Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting Switches

Options
  • 24-06-2005 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

I have two 3Com Superstack II Switch 3300's.
    Both have Gigabit ports at the back, can I connect them up using a regular patch cable or do I need to go with a crossover (They break my heart making up!!)

Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

crossover...

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

LOL, ah well, I was hoping to avoid it! :) Thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Gigabit will use straight through OR crossover cables on ANY connection at gigabit speed. Once the ports are running at Gigabit speed it will autodetect and provide the crossover itself, it's part of the standard.

If you drop the speed to 100Mb then it may not autodetect and reconfigure it's self.

Thanks for that Capt'n Midnight, however bringing down my network wasn't the aim of the excercise. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

^^ ??

• Advertisement

Gigabit will use straight through OR crossover cables on ANY connection at gigabit speed.

When I connected up the Gigabit point with straight through cables all my switches started flashing and the network went down. Had to power down all switches, then bring them back up. Caused a lot of bother to say the least. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

Did you ever hear of a maintenance window? :rolleyes:

Solution ID:

SuperStack 3 Switch 3300 - What version of code should I be running to connect SuperStack switches back to back

Problem: What version of code should I be running to connect SuperStack switches back to back

Fact: SuperStack II Switch 3300

Fact: SuperStack 3 Switch 3300

Fact: SuperStack 3 Switch 3300 24-Port

Fact: SuperStack 3 Switch 3300 12-Port

Fact: SuperStack 3 Switch 3300 SM

Fact: Gigabit

Problem: Unable to establish connection between gigabit ports

Cause: SuperStack 3 Switch is running software version 2.60 or lower and connecting back-to-back.

Fix: The SuperStack 3 Switch 3300 SM (3C16987A) software agent lower than 2.62 does not operate correctly if the unit is directly linked to another SuperStack 3 Switch 3300 SM using the front panel 1000BASE-SX port.
    You MUST upgrade to the latest version of code.

Advertisement