Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing Material Costs - Any idea??

Options
  • 24-06-2005 11:24am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads

Would any of you have any idea of what sort of costs a man would expect for materials.

I got a quote there from a plumber for 6k, all materials inclusive.

Now what we are looking at is 2 water tanks and a pump, to give us presurrised system throughout the house.
    The domestic water runs to the sink, washing machine, dishwasher.
    There is piping and waste for bath, toilet, handbasin + shower downstairs.
    piping and waste for bath, toilet, handbasin + shower upstairs, then piping and waste for shower, toilet and handbasin downstairs.

There is a run then from the cylinder to the 2 manifolds (about 30ft runs each.)

I got a labour only cost from a lad for 1500 euro, BUT he can only do it at weekends, so it really does not suit me at all.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Rubens

Hi Yop

:D Not a good question to ask ... see here :
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=255229

However as a ROUGH guide I got heating and plumbing gear through a plumber a while back for 3.5k for the following:

50000 BTU Boiler
    Cold Water tank
    Cylinder
    Pipes and Fittings for the above
    5 Rads and fittings
    Pump
    Oil Tank
    Heating Controls

Not a difinitive answer but hopefully will give you an idea...

R

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Rubens wrote:
    Hi Yop

:D Not a good question to ask ... see here :
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=255229

However as a ROUGH guide I got heating and plumbing gear through a plumber a while back for 3.5k for the following:

50000 BTU Boiler
    Cold Water tank
    Cylinder
    Pipes and Fittings for the above
    5 Rads and fittings
    Pump
    Oil Tank
    Heating Controls

Not a difinitive answer but hopefully will give you an idea...

R

Hi Rubens,

Looks like that string was a lot shorter than you had anticipated, I presume you got sorted out on the insurance issue OK ?

"Hi all

Any knowledgeable souls out there who could give me a ballpark figure for the cost of the MATERIALS-ONLY for a new Oil-Fired Central Heating System?

Approx 10 rads
    Pipes and Fittings
    Water Tank
    Cylinder
    Pumps
    Boiler
    Oil Tank
    etc

Heres hoping that someone who has dealt with this sort of thing recently is reading this....

Many Ta Tas

TJ

Hi Yop,

The reasons I didn't reply to your question are ;

1 I have not purchased any medium quantities of pipes and fittings lately.

2 There was what appeared to be a qualified plumber posting here today and I thought he might have wished to share some professional knowledge with you.

As you are aware I would have been delighted to assist you if I thought my post would be of true beneficial help.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

rooferPete wrote:
    Hi Rubens,

Looks like that string was a lot shorter than you had anticipated, I presume you got sorted out on the insurance issue OK ?

"Hi all

Any knowledgeable souls out there who could give me a ballpark figure for the cost of the MATERIALS-ONLY for a new Oil-Fired Central Heating System?

Approx 10 rads
    Pipes and Fittings
    Water Tank
    Cylinder
    Pumps
    Boiler
    Oil Tank
    etc

Heres hoping that someone who has dealt with this sort of thing recently is reading this....

Many Ta Tas

TJ

Hi Yop,

The reasons I didn't reply to your question are ;

1 I have not purchased any medium quantities of pipes and fittings lately.

2 There was what appeared to be a qualified plumber posting here today and I thought he might have wished to share some professional knowledge with you.

As you are aware I would have been delighted to assist you if I thought my post would be of true beneficial help.

Ah go on Rooferpete, you could n't resist posting after that referal to the other thread. :D:D:D

And I can't either. What happened to the other five rads Rubens. :D:D:D

Hi Yop,

I didn't realise we have to post our apologies, if we can't help on the topic, so here goes. Sorry Yop, I cant help you about material costs. But if you pay your Rookad invoice by the close of business, we will pass your query onto Rookad utilities department. :D:D:D:D

kadman :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Pete

No bother lad, I wud appreciate if the plumber came to me, Some mentioned to me that since he was putting in a presurrised system that the pump and tanks been used was pushing the price
    Don't know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭gregos

Hello Yop.

Naturally, I also wouldn't dream of cutting across a qualified person, but I too was wondering why you would need a tank or a pump with a pressurised system. Obviously, the answer to this will immediately become plain once it has been explained, but right now I just can't see it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭flocker

If the incoming mains pressure was poor, you can pressurized a system by using a pump with a supply from the storage tank(s).

Dman, my bad sepilneg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Rubens

Tut Tut lads,

Believe it or not I thought I was being helpful to Yop and sharing my experience in the price of the materials I bought of late :o .

BTW The other five rads came from a site where I recycled some used but perfectly good rads.

Anyway try to do good deed with a bit of tongue-in-cheek humour and thats the response :(

Farewell

RJ

Light hearted banter Rubens, dont take it too seriously. :D:D:D

Why, I've even been chastised my self here lately, :eek: :eek: :eek:

but it will take more than that to get rid of me. :D:D:D

Hi Rubens,

I think it's great that you were providing a list of goods and the price paid to give Yop a guide, it was certainly more than I had to hand.

As to your humour well I didn't see a funny side, perhaps if you post a little more we or I could get used to what you see as fun and everyone is happy, after all you do have experience to share.

Yop,

Like Flocker I don't understand why the standard plumbing system should be pressurised, I have used pumped systems in large buildings like convents but the most in private homes is usually a pump for the showers.

Your cylinders are possibly going to be fairly expensive, if I recall you are using a large cylinder with more than one coil, they can be hard to cost because they are very often special orders.

To get the prussure you need have you looked at marrying the storage tanks together ? that should get you enough pressure for the plumbing system.

The pumps are in my limited experience usually reserved for the pressurised heating system.

Sorry but that's all I have to offer.

• Advertisement

It might just be that I'm lucky where I live, but I installed a sealed system for my water with great success. All showers operate at mains pressure with no need for auxiliary pumps, and give a great flow. No header tank, just a big Assos cylinder for the hot water. Works great, and as an added bonus, all water from all taps is drinkable.

Gregos,
    just watch the Assos cylinder (from Heatmerchants?). Good enough cylinder and reasonably well finished, but it needs to have an anode changed regularly. They recommend every year. I have seen the coil fail if they are not maintained.
    I think going the extra for a stainless steel cylinder would be less hassle even though it's more expensive.

Roofer pete.
    As you are probably aware, in many private houses the plumbing fixtures tend to be european made/supplied where they use high pressure systems. If you fitted these to a gravity system you could pi** harder. Where the incoming mains pressure is low you can fit a pump and pressurize the whole domestic system in a house using a supply from the storage tanks.
    It depends on the householder and what they want, sometimes it is enough to fit a Monsoon/watermill/salamander pump to a shower unit and leave the rest of the system on a gravity feed.
    Other times they want a fully pressurized sytem, secondary return, solar heating on a secondary coil etc etc

Thanks flocker,

I'm learning new stuff everyday, we used to fit pumps to the mains because the pressure around Dublin was so bad it would take all night to fill the attic tanks.

Looks like I need to do a refresher course in the plumbing business to keep up with the modern fixtures and fittings ;)

rooferPete wrote:
    Thanks flocker,

I'm learning new stuff everyday, we used to fit pumps to the mains because the pressure around Dublin was so bad it would take all night to fill the attic tanks.

Tell me more Rooferpete. I,m having that problem in the last 12 months, due to new houses on the current mains, but with no local pressure improvement.

I have considered fitting a pump to increase the pressure. Is it the standard myson/similar central heating pump that's used.

Hi Kadman,

They are still available, a small pressure vessel with a pump on top, connect to the mains on the way in or just the feed to the storage tank in the attic.

The usual is to leave the kitchen sink run direct off the mains unless the pressure is very bad, the minus side is they do cause a surge at the tap very similar to a well pump.

Hi Rooferpete,

Could you give me a name or manufacturer, so I know exactly what I'm looking for,

Kadman :)

flocker wrote:
    Gregos,
    just watch the Assos cylinder (from Heatmerchants?). Good enough cylinder and reasonably well finished, but it needs to have an anode changed regularly. They recommend every year. I have seen the coil fail if they are not maintained.
    Hi flocker. That's interesting: I understood that the cylinder is glass-lined, so is the anode connected to the coil? If so, would Heatmerchants supply the replacement? Also, can you describe how to locate it on the cylinder?

Gregos,
    there is a large black plastic cover ¾ way down the cylinder the anode is in behind it on the type of cylinder we went to. Heatmerchants had supplied the cylinder and anode. I dont know who else supplies or carries parts for the Assos cylinder.

Rooferpete,
    we used to fit pumps to the mains because the pressure around Dublin was so bad it would take all night to fill the attic tanks
    Completely right again rooferpete, it's that long since we've had that problem that l forgot about that way of boosting the pressure.

Kadman,
    l think any of the manufacturers (Wilo, Grundfos etc) do produce a pump for boosting the mains. It maybe just as easy to ask any supplier of waterwell pumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

gregos wrote:
    Naturally, I also wouldn't dream of cutting across a qualified person, but I too was wondering why you would need a tank or a pump with a pressurised system. Obviously, the answer to this will immediately become plain once it has been explained, but right now I just can't see it.
    Having a pump is what makes a system presurised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭patrido

gregos wrote:
    It might just be that I'm lucky where I live, but I installed a sealed system for my water with great success. All showers operate at mains pressure with no need for auxiliary pumps, and give a great flow. No header tank, just a big Assos cylinder for the hot water. Works great, and as an added bonus, all water from all taps is drinkable.

is this system a thermal store? or am i confused? or both :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Lads
    That for the input,

Just to confirm we already have a high pressure a cylinder so this is not part of the costs.

I was talking to a local plumbing store on Saturday and they said that a house will a fully pressurised system than a house with a pump on each of the showers (3 in our case)!

We are on a mains water supply.

To be honest I am totally confused as to which route to go. !!

Victor wrote:
    Having a pump is what makes a system presurised.
    Well, that could easily be a working definition, but the source of the pressure doesn't need to be a pump. My system operates at 2 bar, and is sealed from the atmosphere. That's a pressurised system as far as I'm concerned.

Advertisement