Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bf2 keeps crashing to desktop :(

Options
  • 23-06-2005 6:24pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Any ideas?
    got a ati card, when I click "join game" bling, back to desktop. sometimes I can get it to half load.
    I have downloaded those 5.1 drivers from grudownload and still no avail... :(
    but bf2 demo runs grand

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I had that problem with the Demo, used the Omega drivers to sort it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

What card have you got?
    I've got a 9800se
    got a link to what version of the omega drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Now he actually has to use the forum properly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Now he actually has to use the forum properly...

The ironing is delicous.

Lenny can you get it running in sinlge player? Lower everything to Low turn off EAX and try load an SP map.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

There is no specific drivers for your card, just get the Raedon ones. http://www.omegadrivers.net/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I had the raedon ones,
    about using the forum propery I always did. I was just a bit hyper that night.
    the same thing happens when playing in single player,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Lenny wrote:
    What card have you got?
    I've got a 9800se
    got a link to what version of the omega drivers?

Latest verison from the link Ciaran500 posted. Mines a 9000 mobility 64 megs of RAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Private Joker

are you running windows xp?

I had it crash to desktop on a machine running 2000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Evil AvaTaR

well i am having problems with my bf2 demo, when i load it click to join game it just goes to the desktop, i hate a Ati radeon 9600Pro and never had probs with any game before any ideas?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

try changing the gfx options from high to medium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Anyone noticed it takes an eternity to load !! stops around 42% for ages

I go 2gb RAM and 6800 Ultra OC ........... strange

Drapper wrote:
    Anyone noticed it takes an eternity to load !! stops around 42% for ages

I go 2gb RAM and 6800 Ultra OC ........... strange

Defrag your HD maps took over a minute to load for me , tweaked the settings and put geometry(the biggest load time) on medium and now takes about 5 seconds to load maps.

Geometry is the killer in the load times but makes the most impact on visuals, medium is perfect..

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Defrag your HD maps took over a minute to load for me , tweaked the settings and put geometry(the biggest load time) on medium and now takes about 5 seconds to load maps.

Geometry is the killer in the load times but makes the most impact on visuals, medium is perfect..

kdjac

Sound man !

I'll give it a go ! what setting should I put my Card at (only 3 days old and cost me a fortune)

6800 Ultra OC BFG

Drapper wrote:
    Sound man !

I'll give it a go ! what setting should I put my Card at (only 3 days old and cost me a fortune)

6800 Ultra OC BFG

Everything on high and AA off. Load up the Fushe Pass map and run about with a few bots, thats the biggest resource eating map.

Dunno what res you in but shouldnt be having any in game problems , as the game ehhh wamrs to your pc it gets faster but defintley defrag hd evewn if it doesnt need it.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Everything on high and AA off. Load up the Fushe Pass map and run about with a few bots, thats the biggest resource eating map.

Dunno what res you in but shouldnt be having any in game problems , as the game ehhh wamrs to your pc it gets faster but defintley defrag hd evewn if it doesnt need it.

kdjac

A little off the thread but what is AA ?

Anti-aliasing is the process of bluring sharp edges in pictures to get rid of the jagged edges on lines. After an image is rendered, some applications automatically anti-alias images. The program looks for edges in an image, and then blurs adjacent pixels to produce a smoother edge.

In order to anti-alias an image when rendering, the computer has to take samples smaller than a pixel in order to figure out exactly where to blur and where not to. For example, if the computer finds that one pixel is on the edge of thwo objects, it then takes sub-pixel samples and checks about how many of them showed the fron obejct, and how many showed the back one. Lets say that the computer took 8 sub-samples, and 4 of them were on object one and the other 4 on object two. The computer then takes the resulting color values from the subsamples and averages them into a resulting blurred pixel, when viewed from a distance gives a smoother edge effect.

Check out thread i just started, in my screenshot you can see an "edge" to everything thats what Anti aliasing would fix.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Anti-aliasing is the process of bluring sharp edges in pictures to get rid of the jagged edges on lines. After an image is rendered, some applications automatically anti-alias images. The program looks for edges in an image, and then blurs adjacent pixels to produce a smoother edge.

In order to anti-alias an image when rendering, the computer has to take samples smaller than a pixel in order to figure out exactly where to blur and where not to. For example, if the computer finds that one pixel is on the edge of thwo objects, it then takes sub-pixel samples and checks about how many of them showed the fron obejct, and how many showed the back one. Lets say that the computer took 8 sub-samples, and 4 of them were on object one and the other 4 on object two. The computer then takes the resulting color values from the subsamples and averages them into a resulting blurred pixel, when viewed from a distance gives a smoother edge effect.

Check out thread i just started, in my screenshot you can see an "edge" to everything thats what Anti aliasing would fix.

kdjac

Top man !

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JacoStanley

I've got a problem where it crashes straight to the desktop after a round has been finished. A good few other people are having this problem but with no fix for it yet. Runs really well when I am playing it though.

I've got a problem where it crashes straight to the desktop after a round has been finished. A good few other people are having this problem but with no fix for it yet. Runs really well when I am playing it though.

Thats the servers fault,

BF2 Linux Server Issue? [June 23, 2005, 10:22 am EDT] - 77 Comments

The Planet Battlefield Forums describes a possible issue with the Linux dedicated server for Battlefield 2. Here's word on the bug, which, if accurate, would explain a couple of CTDs I experienced myself on map changes yesterday:

I run multiple linux server (Gentoo/Redhat), and whenever a map ends, or the round ends, everyone connected crashs to desktop. Furthermore, if the game starts, and people leave, leaving 1 person left in the server, the map ends, and their game crashs.

This is a HUGE issue, and no matter what I tweak, it does not go away. I spend 3 hours testing on multiple servers last night with the same final result. I've moved my server back to the demo server, as this does not happen here (not sure why it would happen in retail, but not the demo)..

from bluesnews.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JacoStanley

KdjaC wrote:
    Thats the servers fault,

BF2 Linux Server Issue? [June 23, 2005, 10:22 am EDT] - 77 Comments

The Planet Battlefield Forums describes a possible issue with the Linux dedicated server for Battlefield 2. Here's word on the bug, which, if accurate, would explain a couple of CTDs I experienced myself on map changes yesterday:

I run multiple linux server (Gentoo/Redhat), and whenever a map ends, or the round ends, everyone connected crashs to desktop. Furthermore, if the game starts, and people leave, leaving 1 person left in the server, the map ends, and their game crashs.

This is a HUGE issue, and no matter what I tweak, it does not go away. I spend 3 hours testing on multiple servers last night with the same final result. I've moved my server back to the demo server, as this does not happen here (not sure why it would happen in retail, but not the demo)..

from bluesnews.

kdjac

That's it exactly. Is there gonna be a fix for it or what. Just had a great game there and it went and crashed again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

TBH i turned down shadows to medium, and they look better! I set effects and shadows to medium, so i could turn AA on, because without it the game does look quite jagged, and im such a graphics whore i couldnt possibly run it at anything less than the gorgeousness it was inteded to be run at :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tpwalker1980

Here's my problem with CTDs

Single player works flawlessly, but once I enter a multiplayer game it CTDs after about 3-4min of playing.

System
    3.0ghz P4 HT
    Radeon 9700 Pro 128
    1024mb ddr400 memory
    200gig WD 7200rpm HD
    36gig raptor
    santa cruz sound card

Advertisement