Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling a House - In Need Of Renovation

Options
  • 24-06-2005 10:15am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads

My dad has a semi-d in a west of Ireland seaside town. He advertised in the buy and sell there for about 2 months and got your "tyre kickers" but had no joy in selling it.

It need renovation and that but the question is where is the best place to advertise a building like this, it would be a DIYers dream, I understand we could use an auctioneer but would prefer to sell it without them

Any ideas??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

The buy and sell is not exactly the best publication to advertise property. www.myhome.ie is definitly the best place to advertise in general IMHO.
    Is it a DIYers dream or is it really a developers dream?
    Somebody will want it but it is a matter of price, for 2K I'll buy it but for 200k i won't. If you want to to sell it you need to research your local market or get an estate agent to do it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thanks MorningStar
    Ya, we did research in the area and priced it accordingly.

As for Diyer or developer, an experience DIYer I suppose, needs 3 new windows and a door, repainted, kitchen, doors, skirting, architrave etc.

I will try myhome.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Another option is tp put a few quid into it. by adding 2-3K in some maintanence work/decorating can add 5-10K to the sale price of your house.

D..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

That's really good advise. You will generally make more profit if you put investment into it. Why let a developer make the profit?
    What kind of size and price is it? Location is really the big thing.
    You could come to a deal with your Dad that if you invest money in the house you get a cut of the additional profit. It would be usefull life experience plus cash all usefull at any time of life but great if you don't own yourself.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I am in the very middle of building me onw house so the last thing I need at the moment is to get into another house!!!!!

BUT I totally understand what u are saying, I will talk to him about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Yop,

You could try daft.ie they are running a promotion of their site on the eircom homepage, that should mean a lot of visits, you only need one good one to turn up ;)

The summer is slipping by which is the best time to sell seaside property, it always looks and feels better in good weather, it might be worth the autioneers fee to have it on their listing, you can even share it out to a few, the one who sells it gets the fee.

Advertisement