Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phantom FM awarded licence - Launching Summer 2006!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

You are a sad, lonely, little, shrivelled up, old man. Would i be right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭omnicorp

no, if i was, wouldn't i be outside the target group of phantom?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Its because Butterfly trusts us Omnicorp. If we end up as sell outs in a couple of years then youre right to think the worst even before we have had a chance to go on air again and despite the fact that we havent sold out to date. And if youre wrong or indeed if you can take the chance of trusting us, then everybody will be happy. All very simple and straightforward really :)

Regards,

Pete Reed
    reed@phantomfm.com
    www.phantomfm.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

Basically have some faith and hopefully we'll get what we deserve. I'm not going to say that they're not in it for the money because of course they are, pete has to feed his starving kids somehow! but i expect them to be sensible, and respectful towards the listener just as they've always been. In terms of music, ya know phantom will never sell out. they just love good music too damn much and can't stand the pop filler crap.
    As long as they dont end up like an american "rock" station (and i sincerely doubt they will) then all is cool.
    seriously those guys have 5 minutes of ads, then the DJ talking about his cool new car - whilst listing off the features *cough*promo*cough* , then another five minutes of ads. somehow, call me naive and over trusting, i really dont think theyll do that.
    So yay, this is a good thing for irish radio. the end. finito. QED...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 moes

Let's face it, there will be a commercial reality once Phantom becomes a legit station. Anyone who thinks different is living on another planet. All commercial media outlets rely on advertising, regardless of what message they are trying to get across.
    Yes, it would be so much better if that wasn't the case, but the fact that Phantom might carry ads for an unnamed Banking company doesn't mean you have to buy a mortgage off them and sign away the next 30 years of your life. It's your choice.
    It doesn't take a huge leap of faith to trust the people that have brought you all that great music over the years to keep those principals. You don't spend 10 years of your life trying to bring real music to people and suddenly think this is a way to make money. It just doesn't work that way.

As a once Irish, now pan-global (whatever the f**k that means) company says about its biggest selling product. BELIEVE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

im reminded of arguments about phantom 'selling out' on this board from a couple of years ago. you can never please some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭ozone6280

Did you ever hear the saying innocent until proven guilty. You know they have to pay the bills eletric, presenters, royalties and for the new state of the art equipment etc and you know this is not going to come out of their pockets. Its not like been a pirate now that they are legit they will have to have some full time staff that have to get paid a full time wage. So the answer is get enought ads and sponsers to pay for your running costs. Smurfpis I live in the US and i know exactly what you mean the presenter was talking last week for 10 mins about the new car he was given to test drive and where he got it etc well if this isnt a plug advertisment what the fu** is it. Phantom keep it alternative and keep it Irish .The new slogan should No Pop No Crap Phantomfm is back!!!

Pete Reed wrote:
    Its because Butterfly trusts us Omnicorp. If we end up as sell outs in a couple of years then youre right to think the worst even before we have had a chance to go on air again and despite the fact that we havent sold out to date. And if youre wrong or indeed if you can take the chance of trusting us, then everybody will be happy. All very simple and straightforward really :)

Regards,

Pete Reed
    reed@phantomfm.com
    www.phantomfm.com
    As you are an "Alternative Rock and Indie" radio station, Daniel O Donnell's album came 6 in the Top 10 Indie Albums chart, do you have to play his music?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

And about bloody time!!

As regards the possible sell-out, until such time as it happens, it is up to us to support the efforts of this radio station to prevent it from happening. Without our support and vigilance it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

and welcome to the 2 petes talk rubbish this is snacks fantastico and we are trying some food... and *bleh bleh bleh* its *gag* fantastic.. so buy it cause it's great,and if u need the money go to *insert some bank* and go to the shop *some car*

i couldn't imagine it...have some trust peoples! have they done u wrong before......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭butterfly

omnicorp wrote:
    As you are an "Alternative Rock and Indie" radio station, Daniel O Donnell's album came 6 in the Top 10 Indie Albums chart, do you have to play his music?

this being the beauty, they don't have to play sweet **** all. no radio station has to play every chart position in whatever niche they're going for, it's a picky choosey thing..
    and the big DO'D's listeners would be (*cough* nearly dead *cough*) outside the station's target age group, so..
    it's a beautiful thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Just want to add my name to the list of congratulations.

Well done Phantom on getting the licence.

At last a decent radio station is being recognised.

legspin wrote:
    And about bloody time!!

As regards the possible sell-out, until such time as it happens, it is up to us to support the efforts of this radio station to prevent it from happening. Without our support and vigilance it will.
    who's to say it won't happen?
    It's not as if I don't trust them, I do. But everyone has to make a living and who can resist easy money?

butterfly wrote:
    this being the beauty, they don't have to play sweet **** all. no radio station has to play every chart position in whatever niche they're going for, it's a picky choosey thing..
    and the big DO'D's listeners would be (*cough* nearly dead *cough*) outside the station's target age group, so..
    it's a beautiful thing.
    Thank God.
    The prospect of Daniel O Donnell would have forced me to change to Spin103.8. Not Spin!

Omnicorp,

You really are showing a lack of faith here. I mean "Who can resist easy money" really is at best disengenuous given our record. We wouldnt be investing our extremely hard earned cash in this project if we didnt think we could get a return. Equally, we feel (and our actions over 8 years back this up), that this project can be very viable and successful without the inevitable "sell out". You ask "whos to say it won't happen"? The answer is: We do. You can either accept that or not and if you dont, youre on the wrong message board.

Regards,

Pete Reed
    reed@phantomfm.com
    www.phantomfm.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

If you can trust anyone it has to be Pete Reed i mean thats a nice honest name if ever i heard one.
    Plus anyway phantom won't need to sell out coz they're gonna be the biggest radio station in dublin and they can do whatever the feck they like.
    But if they do sellout(which won't happen see above) i hope mcdonalds buys the station so we can have some rock remixes of "i'm loving it" those rap ones are really gettin crapper everyday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 cawo

k just because somebody goes commercial doesnt make them sellouts, that happens when the quality of their work suffers because of bureaucracy or corporate greed, money things etc, like when an -underground- band gets into the charts n all their original fans start booing them for finally reaching the mainstream. if theyre still writing quality songs AND have their cds in golden discs ('if its not an irish boy band, we've never heard of it') then fair play to em. when a band tastes commercial success and becomes obsessed with tryin to repeat that success and their work suffers for it, down with that sort of thing. listen to ash's 1977, then listen to free all angels...dear me... or the dandy warhols come down, once that damn vodafone ad hit they had to go out and write a bunch of songs that sound EXACTLY like that one song, in order to stay in the charts. in conclusion i heartily endorse phantom's license and hope you all get mega rich from providing a wider audience of ppl with decent music while having the security of not being thrown off the airwaves every few months.
    that concludes this evenings rant... for more information join the crazy ranting caro newletter. free thermos for the first 50 subscriptions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 stereo_carol

I'd just like to say that i trust phantom to continue playing and doin all the brilliant things they've played and done before. If you pessimists all just believe they're goin to sell out now then wait and see, fair play Pete Reed, some of us believe you!! Can't wait to hear you all on the air again.
    Best wishes
    Carol :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Omnicorp.
    I can understand the concerns you are voicing. It's somthing I worry about too. All I was trying to say was that it will happen if we don't support the folks at Phantom as it is now, then it will happen however things progress in the future. I will say though is the few gigs I have been at run by the Phatom crew lead me to believe that it will happen over their dead bodies :D

I DO support them and I want them to be succesful BUT, it COULD happen and that's all I'm saying.
    On a different note though, they really couldn't do that badly because ALL irish radio at the moment is cr@p

• Advertisement

What youre being is unneccessarily negative Omnicorp. Your point is taken, you have read the responses, move on.

Regards,

Pete Reed
    reed@phantomfm.com
    www.phantomfm.com.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭miss serena

We believe in you Pete!! I'm sure you have everyone else's support. Negetive support need not apply!

I DO support them and do wish them well and positive support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

soooo..... is it just me or are jacobs jaffa cakes wayyy better than the mcvites ones??

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭beachbabe

What does the great jaffa cake debate matter, phantom have returned { you are right, they are much nicer} :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

Pete Reed wrote:
    What youre being is unneccessarily negative Omnicorp. Your point is taken, you have read the responses, move on.

Regards,

Pete Reed
    reed@phantomfm.com
    www.phantomfm.com.

Excuse me he does'nt have to move on.

always with the high and mighty approach.

boring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭metalish

Congrats guys!!! the radio will have its use now!!! hope all the phantom crew will come to the p(h)ub crawl. dunno when its on yet but it'll be soon. good luck for the next 10 years!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭startled_frog

Well it's about time in all fairness. Phantom has always been popular and I can't see it being less popular now that it's legal.
    Suppose it will have to change a bit now it has to advertise (as long as its not harvey norman!) but it will still be phantom.

After reading this thread I really wanted to say that some people haven't a clue what their on about and just want to look clever.

Say nothin til you know more.

yeah, advertise suitable things, not loan ads and stuff.

But when will it be starting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

July 05 i believe :)

Advertisement