Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 1/2" bay USB hub but PCI powered

Options
  • 24-06-2005 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

I am looking for such a device. What is it called, where can I see them? They're not available on komplett.

Its a USB hub, to be mounted in a cd-rom bay, but cabled to a PCI slot. I don't want it IDE'd or SATA'd, and I want it for easier USB access. Have a PCI USB card already, but my pc is more like a 3 foot server, and its in an awkward corner - hence reason for access!

Seanie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Seanie M wrote:
    I am looking for such a device. What is it called, where can I see them? They're not available on komplett.

Its a USB hub, to be mounted in a cd-rom bay,
    Up to this point it makes sense
    but cabled to a PCI slot. I don't want it IDE'd or SATA'd, and I want it for easier USB access.
    Huh??
    Have a PCI USB card already, but my pc is more like a 3 foot server, and its in an awkward corner - hence reason for access!

Seanie.
    The only 5 1/4" USB bay devices I know of plug directly into the USB headers on the motherboard. Depending on the PCI USB card you have there may be headers on it to plug internal USB ports onto it.
    To the best of my knowledge there is no USB bay device that plugs into a PCI slot.

Something like this or this is probably what you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Thanks wizzard. Its more like the one on the Verbatim page that I would like, but it says its not for sale anymore. I might get the other from Bytec.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

you could just buy a usb hub couldn't you?

elmer wrote:
    you could just buy a usb hub couldn't you?

I'd prefer not to, just to keep things neat etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

This is the modding board.
    Buy a USB hub. Strip it apart and bung it into the casing from a knackered optical drive. Fabricate a nice front panel for it and Bob's your cross-gender-curious aunt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

:d:d:d

WizZard wrote:
    Something like this or this is probably what you are looking for.

Guess what... the first link doesn't post outside U.S. territories, and the second link doesn't make them anymore!

:mad:

Advertisement