Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike lanes and driveways

• 24-06-2005 2:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭

I have been using a bike recently for the first time in years. There is a bike lane that goes past people's driveways that open onto a large road. the bike lane has been constructed so that it runs along the road side of the pavement, separating pedestrians from car traffic. The strange thing is that for each driveway, the bike lane dips to accomodate the ramped driveway's entrance onto the road. The constant dipping makes cycling difficult but also gives the impression that cars have right of way over bikes in the bike lane.

It seems obvious that it would have been smarter to keep the bike lane level and require those leaving their houses to pass over a bike lane sized ramp. What am I missing? Are bike lanes built like this in any other country?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Zaph0d wrote:
    The constant dipping makes cycling difficult but also gives the impression that cars have right of way over bikes in the bike lane.....What am I missing?

What you're missing is understanding why cycle tracks are built in Ireland. Any benefit to cyclists is a matter of chance, not design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

sounds like leopardstown road, or the N11 heading towards town. both of them have horrible up-downs like that. really stupid. I mean the path is flat all the way along there - if they could manage that.... sheesh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

The driveway rodeo as one previous poster put it.

Its an appalling feature of Dublin cyclelanes. Its actually good fun on a MTB with decent suspension, but I can imagine its no fun at all on a lightweight road bike. Cycle lanes in Dublin are designed to separate cyclists from traffic AND categorise them as second class road users. You as a cyclist are no longer regarded as an equal user of the road. Plus you've got to mix it with the pedestrians who don't see the lanes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

I started a thread on this earlier on the cycling board:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=262795

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

Clontarf Road, just after the junction with the Howth and Malahide roads, has the same type of bike lane. At least, it does before it mysteriously peters out 200m futher on.

It's one of the few cycle lanes on my way to work that I refuse to use. Between the ramps and people reversing straight out onto the footpath, its just not safe.

And don't get me started about people parking on the cycle lane the other side of the school.

• Advertisement
Advertisement