Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Database design problem.

Options
  • 24-06-2005 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Im trying to build a database which will control what links a user will see once he logs in. Now this isnt built yet but already im running into problems trying to see how im going to get it working.

I have 4 tables :
    tblUser
    id
    username
    site_id
    level_id
    password

tblSite
    id
    Site

tblLevel
    id
    Level

tblLinks
    id
    title
    url

Now as i said these tables are not built yet so this layout can change. The Level table has the Work level the person is (Manager, team leader, worker ... etc) The site table records where they work (Ireland, England ...)

Now what i want to do is only allow people to see Links that are specified for their site and with their access level or lower. But i dont want to have to put in multiple entries in the link table for one link. But the problem is that Some people should be able to see all links from all sites.

I probably havent explained this as well as i should but can anyone give me an idea as to the right way to do this.

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Kai wrote:
    Now what i want to do is only allow people to see Links that are specified for their site and with their access level or lower. But i dont want to have to put in multiple entries in the link table for one link. But the problem is that Some people should be able to see all links from all sites.
    Is this a function of the level they're at, or of the individual? For example, if all managers can see all sites, then you can set up the query accordingly. If only some people should be able to see all the links, then you'll need another field in the users table to identify them.

When you're querying, you'll need to get the user data first. Based on either the user level or the flag as mentioned above, you're either selecting all records or selecting all records for the user's site with a level <= the user's level. This assumes you've set the levels up in a numeric format that you can compare easily like this. If the levels are actually names (like 'Manager' etc), then add a numeric level to the table that you can compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Kai wrote:
    Now what i want to do is only allow people to see Links that are specified for their site and with their access level or lower.

For a start, that will require that the Link table have a "minimum Access Level" field, or somesuch (it may be max level if you take 1 as the 'highest' access level, rather than the lowest)
    But i dont want to have to put in multiple entries in the link table for one link. But the problem is that Some people should be able to see all links from all sites.

Shouldn't need to.

Join the tables using an inequality (I'll demonstrate) and you should have no problems...
    SELECT <whatever>
    FROM User
    LEFT OUTER JOIN Link
    	ON User.LevelId >= Link.MinimumLevelId
    WHERE user.Name = <whatever> 

<edit>
    Changed <= to >= cause I called the field in Link MinimumLevelId.
    If higher levels of privs have lower IDs (e.g. admin is 1, Manager is 2, and so on) then it would be more appropriately:
    	ON User.LevelId <= Link.MaxLevelId

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

Shouldn't need to.

Join the tables using an inequality (I'll demonstrate) and you should have no problems...

Ok, i get the <= thing thats a good idea. Just to throw an extra spanner in the works. Most links should be viewable by all Sites, others by 1 0r 2 sites and others for only 1 site. How could i handle that baring in mind that the Access level also applies for each site.

Ill be putting a web frontend on it so i just want to add new links which i can specify which sites have access to it and what minimum leve of worker all in one line and the DB handles all the rest :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

This is a common problem. You might like to make your system even better by adding a start and end time to your links so that they only become active on a go live date and they expire when they are no longer relevant.

Make a table like this
    tblLinkPermission
    -----------------
    PermissionID int
    LinkID int
    SiteID int
    UserID int
    LevelID int
    Everyone bit

This table specifies that a certain link is visible to a certain user or a certain site or a certain management level or visible to everyone.

Also add a column to your tblUser table to specify superusers who get to see all links.
    tblUser
    ---------
    id
    username
    site_id
    level_id
    password
    superuser bit

Now you can add rows to tblLinkPermission to determine who gets to see which links. You need a query like this to decide whether a user is authorized to see a link.
    --first get users whose site has permission
    SELECT title,URL
    FROM 	tblLinks l INNER JOIN tblLinkPermission lp
     		ON l.ID=lp.LinkID
    	INNER JOIN tblSite s 
    		ON s.ID=lp.SiteID
    	INNER JOIN tblUser u
    		ON u.site_id=s.ID
    WHERE	u.ID = @myuserid

UNION
    --then get users whose level has permission
    SELECT title,URL
     		ON l.ID=lp.LinkID
    	INNER JOIN tblLevel le 
    		ON le.ID=lp.LevelID
    	INNER JOIN tblUser u
    		ON u.level_id>=le.ID
    WHERE	u.ID = @myuserid

UNION
    --then get users who have individual permission
    SELECT title,URL
     		ON l.ID=lp.LinkID
    WHERE	lp.UserID = @myuserid

UNION
    --then get links that have the 'everyone' flag set
    SELECT title,URL
     		ON l.ID=lp.LinkID
    WHERE	lp.everyone=1

UNION
    --get all links if the user is a superuser
    SELECT title,URL
    FROM 	tblLinks  INNER JOIN tblLinkPermission lp
     		ON l.ID=lp.LinkID
    	INNER JOIN tblUser u 
    		ON u.ID=@myuserid AND u.Superuser=1

Holy crap.

right ill give that a go and let you know. think id better start reading that SQL server 2000 Programming book i bought so i can get my head round what im doing :-D

• Advertisement

Kai wrote:
    Most links should be viewable by all Sites, others by 1 0r 2 sites and others for only 1 site. How could i handle that baring in mind that the Access level also applies for each site.

You'll need a LinkSite "connector" table.

A N-M relationship (which is exactly what you're describing - each site can potentially see many links, each link can potentially be seen by many sites) requires a "connector" table in standard relational database models.

If you have MSSQL 2000 loaded, ahve a look in the pubs database, at title, author and titleauthor. This is how you handle a book having one-or-many authors, and each author having one-or-many books.

What you're describing above as a "spanner in the works" is identical in concept. You have Links, Sites, and LinksForSites.

jc

Zaph0d wrote:
    You need a query like this to decide whether a user is authorized to see a link.

Any reason you UNIONed a load of seperate queries, rather than using a single query on that?

JC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

I find conditional joins hard to read and it's difficult to predict their execution plans.

The UNION approach is very wordy but simple to read and maintain.

Right guys thanks for the help so far. Im probably being a bit dense here but just to clarify :

When im inserting a new link, i need to update the link table and the permissions table ?

Y'huh.

From what I can see of Zaph0d's design, you'll add one row to Link, and then one row for each Permission needed for this to LinkPermission (i.e. each user, site, etc. that gets permission).

Obviously, if you're saying "everyone can see this", you only add one permission, with the Everyone bit set.

jc

• Advertisement
Advertisement