Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Static IP Address - Adv/Disadv?

• 23-06-2005 5:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to decide on which BTIreland Broadband package to go for.

Business BB (1MB): €74-98 ex-vat / €90.73 (inc. installation & line rental)
    Residential BB (1MB): €31.68 ex-vat / €38.33 inc vat (thanks SpongeBob! ) (inc. installation & line rental)

My question is, what advantages are there to having a static IP address (which comes with Business BB package) and how come the Business BB is so much more expense for the same residential product (1MB)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

Is Business 1Mbit from BT really €75 a month with line rental!!!

Appears a little steep to me.

Static IP isnt all that good as you can have a dynamic IP changed using special software to static but not the other way around.

The business broadband is probable not capped so you can go bonkers downloading 100GB+ a month if you want and not worry about fines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

Yes, I rang them today and it's €45.00 (1MB BB) + €19.98 (line rental) + €66.00 (installation - only if they are not in your area and have to apply to eircom to release it) all ex-vat prices. I based it on 6-month period which included cost of installtion.

All I want is a reasonable BB service which I can set-up as a wireless network for my home business (pc laptop, printer, apple imac and maybe Xbox). Just wondering if static offered extra security or other for the extra price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Just wondering if static offered extra security or other for the extra price?
    Nope.
    It's mostly only useful if you want to run network services for the Internet (like a website) and/or RAS for your network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

no extra security.
    its more for busines to allow staff to easily remote access the work pcs.

its not neccesary for a home network or anything like that.

also if you want they can assign you static on the home package for bout 50eu

Thanks folks, will go ahead and order home package so. Not going spend an obscene amount of unneccessary cash at the mo'. Cheers. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Static IP isnt all that good as you can have a dynamic IP changed using special software to static but not the other way around.
    Well, if you plan on running ANY kind of server at any stage during your broadbandship, then a static IP is always best. Personally, i run an FTP server on my computer, and i can always access it no matter where i cam because the IP doesn't change. I don't have to worry about running software on my computer to keep a lock on a dynamic IP (such as no-ip.org and other such services).

Static IP's are only bad if a hacker decides to hack you personally, and consistantly tries to kill your connection/hack your computer. But tbph, thats never going to happen unless you do some very serious stuff you shouldn't be doing :p

If you want to have a static IP then use this:

http://www.no-ip.com

Works perfectly for my FTP Server once you port forward port 21.

Basically choose Business 1Mb if you want the 256k upload and static IP without playing around with software/no-ip accounts.

I'm a web-designer so I don't really need static ip. I don't have personal servers or the likes, and I won't be uploading anything massive - I think?

Choose a home product of course with 1Mbit or 2Mbit connection depending on your budget.

Personially I think the new price drop to €40 for existing 2Mbit customers is v.nice...especially when compared to eircoms €54 offering for an identical product but with 2/3 of the official download CAP (:0-

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Static IP's best - mainly due to my inability to set up BIND correctly on my home server.

• Advertisement
Advertisement