Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield Etiquette ???

Options
  • 23-06-2005 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

What , if any , is the etiquette ?

Just wondering as never really played much of 1942 , and just getting into BF2 this week .

ie : assaulting their base , I kinda go with .... bomb it to destroy planes or heli , uav ,radar . parachute in as special forces to blow up same and kill anyone that gets in the way . But don't really hang around the base to mount up the frag count .

Whats the story with whats considered "general lameness" . ?

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Spawn camping. If you can capture a base, that's fine, but if it's the spawn base you can't capture (big red X) don't fly around over it bombing people as soon as they spawn. It's annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I fecking hate base camping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Base camping is the worst....this newbie on the TIG server the other day flew into base.....jumped into anti air gun on the back of the ship and just start killing everyone when they spawned......I had to arti my own team mate to get rid of him :eek: ......

Team killing is another

Sitting at heli pad waiting for chopper and then flying off with only one person in it to crash 20-30 secs later into a bridge or spent 20mins flying around in one big circle trying to learn how to fly.....stay away from choppers if you cant fly or practise in BFV single player...will pick up BF2 choppers easier then......

Same goes for planes

I tend to let other people fly me about cos I cant fly. Another thing which annoys me is this and doesnt necessarily apply to just bf2. I like jeeps as they are the quickest way from a to b. But when some fecker jumps into one just to drive over to a plane/chopper/tank quicker, it really pisses me off. Also hate team killing although I think everyone is entitled to a mistake every now and then. I know ive had my fair share. /me has itchy trigger finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭MrTimewalk

I'm not sure if it classes as etiquette, however I've found that the univeral gesture for "I'm aboard and ready" on any given vehicle is to fire a few rounds from the heavy machine gun :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

Last night, and always when I spawed and took a jeep, id drive over to people and beep the horn and when I was full I left.

Some guy last night (noob something) got in one and drove off with 5 of us waiting, and I fired at him to get his attention he says, "sorry, no can do" I forgot he must have been rambo. :rolleyes:

Agree with the choppers, its pretty simple, if you cant fly, dont fly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

-Al- wrote:
    Last night, and always when I spawed and took a jeep, id drive over to people and beep the horn and when I was full I left.

Some guy last night (noob something) got in one and drove off with 5 of us waiting, and I fired at him to get his attention he says, "sorry, no can do" I forgot he must have been rambo. :rolleyes:

Agree with the choppers, its pretty simple, if you cant fly, dont fly.

my motto: "if you cant fly, dont try"

Think will start practicing the art of flying offline when I get it. I can fly about and ocassionaly land but as for killing anyoone when im in it. Not a chance.

MrTimewalk wrote:
    I'm not sure if it classes as etiquette, however I've found that the univeral gesture for "I'm aboard and ready" on any given vehicle is to fire a few rounds from the heavy machine gun :)

Same here.....also when I jump in the jeep will always let off a few beeps if anyone around me and wiat for 10-20 secs as long as a chopper aint over head....if nobody jumps in then will drive off....also if I hear someone ask for a lift will stop and reverse back and pickup.....

Watch reversing because if you tip them they are dead and you get a team kill which is a pain in the ar*e

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Big Nelly wrote:
    stay away from choppers if you cant fly or practise in BFV single player...will pick up BF2 choppers easier then......

Same goes for planes

Previous to this I couldn't fly ( some would suggest I still can't :mad: ) , but if you start the multiplayer and then click "create local" you can practise to your hearts content

What about when all flags are captured ? do you sit and defend ? or charge in and stop them comming out ? we have a tendency to sit and defend , makes the game more fun .

• Advertisement

has there been any change to the choppers flight caracteristics since BFV, i was readin the chat on the Bf2 offical, and some guy asked will they be changing the physics back to BFV for choppers, they feel similar enough to me, a little more real, but not worse.

jonski wrote:
    What about when all flags are captured ? do you sit and defend ? or charge in and stop them comming out ? we have a tendency to sit and defend , makes the game more fun .

Attack with choppers/airplanes/arti....wouldnt put someone sitting on deck in anti-air giving the opposition no chance at all to try and fight back.....no fun in that at all and it is only a game.....wats the point in sitting looking out at a ship with someone killing everyone.......thats my way anyway.....rest of teams I would have lined up prepaired to defend once the boats start coming.....then the crack starts.....great game last nite where the boats where coming over and capping flags and we where trying to defend like mad men.....was a laugh!! :D

-Al- wrote:
    has there been any change to the choppers flight caracteristics since BFV, i was readin the chat on the Bf2 offical, and some guy asked will they be changing the physics back to BFV for choppers, they feel similar enough to me, a little more real, but not worse.

Well when you first start you have to invert the controls......after that no.....choppers handle a bit different....was certainly easier to fly a huey in BFV than any of the choppers in BF2 so far....but this is only the demo mind you...... the first time I took off in a chopper in BF2 it was head first into the first building....went and did some practise on a server with nobody on it and fairly usefull on them now...still practise makes perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Imo the only difference is that choppers in BF2 feel heavier. Thats about it. Makes them easier to land, but more difficult to manouver.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

There seems to be no concistency on spawn raping tbh.
    The other night TIG guys were rightly getting onto guys from our team [US side] bout flying over enemy airbase [uncappable] and driving tanks into it etc.
    5 minutes later myself and a few mates on our TS could not believe seeing 4 TIG members climb up a ladder on our ship and proceed to lie prone taking out our team as we spawned.
    It got worse as a few seconds later one of the lads says in TS theres 2 more climbing up side of ship,lo and behold here was 1 more TIG member looking to join his clan mates who were rightly laying down the law 5 mins earlier.
    Lots of head scratching was be had by us tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

its a tough one to call cully...noone likes being spawnraped, but it can be a right laugh tearing around an enemy base in a tank/huey seeing how long you can last and how many people you can take out before they finally blow you up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Dcully wrote:
    There seems to be no concistency on spawn raping tbh.
    The other night TIG guys were rightly getting onto guys from our team [US side] bout flying over enemy airbase [uncappable] and driving tanks into it etc.
    5 minutes later myself and a few mates on our TS could not believe seeing 4 TIG members climb up a ladder on our ship and proceed to lie prone taking out our team as we spawned.
    It got worse as a few seconds later one of the lads says in TS theres 2 more climbing up side of ship,lo and behold here was 1 more TIG member looking to join his clan mates who were rightly laying down the law 5 mins earlier.
    Lots of head scratching was be had by us tbh.

They got pissed off with your teams lack of manners and though they would return the favorer maybe? i often do that if some one tks or runs me down with out saying sorry or I know they ment it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Locutus

OK, I know its evil and wrong and bad and.... but anyway I just like going to the MEC airbase and taking out the Jets or choppers as they take off (i.e. wait until someone gets into them) with a SRAW or C4 charge, then nip back and take out the communications thingy or grab a tank.

Evil, wrong etc. but then you get MEC players who like to grab an APC and hang around in the boat bay. Also evil, wrong and bad.

Anyway, sniping isn't exactly sporting, is it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

They got pissed off with your teams lack of manners and though they would return the favorer maybe?

Possibly but from running our own game servers a golden rule we enforce is dont retaliate ,two wrongs dont make a right.
    TBH i honestly feel its anything goes on most servers until the game comes out and proper admin mods etc.
    Until then it seems everyone is just happy to play the demo.
    Serious adminning and server rules i expect will be enforced as i say once admins have full control on TIG and indeed all decent servers.
    I seriously doubt any of the above will happen then on TIG or anywhere,i hope :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

One of the most frustrating things is when someone punishs for a TK after they run over your mines. WATCH WHERE YOU ARE GOING! There is a reason the have a red skull on top of them and if you are stupid enough to hit them, don't punish.

• Advertisement

I'd say the majority of this is down to that if no action is taken on the tk after a certain amount of time the server automatically punishes you. Personally I've only recently gotten into the habit of looking at the bottom of the screen after being tk'd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

If someone gets to a plane before you and you stand in front of it waiting to be tk'd purposely, that peeves me off to no degree. Also when a friendly beats you to a plane or chopper so you decide to c4 it. Agh.

If someone gets to a plane before you and you stand in front of it waiting to be tk'd purposely, that peeves me off to no degree. Also when a friendly beats you to a plane or chopper so you decide to c4 it. Agh.
    That shít just ain't down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Was playin there today as MEC. Seen someone in a APC just firin at our own Radar. Why????? If wanna hit our radar join the other side ffs. Just stuck 2 C4 charges on him as he was so bored :p

OK we had all the flags but could go till the coast & defend any comin over. Not like our base can be taken over so why hang about.

Sayin that I was there too, but was gonna grab aircraft :p Patrol the skies :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

That shít just ain't down.

Happens to me ALL the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

If a team controls everything else on the map, then theres no logical reason for them not to attack the other teams base, it makes sense. it won't last long if the defending team have a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

koneko wrote:
    Spawn camping. If you can capture a base, that's fine, but if it's the spawn base you can't capture (big red X) don't fly around over it bombing people as soon as they spawn. It's annoying.

Bah thats crap Spawn killing is the games way of telling you suck and the other has whooped you good and is now feasting on mega kill numbers because you sucked enough to allow it to happen.

Breaking out is your objective :D

Hate people who whinge about that when simply not sucking during the round would have fixed it.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

Agree with Kdjac there.

You have no right to moan if you've let that happen.
    If you've capped all the capable flags then why would you sit back give them a chance?

Anyway its not that hard to spawn as AntiTank and take out the offending vehicle and run like a hot snot to the next flag!! Its good fun actually.
    :D

Just to be clear, I'de only condone this if all flags are already taken. Not at the start of a game :mad:

In fairnaess I havent come across any camping muppetry since playing bf2 demo so im probably just ranting now.

I go.

Wavey

some guys last night thought it would be fun to drive a tank and fly a chopper up to the MEC base and kill/destroy everyone and everything.

And no, there were plenty of other flags for them to go for, just gettin the kill count up I suppose. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭fightin snr

It`s one rule we always had on the (NRG) servers no base rapin untill ALL flags were capped.................clan matches ,well there a different story :D

Advertisement