Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Quote

Options
  • 23-06-2005 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

I don't have a driving license, never needed it really, and it was always too expensive to insure anyway, so I'm not overly familiar with insurance quotes here.
    I got a quote the other day for my girlfriend and I was just looking for some feedback to see if you guys thought it was reasonable.

The car is a 1992 BMW 316I 1592cc - Worth about €3000 at max.
    She's Polish and has held her driving license with no claims for 7 years and she's 26. She hasn't got an Irish license as her Polish one will do fine.

She was quoted €1085 for 3rd party fire and theft. What do you think, a fair quote or should I be looking harder?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I take it they aren't using her polish NCB ?

And just starting her with having an EU driving licence, and 0 NCB?

Sounds a tad on the high side, get a few diff quotes to compare with. then you'll know.

Where did she get the quote?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

go to www.insure.ie and fill in the online quote.
    That'll give you quotes froma few companies to compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bazH wrote:
    I take it they aren't using her polish NCB ?

I take it they are. Quote would be higher without it. She should convert her license to an Irish one. It's illegal and I can't prove it, but I'm under the impression that insurers give a higher quote for EU licenses other than Irish ones

Also ring ALL insurance companies and brokers to get the best quote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

try www.123.ie

I must be getting old because ;
    €1,300 on an uberpanzer - €2,100 on a Porsche GT2 - €3,100 on a v10 uberpanzer (just checkin' as mick dundee says) all fully comprehensive :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

keep her polish licence, much harder for the plod to give her points.

Ring around as suggested above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

That quote was with Quinn Direct Bazh. I don't mean to appear the gobshlite, but not having had a driving license or such I'e seen NCB on this forum a few times and I'm sorry to admit I don't have a clue what that means. Is it a tough job to convert her Polish license to Irish or relatively easy?
    Many thanks for your help so far folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

Poland is an EU country so changing to an Irish license should be a straight swap. Check with your local authority for full details. I imagine you'd just have to fill out a form.

NCB == no claims bonus. It means a year you were insured that you didn't have a claim against you. The more NCB you have the more disccount (up to 5 years)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

NCB = No Claims Bonus. So, your girlfriend should have one for 5 years (the maximum length it goes to), although I don't know if they accept it from other countries.

As said before, ring everyone - not just the companies, there is a good chance that a broker can give you a better quote than you may get by ringing the company directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

eo980 wrote:
    NCB on this forum a few times and I'm sorry to admit I don't have a clue what that means.

NCB - No Claims Bonus
    NCD - No Claims Discount

Same thing. Every year you drive without making a claim, you get a precentage off your policy. This can go all the way up to a pre defined maximum. So (just an example) if you drive for 10 years without a claim, and this gives you a 60% NCB, that is how much you get off the calculated cost of insuring you for another year.

EDIT:
    some companies give the maximum in years, others in percentage discount

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

528i wrote:
    €2,100 on a Porsche GT2

Not that old then. €1600 on a 2005 Porsche GT2 fully comp for me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

try some of the online insurance sites that are in the sticky

www.quoteline.ie
    www.insure.ie
    www.123.ie

etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Many thanks for all the help and info guys

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Advertisement