Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Router hanging

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭arikv

I should have thought of this earlier...

If you use Azureus as your Bittorrent client, go into the settings, and set the global max connections to about 20, and test a torrent. If it works fine, set it 5 higher, and keep going up until it freezes. When you find that limit, thats roughly the max amount of connections your router can take before it dies. Drop the max connections a bit below that value so you still have a few connections free for regular browsing/gaming etc.

Tried that already before solved it, up to 30 hard limit, it was working (slow)

BTW, I use the aolynk now as a bridge, and I don't need any router because my wireless network is in ICS mode without any routing needed (2 computers, fixed ip, 10m range).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

arikv wrote:
    There's nothing illegal about it, those are some images of non copyrighted files

Are you trying to tell me that:

"he.Chocolate.Factory.iNTER"

is not:

Charlie and the Chocolate factory by iNTERNAL(Ripping group).

And the load of 700MB files to me says movies in AVI/SVCD format.
    So yes that picture of yours is FULL OF PIRATED MATERIAL!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 schöfferhoffer

Alisha wrote:
    i tried this solution and itìs working at the moment with an aolynk router dr814 provided by smart telecom.

on the configuration panel of the router (on IE url 192.168.1.1) under security there's a tab called IDS, where Maximum TCP Open Handshaking Count is set to 100. Try to set it to 500 or more or, from the security main page, chose to disable the intrusion detection (with a software firewall by the way you should be protected anyway)
    at the moment works for me longer then hours considering that before my connection was frozen up every 10/20 minutes.

...found these settings. could any body tell were to find ALL the other stuff, like TCP/IP , DNS, etc to optimize the dr814 IN the dr814 menue (cause i don't find it with general explications) with smart and any P2P???
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Atacander

was thinking of getting a linksys (maybe wrt54g, had good experience with that). would that be compatible with smart or would i nee a modem with router which has adsl2+ support? any recommendations?[/QUOTE]

I have the same doubt..I want to get a new router (seeing that the one that Smart suplied its not even close to work properly) but i dont know wich one its gonna be the best one...

Could anybody tell me any name or so...? (non Wireless if poss)

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

As long as its ADSL 2+ compatible.

I picked up the Belkin F5D7633uk4A ADSL2+ Modem with High Speed Mode Wireless-G Router in Argos for €120.

I have yet to see it crash and I've been using it for over 7 weeks practically non-stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

You will need an ADSL2 router as thats what Smarts offering uses as far as I know.

Linksys WAG354G
    http://www1.linksys.com/international/product.asp?coid=6&ipid=764

I picked up one of these in Argos for €100 a few weeks back and its done the job wonderfully.

I'd definitely recommend it so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 vovus

.. [sorry for relaying]
    for those interested/affected by aolynk dr814 hangup problem - just got mail from smart telecom:

This is a copy of an announcement in our support forums:
    http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/announcement.php?f=3

Backround
    =
    Our dsl modem vendor has released a firmware upgrade for the Aolynk
    DR814. This is the wired DSL modem which the majority of our customers
    use.

This upgrade addresses a number of issues including:
    DSL modem can become unresponsive and has to be rebooted
    when using a large number of simultaneous connections (as
    occurs with some peer to peer networks).

Some earlier firmware's result in the modems defaulting to
    using ADSL1. This can lead to lower max attainable speeds
    and reach.

We've also been informed by our vendor that a number of software
    bugs have been fixed in this release.

We advise all customers with Aolynk DR814's to upgrade to the latest
    firmware.

before updating firmware - read instructions carefully (not mentioned here for saving space :)
    http://support.smarttelecom.ie/files/DR814V100DD028.img

Good Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭pauldave

pauldave,

Just for clarity, it's not that it's a 'non existing service' [sic], but rather that it is only P2P attempts (RedHat ISOs, etc...) that cause the router to hang?

Garfield.

Yes it was Smarts non existing service (as in customer service) i was complaining about. Its now jan 2006 and over all I am happy to be away from Eircom but smart would want to clean up thier act as I am not the only one complaining about the crap modems supplied from smart or the crap service or customer support.
    I bought a new modem. and all is superb but had to figure out how to set it up myself as numerous calls to smart was met with "I'll call you back on that" and everyone knows what that means I'm still waiting for the calls.
    Still all in all I was with Eircom and UTV and I am happy with the deal i am getting from Smart. Its just a pity the customer service isn't up to scratch.
    So much trouble could have been saved if Smart had of supplied decent modems or told the customers that the hardware we are giving you are pure s**t and you'd be better off binning it and digging into your pocket and buying a good modem.
    I still have an outstanding complaint regarding the quality of phone service (it sounds like a dodgy mobile going out of coverage now and again) but i am not worried about it as with VOIPSTUNT all my calls are free to western europe USA and UK. so wont be making phone calls from my landline anymore.
    I have to say again I am happy with the deal from Smart but the customer service is rubbish.
    Pauldave :D

Advertisement