Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Router hanging

• 23-06-2005 8:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else experienced problems with the Aolynk DR814 ADSL2+ Router supplied by Smart Broadband hanging every 36 hours or so?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

is it well ventilated ? nothing on top ?

these are cheap items , some of them do go every now, and then but check connections, power and ventilation to ensure its not overheating

then get on to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Alisha

i got problems too but more often that just 36hours.
    a few times during the days i see the connection seems active but it's in fact dead on every program using it.
    and the router is't definitely ventilated and working. every little light it's ok like it should be working but in fact.. it's not untile i plug it off the socket and then replug it in.
    i'm just writing to smart i hope they coudl find a solution for this.
    you got any idea about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

My Zyxel 623 from BT is ~50cm from my heater and it dies on me on average once a week.
    My network switch is even closer...but there never appears to be much heat coming from it.
    Annoying at times when downloading from a server that doesnt support resumes...but otherwise its acceptable.
    It would be nice if it didnt just lockup once a week...but every 36 hours is a bit extreme...ring Smart and ask to speak to someone higher up than rep who reads answers from a database all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Are you bittorrenting? Routers are known to hang when an excessive amount of connection threads go through them (only happens if they're performing NAT really). Could that be the cause? If so, try reducing the mex number of connections you allow your client to have.

Are you bittorrenting? Routers are known to hang when an excessive amount of connection threads go through them (only happens if they're performing NAT really). Could that be the cause? If so, try reducing the mex number of connections you allow your client to have.

In my case(hanging once a week) it makes little difference as I could do the torrent scene solid for a couple of days or leave the torrents alone for a month...I would still end up unplugging the bloody thing.

Annoying once a week...hair ripping annoying ever 1.5 days IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

It sometimes crashes within 1 hour under heavy use.

The longest I have had it behave itself has been 2 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭sleur

at first i thought this was my laptop going into hibernate but that wasn't the case. it has hung every night this week & during the day also. i have to end up unpluggin the router as it stops responding to everything. might be a good idea to get onto smart as it's really frustrating especially for large downloads over a period of time.

sleur wrote:
    at first i thought this was my laptop going into hibernate but that wasn't the case. it has hung every night this week & during the day also. i have to end up unpluggin the router as it stops responding to everything. might be a good idea to get onto smart as it's really frustrating especially for large downloads over a period of time.

Are you a Smart BB customer as well???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭sleur

yup

i tried this solution and itìs working at the moment with an aolynk router dr814 provided by smart telecom.

on the configuration panel of the router (on IE url 192.168.1.1) under security there's a tab called IDS, where Maximum TCP Open Handshaking Count is set to 100. Try to set it to 500 or more or, from the security main page, chose to disable the intrusion detection (with a software firewall by the way you should be protected anyway)
    at the moment works for me longer then hours considering that before my connection was frozen up every 10/20 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

You can also try and disable your routers ability for DNS caching and query handling because P2P programs do a lot of that sort of thing the RAM used for the storage of the queries fill up quickly and in some routers it hangs them. So just disable any DNS stuff on your router and make sure you change your internet preferences to some proper DNS servers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

You can also try and disable your routers ability for DNS caching and query handling because P2P programs do a lot of that sort of thing the RAM used for the storage of the queries fill up quickly and in some routers it hangs them. So just disable any DNS stuff on your router and make sure you change your internet preferences to some proper DNS servers.

I had the exact same problem, but I don't have the smart router. I had a D-Link DSL504 (I think) and until I disabled DNS relay it would crash every few hours. I was watching it over a serial console and see it drop into the debug menu. :mad:

Anyway, disabling all the dns stuff and setting the DHCP server to Zen's DNS servers work perfectly. (They're so fast for DNS updates)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 begad

I'm having the same problem.....could someone please tell me how to diable this dns stuff and any other setting i should change?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

begad wrote:
    I'm having the same problem.....could someone please tell me how to diable this dns stuff and any other setting i should change?
    Well it depends.....I have the same router as TimTim so thats why we solved our problem by doing the same thing but as for your problem it may not be that same thing at all......This page should help if you have the same router as me and TimTim else I'm afraid I can't help :o

Has anyone got a guide similar to what OfflerCrocGod linked to above for Zyxel routers???

Any type of Zxyel would be fine as they are all similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

I have the Zyxel 623 from BT and used to experience cut outs frequently. I set the DNS thus:

Primary 192.111.39.1
    Secondary 192.111.39.4

Went into router setup/wan and ticked the box 'nailed up connection'. The connection hasn't dropped for about six months now and I download a lot of torrents. Hope this helps as it was driving me mad too and BT help just weren't very clued in.

I have just modified my settings to use Nailed-Up Connection.

Hopefully I wont have to reset again as other users of my connection have limited technical abilities and would think the BB was down if the modem locks up if Im not around.

Heres a pic for others to follow:

nailedupconnectionzyxel6237rj.th.jpg

I just got a little more info:
    The "Nailed-Up Connection" prevents your session from timing out and disconnecting.

"idle-timeout = 0" means when no outgoing traffic to the remote node,
    the device will not drop the connection.
    But if the connection gets dropped by ISP, Prestige will not connect again automatically.

Basically by default when the Zyxel is disconnected by the ISP or any error...its just suspends itself.
    By asetting the option to "Nailed-Up Connection" the router automatically re-connects...similar to a dialup connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

There was one other setting that I didn't mention.
    I changed the interface metric to 1 in advanced TCP/IP settings. This was all trial and error, but the combination of setting adjustments got me a connection that never drops and that's what we all want.

If I could do something about my speeds now. I get 1.65 average here on the Dolphin's Barn exchange, but I'm a good distance from that exchange and my speeds on dial up were shocking - an old line too I reckon - so I don't complain.
    NTL would be nice someday!

I have mine set to "Automatic Metric" at the moment.

If it drops again then I'll change it...but Nailed-Up Connection is probable what made the difference.

• Advertisement

actually the problem i really think is the number of connections.
    most routers can't go behind 100.
    moreover aolynk is quaite crappy :P
    i bought a netgear dg834 and configured it as i did for the aolynk with the instructions of smart on the paper, and now it's working without any problem since a week ago with emule downloading @90k/sec

Alisha wrote:
    actually the problem i really think is the number of connections.
    most routers can't go behind 100.
    moreover aolynk is quaite crappy :P
    i bought a netgear dg834 and configured it as i did for the aolynk with the instructions of smart on the paper, and now it's working without any problem since a week ago with emule downloading @90k/sec

Since my dsl-504 went bust (long story, involves serial consoles and firmware) I've upgraded to the netgear dg834 and it has to be on of the best soho routers out there, and even better azureus works perfectly with uPnP on it for all my legit linux iso downloads, I rarely ever have to port forward these days.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

TimTim wrote:
    Since my dsl-504 went bust (long story, involves serial consoles and firmware) I've upgraded to the netgear dg834 and it has to be on of the best soho routers out there, and even better azureus works perfectly with uPnP on it for all my legit linux iso downloads, I rarely ever have to port forward these days.

Just a reminder for anyone thinking of making a similar purchase make sure you get the adsl2 version of the netgear 834 or indeed the linksys wag54g.
    Adsl2 versions are available and both are cheaper than what smart are offering.

dub45 wrote:
    Just a reminder for anyone thinking of making a similar purchase make sure you get the adsl2 version of the netgear 834 or indeed the linksys wag54g.
    Adsl2 versions are available and both are cheaper than what smart are offering.

To upgrade the netgear to adsl2+ all you need to do is download the latest firmware.

Not sure about the linksys though.

well obviosuly you have to upgrade the firmwavre before it works.
    acutally what i did was downloading the firmware before then upgrade it and then it was perfect.

the latest firmware for netgear dg834 or dg834g(wireless model) can be found here http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/DG834.asp

in anyone need any further details on how to configure it for smart broadband or emule just ask me

Has anyone had any luck fixing this problem with the aolynk smart router???
    Mine keeps hanging every 8 hours or so.....

Would love to fix this problem instead of having to shell out for a new router.....by the way Alisha where did you get your netgear dg834 from???

begad wrote:
    Has anyone had any luck fixing this problem with the aolynk smart router???
    Mine keeps hanging every 8 hours or so.....

Would love to fix this problem instead of having to shell out for a new router.....by the way Alisha where did you get your netgear dg834 from???

IT direct in Parliament St have them for about 120 euros but you can get the linksys wag54g for less than 110 euros also in IT direct.

Some of the English suppliers are offering a Netgear
    bundle.

I looked into the netgear router and you need to have an ethernet card which i don't have....does anyone know of a good usb 1 router i could get instead.....also i was wondering if it would be better just to buy an ethernet card and the netgear router...does anyone know if i could get any ethernet card are is there a particular one i would need for that router?

begad wrote:
    I looked into the netgear router and you need to have an ethernet card which i don't have....does anyone know of a good usb 1 router i could get instead.....also i was wondering if it would be better just to buy an ethernet card and the netgear router...does anyone know if i could get any ethernet card are is there a particular one i would need for that router?

Best bet is to buy an ethernet card - they are only about 15 euros and are very easily fitted. You should be able to pick one up in any shop that sells routers.

• Advertisement

You can get a NIC for around €10 these days.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.asp?bn=10287

Advertisement