Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you like to see Newstalk go National or not?

• 23-06-2005 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

A part of me would like to see it go national, but maybe that's just because I'd like to see such a quality station expand.
    But it would lose a certain something by going national, it could just become another RTE Radio 1, but with a slightly more zany approach.
    I'd like to see Newstalk extend their programme types and broadcast times, if they can become an all-day and night station and do well, maybe then somem expansion could work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

i've been up in dublin for a few months and grown to like it, i'd sure like to able to get it when i go back to galway in september

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭disillusioned

I'd say keep it local.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

The idea of a national talk radio station would be very appealing to me. However as has been pointed out a lot of the content for Newstalk is local content. This is why I guess so many of the local stations do so well in the mid-morning talk show rankings. If they managed to somehow break away to different local shows in the mid-morning slots they might do well, with the main morning and evening shows being national content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I certainly hope Newstalk does go national. Even though I do like the local aspect to many of the debates and news items on the station, as a national station I feel the quality of the station would improve further with more varied topics and discussions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I don't see local v national as an issue. I listen to BBC radio and don't wish it was Irish in fact thats why I listen to it.

I'd like to see Newstalk go national but stay local, that why those of us outside 'the smoke' might get a better idea of what makes the place tick (or not!).

Quite how it would reach the nation is another matter, I guess cable and MMDS is the obvious distribution method initally.

Mike.

Advertisement