like fairy cakes, and cakes are... cakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

I know! That's what I'm saying! But people rarely say "bun" even when it is a bun!
    You pickin' up what I'm layin' down?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Treemenjeous (tremendous) was an everyday word 20-30 years ago now its almost dissapeared from day-to-day coversation in my experience.

Mike.

Advertisement