Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Drive gone bust.

Options
  • 23-06-2005 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've got a old 4GB hard drive which I believe has "gone bust".
    My BIOS reads it, but when I set this as the only hard drive and as the master the operating system installed on it won't load.

When I set it as a slave and loads Windows from my new hard drive I can see the older drive( D:\ )

However when I click it, it says that it's not formatted and asks to do it now.

It's has all the signs that the data on it is gone for good?

Any chance I could save it, as there alot music on it that I'd like to keep.

Thanks
    Tim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Have you got access to some recovery software like easy recovery pro? That should be able to get most of your stuff off it, assuming you've another hard drive with plenty of free space to put it on.
    You can also try this bit of software which worked for me in the past: GetDataBack - I think they have trial versions you can download.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Thanks for that.
    I'll have a look for a free/trial version of that kind of software.

Stephen wrote:
    Have you got access to some recovery software like easy recovery pro? That should be able to get most of your stuff off it, assuming you've another hard drive with plenty of free space to put it on.
    You can also try this bit of software which worked for me in the past: GetDataBack - I think they have trial versions you can download.

I tried that GetDataBack utility and it looks very goods and it's find all my files but won't let me restore them with the trial version.

Anyone know of any software that is free that might do the job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭davie_b

I tried that GetDataBack utility and it looks very goods and it's find all my files but won't let me restore them with the trial version.

Anyone know of any software that is free that might do the job?

the trail version is actually the full version as no self respecting p.c. user is allowed 2 say any thing that maybe dodgy(illegal!!!)

if you look at a non reputable website 1 maybe able 2 get a crack or a serail number there!!!!

just a taught!!!
    you wont find better soft ware 4 recovery then what was suggested

davie_b wrote:
    the trail version is actually the full version as no self respecting p.c. user is allowed 2 say any thing that maybe dodgy(illegal!!!)

if you look at a non reputable website 1 maybe able 2 get a crack or a serail number there!!!!

just a taught!!!
    you wont find better soft ware 4 recovery then what was suggested

Where could you find one of these non reputable sites?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭davie_b

its against the code of conduct ov a boards member try 2 ooogle gooogle it!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

hmm you wudnt want to google that. youll find some god-awful spware hell hole. find a message board with less morals ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

I had a similar probem lately with a fairly new Western Digital hard drive. It was the only drive on the ide channel so i set it to master. It prevented the computer getting through the P.O.S.T. bios thing.

To fix the problem i had to comletely remove the jumper on the hard drive to select "Single Drive" mode.

Setting it to master always worked for Seagate drives however looks like WD drives are different. Maybe you've a similar problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

hmm you wudnt want to google that. youll find some god-awful spware hell hole. find a message board with less morals ;)

Or get some "skillz".

Remember Kids, Downloading Warez Gives You Cancer.

Hiren's BootCD

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Try PCI File Recovery v4.0 as it's completely free.

• Advertisement
Advertisement