Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Titanic - The Ship That Never Sank?

• 23-06-2005 12:03pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone see that conspieracy theory on Sky the other night? Thought it was pretty interesting, was discussing it with a few friends yesterday. Thought common sence in the investigation lacked, but I didnt manage to see the full thing and only half. Would be class if it was on the net, must take a look.

Anyone else see it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

ye I saw it...didn't do much to convince me of anything,that show was just like most conspiracy theories,too far-fetched. Liek the one claiming the US governement allowed and even helped 9/11 to happen :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

i watched it, didnt buy any of it of course but man those fanatical conspiracy theorists are a great laugh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Only saw the end!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Saw it the other night too and thought it was very good. The most interesting part was at the end when they said that there was only ever one film clip of the the Titantic and once it had sank there was such a rush for memorabilia and footage and as result they used the sister ship Olympic for all the photographs claiming it was the Titanic.

This turn of events has led to a lot of the conspiracy theories because when they claim that it's the Titanic in the pictures it is really the Olympic.

Interesting stuff.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I presume this was the same one that was on last year?

I watched it back then and found it interesting, but too far-fetched!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Yeah, watched this last year. The thing about the program is it spends the first 55 minutes of the show explaining how the Titanic was really the Olympic and it's all a big insurance scam, but then in the last couple of minutes they discount everything that's just been said by offering up hard evidence that the Titanic is actually on the bottom of the ocean.

Bit silly really, the fanatics were funny though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

BaZmO* wrote:
    Saw it the other night too and thought it was very good. The most interesting part was at the end when they said that there was only ever one film clip of the the Titantic and once it had sank there was such a rush for memorabilia and footage and as result they used the sister ship Olympic for all the photographs claiming it was the Titanic.

B.

thats was fairly interesting alright, one of those bits of triva you can roll out on occassion, but again, the whole thing was fairly far fetched, but still interesting.

I have to say though, I tend to give any documentary on Sky a miss, they tend to be more sound bites strung together than anything else, particularly that conspiracies show...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Sounds like an interesting read.
    If anyone happens to come across it on their web travels,
    ....linky :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Mear wrote:
    Sounds like an interesting read.
    If anyone happens to come across it on their web travels,
    ....linky :D
    http://www.titanic-titanic.com/conspiracy%20theory.shtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i thought the theory according to the book 'riddle of the titanic' was that the olympic damaged had to change propeller blades, and instead of waiting for new ones the repair crew used the propeller blade for the titanic, and the titanic took the olympic's old blade now repaired.

Anyway the disaster goes as it is known as. Ship hits iceberg and sinks. skip forward to the 1980's when the titanic is found, numerous high end photographs are taken of the wreck. One was of the propeller blade, which low and behold has the Titanic's original licence...when it should have the olympic's.

that was the one i heard. not this rescue ship collision bullcrap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭leftofcentre

Its funny, i am from Belfast and the Titanic was never a big deal for us. Until the movie came out, it was not really a topic.

You would think they would have taught about it in school etc, but not a word.

The real tragedy is we get hundreds of tourists every week looking to see where it was built, but there is feck all to see - not even a memorial.

They are building a Titanic centre, but its a few years away, so you have to use your imagination till then.

PS: It wasn't our fault the feckin' thing hit an iceberg ;)

Advertisement