Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Aural Exam, how was it.

Options
  • 23-06-2005 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

I thought that went very smoothly. Pretty standard all round!

When they played "Hallelujah" from Handel's Messiah, we all thought that was a very appropriate soundtrack for the last question on the paper. It left us feeling quite happy.

I smiled (respectfully) to myself.. but the girls, being girls and always having to share their emotions with eachother, each looked around the exam hall at eachother and laughed giddily when this music started playing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

Lol yes a very fitting finish.Yeah that was pretty easy, but that just gives them more excuse to give a hard composing paper. I'm so pleased Barry came up. I thought the Irish music was average. I had no idea of the first 3 essays so I was so relived when my eyes scrolled down to the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭:Keith:

Very easy I thought. I got luck with the essay. I did the fourth one about traditional music development and I'd done the same one for my mocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

What the hell did people do for the bass in the harmony question??? The opening was crazy. I fear i lost lots of marks there, just put in mostly minims throughout...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭scorpy

excellent paper, my favourite part of bach came up! and the hallelujah question was great; I could do the dictation without even hearing the CD because I've sung it before and I know how it goes. YAY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭inflight

It was an odd kettle of fish I thought! No bar numbers or nuffin! But I think I did well, so I'm pleased enough.. I'm ashamed to say that in the melody in Paper II I spent a good ten minutes trying to figure out what the f*ck the key was.. Ahem C minor! For the love of god! And you can vary the rhythm in the bass a bit, I stuck rigidly to the chord itself and I am FINALLY FINISHED THE LEAVING !!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Yeah, I was pretty happy. The C minor was a bit weird but the irish listening was nicer than I'd expected. I did the question 4 and it wasn't bad at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Hey scorpy: change your avatar.

Excellent, very straightforward paper that was. Gerald Barry was the 25 marker and was on the first three sections, knew these parts better then anything, couldn't have asked for better. Irish music was a dobble. I even studied Romantic music and it came up under the Tchaikovsky question (and I did very little "in-depth" study for this exam). In general everything was just so simple.

Composing was undoubtebly going to be where I lose marks in compensation but, with the three-hour break, I got some useful information into my brain. I thought the harmony was slightly difficult but the minor melody, no modulation. Beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 jennifer

finished! wow what an anti climax! clubbing tonight for the first time since....well Saturday and Sunday night but hey all my friends were finished already.
    Lovely paper..just hope that doesn't mean harder marking! Hello - Irish music?? What singing style is it and give some features!! If everyone in the country didn't get seannos i'd be completely shocked.
    Backing chord was fine in theory but the bass was off-putting. C minor was the nicest key they could have given us for a minor melody and the opening was quite nice to finish.... Woo Finished!! ....better get ready! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭<Jonny>

Crappers, i didn't know the key on the composition question.

Oh well, I did alright on the rest of the music exams. I think I might have gotten a B overall, if i'm very lucky. We'll see...........Probably a C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭inflight

Yeah it was strange they didn't specify to modulate but I did anyhoo just for habit's sake, to the major. So glad I finished with a nice exam:)

• Advertisement

hey freak: I like my avatar ^_^

I modulated to the major for my melody. it's what my teacher taught us, so I guess it's impressive or something since modulation's tricky enough without it being in a minor key.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Thief.

*shrugs* if I could replace it with something I made myself I would. prettiest default av on boards in my opinion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

For Q5,in the second half of each bass cleff bar, were you meant to put the harmony bass notes on the 2nd and 4th quavers? For example if the chord was Dfalt, you might have C-Db-Eb-F.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

inflight wrote:
    Yeah it was strange they didn't specify to modulate but I did anyhoo just for habit's sake, to the major. So glad I finished with a nice exam:)
    They dont insist on a modulation when the key is minor but you can if you want. It makes it more interesting and shows of your skills more. You can go to the relitive major or the dominent. I was pritty pleased with it all in all. Spent about 5 minutes trying to figure the first chord in Q5 so I just gave up and did Q4 instead

Advertisement