Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phantom FM awarded licence - Launching Summer 2006!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭McGonagles

flogen wrote:
    touché.
    Hot Press are just being sore losers, and as you said, trying to damage Phantom as much as they can. If I bought the magazine I'd stop out of protest :D

Is it just Hot Press stirring things up, or the entire Zed consortium?
    The press releases are obviously all going to show a united front from
    all the Zed people, but does anyone know what's really going on?

Does a certain former IRTC member know more than he is letting on?

If this isn't just a delaying tactic, does Zed really want to go on air? If so, why
    didn't they do this sooner, so they could get their chance to go on air sooner?

And yes, it is a bit pointless trying to boycott something you don't buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

This is probably akin to a chinese whisper, but a casual aquaintance was telling me that the b0££0(k$ behind the appeal is your man who used to own another dublin based radio station, which he sold for a sizable lump. Seeminly he is an exceptionally sore loser and he was hoping to do the same with Zfm as well. The fact that Phantom got there ahead of him is sticking in his craw and I hope it chokes him :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Hello all,

Obviously I cant get into the specifics of the matter at issue at the moment. But just to summarise very briefly:

Scrollside Limited (Trading as Zed FM) are seeking to have the decision of the BCI with regard to the awarding of the Alternative Rock Radio licence to Dublin Rock Radio Limited (Trading as Phantom FM) judicially reviewed on a number of grounds. The case is currently before the High Court and will resume next Thursday April 28th.

While this case continues, no contract can be signed between the BCI and Phantom FM, so in effect, Phantom FMs launch is on hold while this issue is resolved.

Obviously, Phantom FM is very dissapointed at this delay at this very late stage of the stations launch plans. Phantom FM is confident of a satisfactory resolution to this matter sooner rather than later. Phantom FM will continue to broadcast on line and www.phantomfm.com continues as normal.

In the interim, please be careful with comments on this message board regarding the case and the parties involved.

Im sorry that the above is so legalistic sounding, but just have to be extra careful at present. We will keep you posted as much as we possibly can on the messageboard and at www.phantomfm.com

Regards,

Pete Reed
    reed@phantomfm.com
    www.phantomfm.com

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭legofsalmon

Pete Reed wrote:
    Hello all,

Obviously I cant get into the specifics of the matter at issue at the moment. But just to summarise very briefly:

Scrollside Limited (Trading as Zed FM) are seeking to have the decision of the BCI with regard to the awarding of the Alternative Rock Radio licence to Dublin Rock Radio Limited (Trading as Phantom FM) judicially reviewed on a number of grounds. The case is currently before the High Court and will resume next Thursday April 28th.

While this case continues, no contract can be signed between the BCI and Phantom FM, so in effect, Phantom FMs launch is on hold while this issue is resolved.

Obviously, Phantom FM is very dissapointed at this delay at this very late stage of the stations launch plans. Phantom FM is confident of a satisfactory resolution to this matter sooner rather than later. Phantom FM will continue to broadcast on line and www.phantomfm.com continues as normal.

In the interim, please be careful with comments on this message board regarding the case and the parties involved.

Im sorry that the above is so legalistic sounding, but just have to be extra careful at present. We will keep you posted as much as we possibly can on the messageboard and at www.phantomfm.com

Regards,

Pete Reed
    reed@phantomfm.com
    www.phantomfm.com

Good luck with the proceedings Mr. Reed. I hope a fair and just decison is arrived at sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

ah ha, i thought it was yesterday! good luck next week :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭QM79

Yes, yes....good luck to you Mr. Reed and all at Phantom. Let's all just keep our fingers crossed!

xx :D

Good luck today.. hopes it all goes phantoms way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 PlanetPob

So any update on the hearing yesterday. Or is it all hush hush, as I didn't hear anything about it...

Case is in the High Court again on Thursday as it has been the past two Thursdays. There was a delay of a couple of weeks because one party had not lodged many of the papers on which the case was to be based. That party has had to apologise to the presiding judge for the "unnaceptable" delays. Back again this week to discuss the issue of security of costs. The BCI will be asking for Scrollside Limited (Zed) to lodge a very substantial bond to cover the potential costs of the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

G'Luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

zed fm, the jose mourinho of the radio world...

good luck on thursday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭memaeve

All the best.
    Here's hoping....
    xm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

*fingers crossed*
    nobody deserves this licence more than ye lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭djmike

bit late in'it ?

Hello all,

Right so, heres the latest update.

We were all back in the High Court on Wednesday morning in front of Justice Quirke. Basically what happened is that Scrollside/Zed FM were ordered to lodge €125,000 in court by June 1st if they wish to pursue their judicial review proceedings against the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland over the awarding of the alternative rock licence. This is for security of costs for the action.

Next court date is June 2nd (High Court doesnt sit for the next two weeks) when the case will be up for mention again.

Very frustrating delays but hopefully common sense will kick in soon and we will be able to get Phantom FM on air as quickly as possible. Time will tell.

More updates as we get them and apologies once again for the delay in getting Phantom to you.

Regards,

Pete Reed
    reed@phantomfm.com
    www.phantomfm.com

thanks for the update.. keep the phantom phlags phyling!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭legofsalmon

Rockiemalt wrote:
    thanks for the update.. keep the phantom phlags phyling!

Try saying that ten times fast with your penis stuck in a toaster...

That was rhetorically speaking of course.

Thanks for keeping up updated though Pete, tis good you know that we are a fraction as anxious about this as you quite possibley are.

Try saying that ten times fast with your penis stuck in a toaster...

That was rhetorically speaking of course.

you of all people should know i don't have boy bits thank you very much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Katgirl

that certainly is a pain in the proverbial. :mad:

Will Phantoms new launch date be delayed as a result?

Zed must have some very serious investors if they are to come up with that amount of money...
    But wishing you all the best guys.
    Kx

I have (and will keep) my fingers crossed for ye.
    xm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭butterfly

feck that.. zed have too much time (and EVIL)(and not any good type of evil this isn't either, no) on their hands.
    best of luck with it, sure we'll be hearin ye in no time.
    xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Zed must have some very serious investors if they are to come up with that amount of money...

Hate to disappoint you but €125,000 is buttons and they would probably have that down the back of the couch. Especially when you have the corporate whores who are the other side, this sort of money is small potatoes, when you consider what they are hoping to fleece back from the station :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

i like small potatoes.... ones with lotsa of butter on them.
    but id prefer 125 grand. can get lots of potatoes with that.
    golly my stomach is in knots wondering whats going on with this load of hoo ha. taint fair, isn't good for my stress ya see. If I were in phantoms position I'd be whimpering under the couch, but phantom, these are people of principle and action! hope they go kick some snotty nosed butts...(unusual image there...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭sweetoblivion

So...any news on the security money?

So,

Back in court again today. Hearing lasted about 40 seconds. Basically adjourned again until next Thursday so the Scrollside boys can read an affadavit from the BCI submitted this week. Next week they will be talking discovery (sadly not the Scrapheap Challenge TV station) on various documents. Looks like this might run on a while. Head-is-wrecked.

No further word on the security money.

Kind Regards,

Pete Reed
    reed@phantomfm.com

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭QM79

Still keeping my fingers crossed for you all. Pity this is dragging on. Keep the chins up. Best of luck Pete and all at Phantom.

Thanks "QM", much appreciated :)

Pete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 catgirl

til be all good. i have faith in phantom

catgirl wrote:
    i have faith in phantom

As do we all. :)
    xm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

Best of luck lads after fighting for so long and working so hard all these years, for the sore losers to fight on the grounds that the Phantom started as a pirate is a bit silly.

I always thought that FM104 started out as a pirate station all those years ago anyway?

Advertisement