Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL on Dublin's northside?

• 23-06-2005 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Usual story: trying to decide who to go with, like the sound of NTL, but they're not in my area (Phibsboro, Cabra exchange area) yet, and would love some idea of the probability of them getting here soon. Are there any areas on the northside bb enabled yet? And if so, any close to D7?

My phone line is crap (dial-up internet connection drops constantly - eircom have admitted there's a problem, but since it doesn't affect voice, they're not contractually bound to do anything about it; as a result, I wouldn't give eircom my business even if they were brilliant), and I think I've gathered that this means that any phone line based bb would be crap too? In which case only choice is IBB's Breeze lite (Ripwave not in my area). Or NTL, if only they could get to me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Get IBB Breeze Lite, since you have no other option.

I'm on the 2Mb 48 euro package with IBB and that is fine.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I have NTL in D9, just off Griffith Avenue. Great service. On the phone a NTL CS person told me that they plan to cover the whole of Dublin by the end of the year. I don't know if I would trust them on that, unless I heard it from an engineer. The CS people rarily know what is happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

bk wrote:
    On the phone a NTL CS person told me that they plan to cover the whole of Dublin by the end of the year.

They said that last year as well

I doubt much will happen until the take over is fully sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Dopey

NTL are in Dublin 7 since two month ago. I am a stone thorw away from Cabra. My DSL is through the Cabra exchange.

When my broadband contract expires I'm going to switch to NTL.

Best of luck.

Dopey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Rolo Tomasi

Just spoke to NTL who said they have a deployment plan in progress that should see all of Dublin covered by mid-August. We live in hope!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

They said that last year as well

I agree, I have never believed what NTL said in the past, however they do seem to have changed a lot in the last 6 months.

They have promised to cover all of Galway and Waterford by the end of the summer and in fact I hear they are actually ahead of schedule. So I think changes have changed a lot at NTL and they might actually be telling the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

NTL keep saying we'll have the whole of xxx covered by xxx.

Does anyone know of any areas that have come online in the last month? Anybody received a "You are now covered" leaflet through the door?

Adey2002 wrote:
    NTL keep saying we'll have the whole of xxx covered by xxx.

Does anyone know of any areas that have come online in the last month? Anybody received a "You are now covered" leaflet through the door?

I did about 3 months ago, I'm in D9.

They are supposedly concentrating on Galway and Waterford at the moment and will be returning to finish Dublin after Galway and Waterford.

I believe this is because Galway and Waterford are newer networks and therefore easier to upgrade, the areas remaining in Dublin are the more difficult areas, with very old and bad equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭capistrano

I am in D7 and I have had NTL broadband since then end of last year. There's at least one other regular boards user in D7 too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭iano

bk wrote:
    I have NTL in D9, just off Griffith Avenue. Great service.
    Would you be able to say which road or estate off Griffith Ave? I don't think they have service in the areas around Corpus Christi church yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

i'm on ntl in D7 since october last year. So far the service has been good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

bk wrote:
    I have NTL in D9, just off Griffith Avenue. Great service. On the phone a NTL CS person told me that they plan to cover the whole of Dublin by the end of the year. I don't know if I would trust them on that, unless I heard it from an engineer. The CS people rarily know what is happening.

Did they tell you when it came into the area? I am in D9 and heard nothing

Did they tell you when it came into the area? I am in D9 and heard nothing

Yes, well I'm a NTL TV customer anyway, so then sent me two letters and I believe they also called to let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

bk wrote:
    Yes, well I'm a NTL TV customer anyway, so then sent me two letters and I believe they also called to let me know.

I wonder what ay they break the areas down. I am also a NTL TV customer. I was thinking about getting sky plus and moving to Smart too. Between the two it will cost me about what I pay now between phone,tv and internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

NTL & Blueface, the way to go!

I wonder what ay they break the areas down. I am also a NTL TV customer. I was thinking about getting sky plus and moving to Smart too. Between the two it will cost me about what I pay now between phone,tv and internet.

I believe their areas are broken down by the road side cabinets. I think they did the newer/easier ones in Dublin to start with.

BTW FYI
    Sky+ and Smart will cost:
    €45 + €35 = €80 pm

NTL Digital + BB (2m) + UTV Talk (line rental plus free off peak calls) costs:
    €10* + €35 + €25 = €70 pm

* You get the basic service (a requirement for digital) free for 12 months. Off course you don't get any cool DVR product with this :(

The UTV setup gets you free local and weekend offpeak calls, which you don't get with the Smart package.

Advertisement