Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL and cisco VPN client

• 23-06-2005 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi

Is there anyone on NTL and using Cisco VPN client software? Friend of mine is having no luck connecting into work.

If you are using it did you have to change any settings on the modem, etc?

NTL support didn't know what a VPN was :-(

thanks

nagero

ps It is at times like this the 3l etter search restriction is a right pain.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, I use the Cisco VPN 3000 software with NTL on both windows and Linux.

I didn't need to make any changes to the NTL modem. If your friend has a wireless router or firewall (hardware or software) he might need to make some changes.

Most likely the problem is that your friend needs to enable NAT Transparency, I don't have the details right now, however the following should help:
    http://www.rice.edu/it/network/offcampus/vpn/FAQ.html#nat

If this doesn't work let me know and I'll check my settings when I get home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I use Cisco VPN through NTL (via a wireless router, though makes no difference).
    I am on Windows using "Cisco Systems VPN Client Version 4.0.3 (D)"
    I had it working when using dial-up. I didn't have to make any change when I got broadband.

For "Transport" I use "Enable Transparent Tunneling" and "IPSec over UDP ( NAT / PAT )" though this may be a company-specific setting.

Edit: Is the IT guys at your friend's office able to help? Surely at least one of them uses VPN over broadband, and maybe even one of them using NTL too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭nagero

It is really odd, he can make the connection but it fails to obtain an IP address for the VPN'd connection.

Works fine when tested in work :-(

Advertisement