Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colloquialisms

• 23-06-2005 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Doing a bit of research into the regionalisation of, or replacements for, the word "cool". What I'm looking for is the county you're from and the word you'd use most often for "cool".

e.g. Dublin - "Deadly"
    Galway - "Tome"

Don't worry if you see your county listed here already. Keep adding them... The more I have, the more dynamic my project can be. [Questions regarding the form the project will take may be a waste of time [at the moment], as I'm relying on the materials you good people will provide me with to inform the work.

Cheers,

Piratio

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Cork:

Decent (pronounced day-cent)
    Class
    Viscious

There are more. There are hundreds of different accents in Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

as an aside, something that is not daycent is wook.

ie Liverpool were well wook in the last few matches of the Premiership

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 hazimel

piratio wrote:
    Doing a bit of research into the regionalisation of, or replacements for, the word "cool". What I'm looking for is the county you're from and the word you'd use most often for "cool".

I've known people from Dublin to say "Savage" and I've known a person from Carlow (and his friends) to say "Selfish".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

oh yeah , I've heard savage in cork too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Dublin - rapid, sound
    Balbriggan Co Dublin - Cat = bad
    Wexford - coolaboola lol (heard it a few times down there from different people)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Mordecai

mad - dublin
    spiffing - sheriff street, dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

legend - Cavan/Monaghan/Louth even Meath :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭zippo22

The finest. (Tipperary.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭smileygal

Massive (Cork)

Advertisement