Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lost no claims bonus

Options
  • 23-06-2005 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

1) Recently involved in a car accident. Damage to both parties' vehicles. Blame was disputed. I did not claim, as
    I did not want to loose my NCB, and the damage to the car was minimal.
    Other party claimed, and now I have lost my NCB.

My policy is third party only, so damage to my car is covered. If I wanted to claim, the claim would have been made againt the other party's insuarnce company.

Should I have claimed off the other party's insurance company? Or would it have had no bearing on wether I would loose my NCB or not?

2) With regard to getting a new policy, any insurance company I've tried offering online quotes have preconditions of "accident-free and claim-free". Will I have to just phone and speak to someone to get a quote? Has anyone any experience of trying to get a new policy after an accident/claim?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

Third party only means that you are covered for damaged that you cause to other car. If your car is damaged you have to claim off their insurance. (ie the third party part of their insurance) If liability is disputed it will be down to the two insurance companies to work out who gets what.

Once the other party claims off your insurance it looks like your no claims bonus is up the swanee regardless of what you do (unless you want to pay their damages personally)

As for further quotes the phone is your best option as they will all want details of the claim.

Bit of a bummer, but that's life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

of course you should claim off their insurance, unless you're a complete idiot.

Who cares if you were in the wrong, take advantage of teh situation, insurance companies are there to be abused, how's your back ? - it takes afew days for the pain to set in ;)

Next.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

528i wrote:
    insurance companies are there to be abused, how's your back ? - it takes afew days for the pain to set in ;)

Next.

Its because of people like you that the insurance rates are so high in this country.
    I dont have a problem with anyone making a claim if they are seriously injured but doing it just to make some easy cash is another story.

troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭kmoon

My issue here is not making money, or even having my car fixed, as it's a banger anyway. My main issue is the loss of NCB.

I read an outline policy for a differenet insurance company. There's a section where it says "For damage to you car if you have thrid party insurance, make sure toclai from the other party's insurance company, so you won't loose youe NCB".

It seems pervers that claiming from the other party's insurance company might mean I kept my NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think that they assume that if you don't make a claim off the other party's insurance company that you are admitting that the accident was totally your fault.

Claiming off the other person's insurance would not affect your NCB. When blame is in dispute inform your insurance company and they can fight it out with the other person's insurance company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

You claiming against their insurance affects their NCB, If they claim against your insurance then it is your NCB that goes bust. If you claim off their insurance then you are saying "I wasn't to blame, it was thier fault" That is what they are doing in reverse.
    It might also be called a No Blame Bonus :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In general your NCB is only affected when your insurance company has to pay out money.

If you claimed off the other party and won, your insurance company wouldn't have had to pay out, and your NCB would be intact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

528i wrote:
    of course you should claim off their insurance, unless you're a complete idiot.

Who cares if you were in the wrong, take advantage of teh situation, insurance companies are there to be abused, how's your back ? - it takes afew days for the pain to set in ;)

Next.

Quit being a troll!

Mike.

Advertisement