Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds UTD

• 23-06-2005 4:05pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Leeds have signed their fourth player of the summer after their free transfer signing of the USA international left winger Eddie Lewis was completed today subject to a work permit. Lewis has mode over 50 appearances for his country has been an ever present for the las 5 or 6 years.

I think this is a very good signing for Leeds. Lewis has bucket loads of experience and Leeds desperately needed a left winger. We can now push Healy up front alongside Rob Hulse where he should be playing but couldnt last season due to us having no left winger.

Lewis was also one of Prestons best players last season and has scored 15 goals in 97 appearances for them. He has a good left foot and can deliver some excellent crosses.

The full story can be seen here
    http://www.leedsunited.com/article.asp?article=287020&blnFeedback=&Title=Leeds+Net+American+Flyer&navlid=newsroom

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Still a club in turmoil....did you hear that when Lennon left the club his wages where so big that he took a pay cut to go to Spurs.....

"Aaron's contract was such that even Tottenham couldn't match it and he took a wage cut to go there. That shows just how things were handed out here in the past."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Big Nelly wrote:
    Still a club in turmoil....did you hear that when Lennon left the club his wages where so big that he took a pay cut to go to Spurs.....

No the club is no longer in turmoil as we have sorted all the financial problems out and have become profitable again. All debt has been cleared and financial restrictions such as a wage limit has been put into place. With the departure of Lennon there is now only two remaining players, Bakke and Johnson, who are still on high wages and Blackwell has made it clear that Bakke no longer features in his plans so expect him to be moving on sometime soon. Birmingham are sniffing around the player and are ready to make a £2m move for Bakke. Leeds will gladly take the money to free up some money on the wage bill and to allow Blackwell more money to bring in new players. As for Johnson he is waiting to see how his pre-season goes before making a decision.

The old days of ridiculous wages are well behing us with us all ready proving that by not offering Lee Clarke the wages he wanted. We stood firm and ultimately lost the player but it was for the best.

The turmoil is behind us and everything is set at the club now to try and push up the league with hopefully a chance of becoming promoted.

Gary Kelly is on huge wages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

remember the story about when leeds signed seth johnson, he asked for 25,000 a week or something and after a few days, ridsdale rang him up and said "Seth we wont give you 25,000 a week, we insist you take 40,000."

no wonder they have ended up as they have.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Leeds will have to pay Derby another £250k if Johnson makes one more first team appearance so Ken Bates has said that he can spend the whole of next season in the reserves or leave, as there's no way that the extra cash will be handed over. Hopefully this will help make Seth's mind up a bit quicker as he's been a millstone around the club's neck since the day he joined. I'll be sorry to see Bakke go as he's a good player who always gave his all, but he's an expensive luxury now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Ken Bates wrote:
    "I want to make it perfectly clear that Leeds United's owners have neither received an offer, nor would they encourage one,"

You'd think people would have better things to do than rumourmonger about the club being up for sale again. There's a whole takeover at Utd to bitch about ffs!

It is begining to look good for the club, I'd say we have a great chance of pushing for promotion. Have to hit the ground running tho.

I was delighted to see Lee Clark not signed because of his wages. Its always a fear when you get premiership players dropping a division that their wage demands come with them. It was for the good of the club and finally shows that things are being run properly. I wonder where west ham will get the money to pay figo hehe :rolleyes:

and johnson was on 37,500, not 40k :p

f'in waster

zaph wrote:
    Leeds will have to pay Derby another £250k if Johnson makes one more first team appearance so Ken Bates has said that he can spend the whole of next season in the reserves or leave, as there's no way that the extra cash will be handed over. Hopefully this will help make Seth's mind up a bit quicker as he's been a millstone around the club's neck since the day he joined. I'll be sorry to see Bakke go as he's a good player who always gave his all, but he's an expensive luxury now.

Bakke has hardly played a game for 3-4 seasons now....wat good is that??? he always has an injury!!! been paided about 40K for sittin on his ass for a couple of seasons now!!! I cant see that as a player who has given his all to help the club!! Risdale was a pure dumbass!!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Big Nelly wrote:
    Bakke has hardly played a game for 3-4 seasons now....wat good is that??? he always has an injury!!! been paided about 40K for sittin on his ass for a couple of seasons now!!! I cant see that as a player who has given his all to help the club!! Risdale was a pure dumbass!!!!

Bakke was a very good player when he was fit and he gave his all then. He was also one of the few players who stated quite clearly that he did not want to leave Leeds and he wanted to stay and help the club get back up. Getting injured is hardly his fault and to hold that against him isnt fair. He now has the pre-season to prove his worth to the team or he is being sold. Its up to him now to prove over the next 2 - 3 weeks that he is good enough and over his injury or he will be sold.
    zaph wrote:
    Leeds will have to pay Derby another £250k if Johnson makes one more first team appearance so Ken Bates has said that he can spend the whole of next season in the reserves or leave, as there's no way that the extra cash will be handed over

This is not true zaph. It is true that Leeds didnt play him for the last three games as they would have had to pay a further £250k to Derby but never was it said leeds wouldnt pay the money. They are giving him pre-season to prove he is over his injury
    A decision on whether Johnson plays next season will depend on his progress during pre-season in June and July. The midfielder will be put through his paces in pre-season with the hope that he comes through it with no problems and is strong enough to get a full season under his belt for the first time at Elland Road.

"If he can get through pre-season which will be a real physical test for Seth, then we will have ourselves a player again," said Blackwell.

"In the two years I have been here he hasn't done a pre-season and it has affected how he's played.

"When we lost Seth and Eirik Bakke last season it was when our midfield was at it's strongest and coincided with our best spell. He is a very, very good player who has been blighted by major injury one after the other.

"If we get him through pre-season he will be a major asset."

http://www.leedsunited.com/article.asp?article=271747&blnFeedback=0&Title=Seth+Decision+Is+The+Right+One&navlid=newsroom

Leeds have completed the signing of former England international winger Steve Stone on a free transfer. He has beem given a 2 year contract after coming through an intensive medical on Tuesday to prove his fitness.

http://www.leedsunited.com/article.asp?article=287958&blnFeedback=&Title=Set+In+Stone&navlid=newsroom

I think if Stone really is still fit that he will be a good signing for us. We beat off competition from about 6 other clubs for his signature which proves that these new signings believe Leeds are very much on the up and can challenge for promotion next season. I think the signings of Stone and Lewis will give the team alot of balance as we now have recognised wingers on both wings.

He has a wealth of experience both in the premiership and at championship level so this can only benefit the team. I am happy with his signing and the other signings Blackwell has brought in. I can't wait for the new season to start

Advertisement