Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Griffith College-anyone going?

• 24-06-2005 1:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭

Is anyone else going there in September? I've been given a conditional place on the LLB course. They had an open day yesterday but I couldn't go, was anyone there?

Is there anyone going there currently and if so what's it like.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Hey, I did LLB there for a while and i didnt have a good experience but the few others i did know enjoyed themselves. The Social Life isnt great but the LLB course has a good atmosphere among the students and the lecturers are fairly funky ( watch out for langwallner ) . Eventually I dropped out of the course for many a reason but im sure you will enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Easily_Irritated

Don't go to GCD. Its the worest college in Ireland by far. I spent 4 years there and I simply can't explain how utterly **** that place is.

Don't Go
    Don't Go
    Don't Go
    Don't Go

DONT GO!

Oh wait... memories are flooding back. Now I remember why i just finished my leaving cert for the second time at 21.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭canavanbn@hotma

Why is it so bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Don't go to GCD. Its the worest college in Ireland by far.

So just how many colleges in Ireland have you been to?

I have attended several colleges, and I can say for sure that GCD is the most profesionally run institute I have attended. I remember having a few out of the ordinary requests that were handled without problem. The academic staff were, for the most part, on the ball and experts in their fields. The administrative staff were a joy to deal with.

• Advertisement

A little anicdote about GCD.

I passed all my exams in 1st year, mmm nice summer. August came and No word from my college about classes coomencing or anything tbh. All my UCD / Trinners mates had previously recieved timetables ect ect. SO i went to GCD and went to my course administrator.

"Whats the dealio with college starting?" I asked
    "Oh not for another two weeks" he said.
    "Grand"

came back two weeks later and I was three weeks late for college . Missed the basics of my modules and left. Lectures were thick with me that I had the nerve to walk into their classes three weeks late.

Knob College.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Should hopefully be starting the Msc in computing there in September.

Was at the open day last week and the lecturer we talked to seemed grand. Had no problems spending as long as we wanted answering all our questions, and following up by email on the ones he couldnt answer straight away.

That's what I did - was it Tony Mullins you were talking to?

He's very sharp, and a very nice person. The course isn't too bad, I enjoyed it.

tom dunne wrote:
    That's what I did - was it Tony Mullins you were talking to?

He's very sharp, and a very nice person. The course isn't too bad, I enjoyed it.

no it was Kevin Hely. the programming lecturer. glad to hear you enjoyed it. Im looking forward to getting back into it.

Out of interest what did you do for the project & how did you find it? & what subjects did you pick?

Automated Problem Diagnoses in a Heterogeneous Networked Environment :D

Basically a troubleshooter for distributed applications.

I thoroughly enjoyed the project, picked something that was relevant to the job, so I had a good interest in it. Subjects I chose were Computer graphics (fascinating), Advanced databases (fluffy and vague) and Advanced communications (yawn). None of them were overly hard, if you put in the work, you will come out with a good mark.

• Advertisement

tom dunne wrote:
    Automated Problem Diagnoses in a Heterogeneous Networked Environment :D

Basically a troubleshooter for distributed applications.

I thoroughly enjoyed the project, picked something that was relevant to the job, so I had a good interest in it. Subjects I chose were Computer graphics (fascinating), Advanced databases (fluffy and vague) and Advanced communications (yawn). None of them were overly hard, if you put in the work, you will come out with a good mark.

Thats pretty much what Ive heard. Hopefully this time next year Ill be winding down with the project (im doing it part time).Do you cover oracle in DB's? & does c++/any programming feature heavily in the comp graphics class?

That sounds like an interesting project title alright, one of those that you have to read a couple times to fully get your head around it.

Dont suppose they keep past projects online somewhere do they? wouldnt mind a look at the scale of whats involved? Im a little nervous of the project having been out of college a few years.

Apologies to GDM for highjacking the thread.
    skywalker wrote:
    Do you cover oracle in DB's?

Not a friggin' hope. Enhanced Entity relationship diagrams, some fluffy object orientated datbases and persistent connections to a DB using Java. Nothing of any practical use, though it keeps the HETAC people away.
    skywalker wrote:
    does c++/any programming feature heavily in the comp graphics class?

I'm sorry, but ROFL, ROFL and ROFL again. We did some 3-D modelling in 3-D Studio max, that was the nearest to any kind of programming. We did go through some algorithms, interesting, but mostly theoretical.
    skywalker wrote:
    Dont suppose they keep past projects online somewhere do they?

They keep the name of the project on the GCD website, but nothing more substantial. The actual projects are in the library - ask for them and they will hand the actual bound theses out to you for a short time. We had to hand in two - one for the project supervisor, one for the library.

tom dunne wrote:
    Not a friggin' hope. Enhanced Entity relationship diagrams, some fluffy object orientated datbases and persistent connections to a DB using Java. Nothing of any practical use, though it keeps the HETAC people away.

Boo. Was hoping for some practical experience of oracle. Still Any DB stuff is better than none for me (hoping to end up as a DBA & primary degree only covered the basics.)

tom dunne wrote:
    I'm sorry, but ROFL, ROFL and ROFL again. We did some 3-D modelling in 3-D Studio max, that was the nearest to any kind of programming. We did go through some algorithms, interesting, but mostly theoretical.

Thats actually what I was hoping to hear. I havent a clue of c++, and dont want to get bogged down in it unneccessarily. It was putting me off taking comp gfx, but if thats the case then sound.

tom dunne wrote:
    They keep the name of the project on the GCD website, but nothing more substantial. The actual projects are in the library - ask for them and they will hand the actual bound theses out to you for a short time. We had to hand in two - one for the project supervisor, one for the library.

Hmmm good to know. might ramble over there for a day at some point over the summer & check out a few of them.

Thanks for the info Tom. Might pick your brain again with a few more q's closer to the time if thats ok?

skywalker wrote:
    It was putting me off taking comp gfx, but if thats the case then sound.

I have to admit I found graphics fascinating (and not overly difficult, I must add).
    skywalker wrote:
    Thanks for the info Tom. Might pick your brain again with a few more q's closer to the time if thats ok?

Not a bother - might want to PM me, I don't check here too often.

Will do my friend. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Is there anyone who has gone through the LLb course and could give me a list of the books used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Why don't you ring the college and ask them there, or do you want to know books that' be handy to have to hand?

John

I did call the college but they were no use. I'm trying to get a head start on the course. Any recommendations would be great. I already have

Priciples of Irish Law
    Make that Grade Irish Company Law
    Make that Grade Irish Tort Law

I've just been sent a copy of the first year reading list by the college, if anyone wants a copy just let me know.

They only give you five bloody books in first year. Robbing $#!*$. That might be more than other places (I don't know) but having seen the reading list for the first year alone there are loads of other books which students would need constant access to which they don't provide. At €5000 a year I would expect more than five measly books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Griffith Colleg

Here is the list of books supplied by Griffith College’s Law School to its first year LL.B students (second and third years also receive a set of free core texts):

Constitutional Law, Casey (retail price €110)
    Contract Law, McDermott (retail price €140)
    Irish Legal System, Byrne & McCutcheon (retail price €84.45)
    Sources of Law, O'Malley (retail price €65)
    The Law of Torts, Burke & Corbett (retail price €42)
    (Total retail price €441.45)

These books are offered on the LLB course only and are included in the course fees.

For a more information about this and other courses in Griffith College and to request a brochure, you can contact admissions@gcd.ie.

Law Faculty Administrator

• Advertisement

Here is the list of books supplied by Griffith College’s Law School to its first year LL.B students (second and third years also receive a set of free core texts):

Constitutional Law, Casey (retail price €110)
    Contract Law, McDermott (retail price €140)
    Irish Legal System, Byrne & Scutcheon (retail price €84.45)
    Sources of Law, Amalle (retail price €65)
    The Law of Torts, Burke & Corbett (retail price €42)
    (Total retail price €441.45)

These books are offered on the LLB course only and are included in the course fees.

For a more information about this and other courses in Griffith College and to request a brochure, you can contact admissions@gcd.ie.

Law Faculty Administrator

I remember i originally did BALB where alot of my courses were the same as LLB yet I wasnt provided the books while I paid the same fees as LLB students and wasnt able to afford the same resources granted to the majority of my classmates. What was the reasoning behind this?

Advertisement