Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternitive to Java application server?

Options
  • 23-06-2005 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Just messing around with j2ee on my laptop. I've only got 512mb of ram so amongst that and all the other stuff I've running on my laptop I'm slowly boardering 512 useage.

Does anyone know of any less resource intensive servers I could use?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

Well what ya wanna do? Servlets, EJBs...?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Mainly servlets. Got Tomcat up and running, isn't painful at all :)

Nope Tomcat is a sweet bit of Java :)
    If you are looking for something even more streamlined and less resource hungry, check out jetty.

Will do.

Is it possible to tie eclipse into tomcat for JSP and Servlets with an eventual move on to some ejb's ?

E.g is it possible to turn eclipse into something like visual studio with webforms :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

JRun is another option. I can't swear to how lightweight it is, but I've never noticed it being a resource hog.

Its technically payware from Macromedia, but IIRC, its free for non-commercial use.

As for eclipse development....Shouldn't be any problem whatsoever.

One of the guys in the office has eclipse configured with something-or-other (can fnid out if necessary) which auto-deploys changes to his app server whenever he saves his files and they compile cleanly.

I can find out what he's using if y'like, but it'll be next week.

jc

• Advertisement

Yea you can tie eclipse and tomcat together (jetty too). There's a plugin that will do this for you - http://www.sysdeo.com/sysdeo/eclipse/tomcatplugin
    There are plenty of plugins that will do EJB's for you.
    An eclipse project to keep an eye on is the webtools project http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/index.html - They should have their first release at the end of the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Tho really, if you're worrying about Tomcat's memory footprint, you don't want to touch Eclipse :)

I can live with Eclipse hogging ram as at least its being useful. On the other hand 90 - 100 of ram just to run a run time enviroment is an annoyance :D

tom cat's only using 30 on me. I can live with that :)

Advertisement