Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will my broadband connection support multiple wireless devices?

• 23-06-2005 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

I have a question before I order a broadband product. I've searched the forums here and can't find an answer on this - but my apologies if this topic has already been covered.

I am looking to connect multiple wireless devices through my broadband connection, and would like each of them to be able to operate on the conneciton concurrently.

I have a setup which could see a Live-enabled X-Box, a powerbook running Mac OSX, a wintel laptop running Windows XP Professional and a Sony PSP, all connected to my broadband connection.

So my question is, what sort of kit do I need to support this setup? I am considering the Eircom Home Starter package, and I assume that the Netopia Wireless Router received as part of this package will be able to run multiple devices, or I will be able to purchase additonal kit to support this.

I understand that it sounds ridiculous to have all of these devices running concurrently, but I don't see why this should not be possible. Broadband should be seen as a service like electricity. And the last time I looked, I could run a lamp, kettle, television and stereo system from my electricity supply. Amazing, eh?

Thanks for your responses, even if they are only along the lines of RTFM or referring me to another site.

Warm Regards,

Manhog

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

Yeah, you can connect all of these deviced to the Netopia routers. I'm not sure what they send out for Home Starter but if it's a 4 port plug additiona devices into those ports, if it only has one ethernet port you'll need an additional hub or switch. It's all pretty much plug it in and it goes...

PSP is straightforward to setup too... there's a step by step wizard in the menus and if yuo have an Airport Extreme in the Powerbook it'll probably just connect all by itself without even asking you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Manhog

fasty wrote:
    It's all pretty much plug it in and it goes...

Fasty, cheers - that's great, thanks for the info...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

The router you get is THIS ONE
    All your devices will connect to it no problem.
    But if some or all are using your internet connection simultaniously then the speed to each will be p*ss poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Certainly it will. Whole COUNTRIES still run off slower links than your DSL, you know...

Advertisement