Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Router hanging

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

Hi all,

I have been having the same hanging probs aswell, I got the netgear router mentioned in this thread and solved my prob, but i now have a slow connection, when i start the router speeds are fine but the progressively get slower as the day goes on and i have to reset. Is there anything i need to set on the router to prevent this?

scary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 begad

scary wrote:
    Hi all,

I have been having the same hanging probs aswell, I got the netgear router mentioned in this thread and solved my prob, but i now have a slow connection, when i start the router speeds are fine but the progressively get slower as the day goes on and i have to reset. Is there anything i need to set on the router to prevent this?

scary

Was wondering if you fixed this problem as i'm still considering wheter are not to buy a netgear router as im sick of the smart one hanging?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

begad wrote:
    Was wondering if you fixed this problem as i'm still considering wheter are not to buy a netgear router as im sick of the smart one hanging?????

Did you try this

Yeah I tried that TimTim and it improved the problem but is still hangs but just goes longer maybe eight hours sometimes longer without hanging...not bad but i like the idea of it never hanging so i can leave it on when i leave the house....

begad wrote:
    Yeah I tried that TimTim and it improved the problem but is still hangs but just goes longer maybe eight hours sometimes longer without hanging...not bad but i like the idea of it never hanging so i can leave it on when i leave the house....

Set it as high as it can go then. Try 500 or 1000 and see what happens.

• Advertisement

i'll try 1000 tonight maybe and see what happens......cheers TImTim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Stout77

I'm also suffering with this problem.
    The only thing that helped was to disable IDS in router configuration (talking about this, there is no point to higher the Maximum TCP Open Handshaking Count after you disable IDS), but just less frequent hang.
    That's not enough!
    Is someone brave enough to try this?
    http://en.huawei-3com.com/servlet/com.huawei3com.aolynk.download.servlet.DownloadContent/DR814V100DD026.img?resource=/files/en/aolynk/download/Software%20of%20SOHO%20product/DR814V100DD026.img
    No documentation, but seems to be the right firmware
    (in the status page of the router my actual version is DR814V100DD024)

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭arikv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭wanwarlock

just got my modem (aolynk dr814) and experiencing the hangups as well. i've changed the number to 500 and even flashed to the new firmware above (so it doesn't really help!!)

any more tip?

was thinking of getting a linksys (maybe wrt54g, had good experience with that). would that be compatible with smart or would i nee a modem with router which has adsl2+ support? any recommendations?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

wanwarlock wrote:
    just got my modem (aolynk dr814) and experiencing the hangups as well. i've changed the number to 500 and even flashed to the new firmware above (so it doesn't really help!!)

any more tip?

was thinking of getting a linksys (maybe wrt54g, had good experience with that). would that be compatible with smart or would i nee a modem with router which has adsl2+ support? any recommendations?

This all in one is available in Argos and around town for about 100 euros probably not much more than a wireless router. The netgear 834 is also adsl2 ready in the latest version but is about 20 euros dearer I think.

• Advertisement

Stout77 wrote:
    I'm also suffering with this problem.
    The only thing that helped was to disable IDS in router configuration (talking about this, there is no point to higher the Maximum TCP Open Handshaking Count after you disable IDS), but just less frequent hang.
    That's not enough!
    Is someone brave enough to try this?
    http://en.huawei-3com.com/servlet/com.huawei3com.aolynk.download.servlet.DownloadContent/DR814V100DD026.img?resource=/files/en/aolynk/download/Software%20of%20SOHO%20product/DR814V100DD026.img
    No documentation, but seems to be the right firmware
    (in the status page of the router my actual version is DR814V100DD024)

Also increased tcp handshakes to 500, still no joy :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Alisha

begad wrote:
    Has anyone had any luck fixing this problem with the aolynk smart router???
    Mine keeps hanging every 8 hours or so.....

Would love to fix this problem instead of having to shell out for a new router.....by the way Alisha where did you get your netgear dg834 from???

i bought it from pixmania.ie for 98euros shipping in cluded and had it in a few days.
    btw i'm willing to change my netgear 834dg for the wireless model, so if you're in the dublin area and still need the modem i would gladly sell it for i don't know, let's say around 80euros since i used it less than a months and i still got the whole package.

BTW i just read about the ethernet/usb things. the netgeras is also usb, it just can't handle 4 pcs as it could via ethernet but just one. bt it has usb and driver for it too.

Hi Alisha

I would be interested in the netgear dg834 router if I can use it through my usb 1 connection.....i live in dublin so PM me if you'd be interested in selling it.....cheers

Begad

Is there any final solution for aolynk dr814 (smart telecom) router who's stuck when I p2ping (emule torrents) or download big files?
    I've left only msn open on my computer this morning, up untill now (4 hours) it's still connected.
    Tried increasing tcp handshake to 500 (also disabled intrusion detection and black lists and firewall) which made the router a bit more stable but still without p2p it's o.k. for a few hours and while p2p it it's a matter of minutes till I need to unplug the router.
    I also have the latest firmware installed (originally had 25):
    http://en.huawei-3com.com/servlet/c...14V100DD026.img.

Please help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭pauldave

I am a fairly new smart telecom BB customer only got the first bill 2 weeks ago. and have instructed them that i am not paying them because i haven't got a service from them yet I dont mind paying for the calls i made but not for BB. They have agreed to this. (When I signed up the agreement said i dont have to pay anything til i'm 100% satisfied.) They sent me a replacement modem same crap. so until i get a new modem from them that works I'm not paying for the non existing service. I advise anyone else having problems to do the same.
    That is if they'll take your calls or reply to them. Customer service is very poor . :rolleyes:

My modem could hang as soon as 5 mins on p2p. tried all the possible fixes but nothing is better. have to reboot the modem could be after 10 mins or 12 hours. its ok for browsing etc but as son as i try to download anything big it hangs. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

pauldave wrote:
    I am a fairly new smart telecom BB customer only got the first bill 2 weeks ago. and have instructed them that i am not paying them because i haven't got a service from them yet I dont mind paying for the calls i made but not for BB. They have agreed to this. (When I signed up the agreement said i dont have to pay anything til i'm 100% satisfied.) They sent me a replacement modem same crap. so until i get a new modem from them that works I'm not paying for the non existing service. I advise anyone else having problems to do the same.
    That is if they'll take your calls or reply to them. Customer service is very poor . :rolleyes:

My modem could hang as soon as 5 mins on p2p. tried all the possible fixes but nothing is better. have to reboot the modem could be after 10 mins or 12 hours. its ok for browsing etc but as son as i try to download anything big it hangs. :confused:
    pauldave,

Just for clarity, it's not that it's a 'non existing service' [sic], but rather that it is only P2P attempts (RedHat ISOs, etc...) that cause the router to hang?

Garfield.

pauldave,

Just for clarity, it's not that it's a 'non existing service' [sic], but rather that it is only P2P attempts (RedHat ISOs, etc...) that cause the router to hang?

Garfield.

BTW, I've made my router a pure bridge (so he wont do the routing/dhcp) and of course created a pppoe dialer on my xp pro sp2, I've change emaule's settings back to 500/400 and it now hangs only after a few hours! which is much better, so as long as I'll unplug him like 4 times a day I'll be able to use p2p :-S.
    Rather then that it's great BB, and the router is not the worst one in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I picked up a Linksys WAG354G (linked in one of the previous posts) in Argos for €100 and so far its been an excellent replacement for the AoLynk router. Its also allowed me to set up a connection back into my home server as its supports dyndns. Bittorrents have been much better as well although I haven't exactly stressed it out on that point. Only some linux isos.

machalla wrote:
    I picked up a Linksys WAG354G (linked in one of the previous posts) in Argos for €100 and so far its been an excellent replacement for the AoLynk router. Its also allowed me to set up a connection back into my home server as its supports dyndns. Bittorrents have been much better as well although I haven't exactly stressed it out on that point. Only some linux isos.

I've talked to a nice guy from smart, he gave me another dns server settings (not home so not sure if they're the same as those automatically created), I'll set'em up manually, but so far my p2p client works on 60 kbps average without hanging for around 5 hours now (and counting) since disabled routing (previous reply).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭cal29

pauldave,

Garfield.

But if you want to use your broadband connection for P2P, torrents etc even just running in the background then Smart is useless as you cannot use the connection for anything else once it hangs

The problem is that Smart are using a crap modem that has a major issue in that it will not allow torrents or P2P and in effect makes the broadband service useless

Why Smart invest money in going with their own equipment and using ADSL2 and then let themselves down by using cheap crappy aolink modems that are clearly not up to the job is beyond me

Surely someone in Smart can see that they have enough problems with the way Eircon has ****ed them about without making it any worse for themselves by having the brave souls who have changed their phone numbers etc to go with smart on here complaining about cheap ****ty modems etc

Come on be Smart replace those crappy Aolinks with someting that is capable of doing the job before the people who have smart frighten the rest of us from taking it up

Personally there is no way I am going to Smart if they cant supply a half decent modem

• Advertisement

arikv wrote:
    BTW, I've made my router a pure bridge (so he wont do the routing/dhcp) and of course created a pppoe dialer on my xp pro sp2, I've change emaule's settings back to 500/400 and it now hangs only after a few hours! which is much better, so as long as I'll unplug him like 4 times a day I'll be able to use p2p :-S.
    Rather then that it's great BB, and the router is not the worst one in the world.

If you have to unplug the modem 4 times a day to maintain the service then I am afraid it is not great BB and it sounds like a candidate for worst router if not an outright winner

cal29 wrote:
    If you have to unplug the modem 4 times a day to maintain the service then I am afraid it is not great BB and it sounds like a candidate for worst router if not an outright winner

2 things:
    1. Don't forget that you get the router for free.
    2. I'm now using the router (aolynk 814) for 3 days straight while emule is avg 72kbps, since i've disabled the routing on the router and created a pppoe dialer on my xp machine, and added the dns servers manually to the connection - I didn't had to use it as a router anyway.
    I have wireless network which is connected separately, and works using XPs ICS.

pauldave wrote:

My solution is working for me, check out the 120KBPS download, hasn't had problem while using po2p for 4 days straight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Hey arikv,

Change that pic of your RIGHT NOW as certain infringement of copyright can be clearly seen!!!

Charlie wont be pleased!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

The problem is probably because the router has a very limited memory memoryspace for NAT connections. i.e. it can only hold 50 at a time. Depending on how the router is programmed, it either freezes when it gets over this amount (i.e. runs out of memory) or it stops dropping new connections.

Putting it in bridge mode drops the nat completely and so bypasses the problem. A firmware upgrade can't fix the problem if its a problem due to low memoryspace, it could only mask it by making the router drop connections instead of hanging.

Getting a better router would be the best option. Ideally you'd just get the most basic ethernet router that works and hook it up to the ADSL2 one you have already and stick smarts one in bridge mode.

Getting a better router would be the best option. Ideally you'd just get the most basic ethernet router that works and hook it up to the ADSL2 one you have already and stick smarts one in bridge mode.

The smart router would do the ADSL2+ part, the router would just know how to handle PPPoE.

Assuming you use the smart router as a bridge and plug a router ethernet WAN into smart's router

DSLAM---->AoLynk--->Router w/ethernet wan----> PC/Hub/Switch etc.

TimTim wrote:
    The smart router would do the ADSL2+ part, the router would just know how to handle PPPoE.

Assuming you use the smart router as a bridge and plug a router ethernet WAN into smart's router

DSLAM---->AoLynk--->Router w/ethernet wan----> PC/Hub/Switch etc.
    Exactly. Theres no point in splashing out extra cash on an ADSL2 router (which won't be of any use to you in the future if you get cable, or ADSL standard). By getting a standard ethernet router, you can use it no matter what type of broadband you get in the future. Just make sure you put the AoLynk in bridge mode, so the new router handles all the NAT'ing.
    But Lucas... It has been my lifelong dream to live in a house previously occupied by supermodel lesbians.
    What i wonder is, wtf is Scott up to! Thats what i ask!

EDIT: I think i've gone mad. I just spent 2 minutes laughing at the Turple in my sig. I could swear its giving me the evil eye! I'm in a bad way :P

arikv wrote:
    2 things:
    1. Don't forget that you get the router for free.
    2. I'm now using the router (aolynk 814) for 3 days straight while emule is avg 72kbps, since i've disabled the routing on the router and created a pppoe dialer on my xp machine, and added the dns servers manually to the connection - I didn't had to use it as a router anyway.
    I have wireless network which is connected separately, and works using XPs ICS.

Your not getting anything for free Smart have included the cost of the router in the price they are charging

look if you have to disable routing nat the firewall etc etc then it just proves what a piece of crap the Aolink is and 72kbps is hardly pushing the modem on a 2Mbps connection

Instead of being happy that smart gave you a "free" piece of crap you should be complaining to smart that the equipment they are supplying as part of their broadband package is not capable of doing what it is meant to do

Anyone who goes out and buys a modem needs their head examined get smart to provide you with something that is at least able to work and dont pay them anything till they do

For my part there is no way I would even consider Smart while they are handng out crap like this

I should have thought of this earlier...

If you use Azureus as your Bittorrent client, go into the settings, and set the global max connections to about 20, and test a torrent. If it works fine, set it 5 higher, and keep going up until it freezes. When you find that limit, thats roughly the max amount of connections your router can take before it dies. Drop the max connections a bit below that value so you still have a few connections free for regular browsing/gaming etc.

• Advertisement

zuma wrote:
    Hey arikv,

Change that pic of your RIGHT NOW as certain infringement of copyright can be clearly seen!!!

Charlie wont be pleased!!!

There's nothing illegal about it, those are some images of non copyrighted files

Advertisement