Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two network adapters

Options
  • 23-06-2005 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭

I have a system at home where I have a wireless USB dongle for internet access through a wireless router. Also in the computer is a 10/100 NIC. The NIC is not normally used except when I connect my Xbox to it. Now, I can connect from the Xbox to the PC but not from the PC to Xbox, I can't even ping it. I used to be able to ftp onto the Xbox before installing the wireless card but not anymore.

Is there some way to tell windows to use the wired NIC to access the Xbox's IP or to get it to try alternate interfaces when one fails?

The wireless IP is 192.168.1.33, the Xbox is 192.168.1.34 and the 10/100 NIC is 192.168.1.35. The wireless router is 192.168.1.2. Should the Xbox and 10/100 be on a seperate IP range to the wireless stuff maybe?

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

Are your subnet masks all the same?? I'd expect them to all be 255.255.255.0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭ronanp

I'd imagine your pc is trying to use the wireless card as its default route. If your wired and wireless networks were on different IP ranges, you shouldn't have a routing problem. Or you could statically configure the route to the xbox to use the wired card.

I must admit I don't know how you'd statically configure the route on a windows box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Yeah, all masks are 255.255.255.0
    The default gateway is 192.168.1.1 on all adapters, which is my broadband router (Zyxel 623 connected through the wireless router).

I'll change the IP on the Xbox and the wired NIC to something else so that the traffic to the other address doesn't try to route through the wireless interface.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

jor el wrote:
    The wireless IP is 192.168.1.33, the Xbox is 192.168.1.34 and the 10/100 NIC is 192.168.1.35. The wireless router is 192.168.1.2. Should the Xbox and 10/100 be on a seperate IP range to the wireless stuff maybe?
    Yes the computer will only use one NIC to talk to 192.168.1.x without major tweaking

Put the Xbox and it's NIC on 192.168.2.x

BTW:
    To get the Xbox to go out to the internet via the USB you have to enable routing (tick box on NT4 - reg hack on 2K / XP) or setup ICS which is more fun and games

Cheers Capt'n.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

If you have WinXP, you should create a bridge from the two adapters. Both cards will act like a single network equipment, using a single IP. This in turn will allow your XBox to join the network completely (i.e. access the Internet), using an IP in the 192.168.1.XX range, just like you had it before.
    To create a bridge, select both your connections in the Network Connections window, then select Bridge connections under the Advanced menu.

Have fun!
    JP

I've bridged the two connections like that before and it caused all maner of trouble. Nothing worked afterwards, no internet access, no network access, nothing. I might give it a try though as it should work as you say and I want to get it going again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Is there not an ethernet port on the wireless router aswell? You could plug the xbox straight into the router then.
    Or look at this article on how to setup the bridge.

There are 4 ethernet ports on the wireless router, but it's nowhere near the xbox or anything else, that being the whole point behind getting the wireless router in the first place. I used to just have a 5 port hub off the BB router and that was fine, but everything had to move so that's not possible anymore.

Once again, bridging didn't work though, it just kills all my network connectivity and even the article didn't help.

I'll stick to alternate IP address ranges.

Advertisement