Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reincarnated?

• 24-06-2005 1:35pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a 4 year old neice who we believe to be the reincarnation of my grandmother... When she was 3 years old my sister (her mother) asked her "whats your name?" and she replied "nana rose" (my grandmothers name) I should add that my grandmother died 2 years before my neice was born....

On another occasion my neice was looking through some old photos of my father when he was a child and showing them to her and she turned to him and said "Are you better now? I used to look after you when you were a sick little boy" My father had very bad azthma as a child but he's been healthy for years now.... She couldnt possibly have known that he used to be sick as a child...

Another time she was watching tv with my mother when an ad for funtasia in Bettystown came on and she turned to my mother and said "look nana, Blackpool" My granny went to Blackpool every summer to visit her sister and she loved the place, My neice has never been to or heard of Blackpool...

She is a very happy and well adjusted child so were not worried about her, I just find it fascinating... has anyone else ever experienced anything like this?? We dont quiz her about it because she gets confused and has gotten upset in the past when people questioned her about her statements and she is only 4 years old after all...

Any advise??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

You obviously believe in reincarnation and are you sure your just not wanting to believe that she is the reincarnated soul of you grandmother? If you want to believe something that much you'll convince yourself its true.

I wouldn't push it on the kid as she might grow up with a complex, although it does sound intruiging. The blackpool thing is weird alright but are you sure she didn't just over hear people talking about these situations when you may not have though she was there and then she just repeats them?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

sprinkles wrote:
    You obviously believe in reincarnation and are you sure your just not wanting to believe that she is the reincarnated soul of you grandmother? If you want to believe something that much you'll convince yourself its true.

I wouldn't push it on the kid as she might grow up with a complex, although it does sound intruiging. The blackpool thing is weird alright but are you sure she didn't just over hear people talking about these situations when you may not have though she was there and then she just repeats them?
    Well tbh its not something that I would have ever thought very deeply into until this was brought to my attention and like I said we wouldnt push it on her, we have mearly observed her... Maybe there is another explanation for it but I am open minded, as are a lot of other people, otherwise there would be no use for this particular forum...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Oddly enough, I've had a few interesting experiences with reincarnation myself, wll just one springs to mind. My youngest sister, when she was younger, mentioned something that I can't currently remember specific details of, but essentially, it turned out that in a past life, she turned out to be the cat of my other sister's (who is older by a few years) godfather, who incidentally, ate my pet gerbil, lol. Funny thing is, this happened when I was a lot younger, and definately before both of them were born, so I can appriciate your experience.

There were other past life things relating to my family, but I can't think of them at the moment, though I remember part of one in which again, my younger sister was saying about one of her past lives in some place, and mentioned a river there, so my mum looked it up and it existed. I've been raised in amore spiritual fashion, so I very much believe in past lives. Naturally though, other people's opinions will differ on the subject.

Also, as I just remembered it, asides from the fact that my cat Magenta (RIP) was a very special cat, in that she could see ghosts, compared to the other cat we have. My mum believed her to be the reincarnation of an Aunt of mine, or hers... Prolly mine, as the name is Icelandic, and I can't pronounce it. Anothe rinteresting thing about her was that she could "speak". I swore she was able to meow something that "Andrew", which was quite amazing, and at one point, she also woke me up for college (I wonder how many people can claim their cat woke them up to go to college? :p)

Anyway, I'd better stop here, as I have a habit of verbally branching off. If you have any questions or such, I'll be happy to answer them, or at least I'll try to answer them. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I myself dont believe in re-incarnation in the sense of past lives. I just thought i would point out though that science essentially supports reincarnation in a way.

Im no scientist and maybe someone might correct me here but the way i understand it. All matter, energy etc in the Universe is already made, it was made at the time of the big bang (or little bang :D). You CANT create energy or matter from scratch.. all you can do is convert what exists into soemthing else. What that means is that when something or someone even is created or pops into existence, the matter that makes them has been converted from another source. We ourselves contain matter that has probable passed though every star in the universe that has ever existed.

So the chances that someone born a few years later might share one or two atoms of a dead relative, while very improbable.. is certainly also very possible :D
    So science does in a sort of way support reincarnation.. :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Cheers for your views :D much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Son_of_Belial

Saruman wrote:
    So the chances that someone born a few years later might share one or two atoms of a dead relative, while very improbable.. is certainly also very possible
    What a horrible thought...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

Originally Posted by Saruman
    So the chances that someone born a few years later might share one or two atoms of a dead relative, while very improbable.. is certainly also very possible

I can think of many people who i now cannot possibly disassociate myself with:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

if she was older she might be considered a medium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

solas wrote:
    if she was older she might be considered a medium.
    Seeing as she's four and a bit, she's only a small now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

:D

I agree with Saruman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Saruman wrote:
    I myself dont believe in re-incarnation in the sense of past lives. I just thought i would point out though that science essentially supports reincarnation in a way.

Im no scientist and maybe someone might correct me here but the way i understand it. All matter, energy etc in the Universe is already made, it was made at the time of the big bang (or little bang :D). You CANT create energy or matter from scratch.. all you can do is convert what exists into soemthing else. What that means is that when something or someone even is created or pops into existence, the matter that makes them has been converted from another source. We ourselves contain matter that has probable passed though every star in the universe that has ever existed.

So the chances that someone born a few years later might share one or two atoms of a dead relative, while very improbable.. is certainly also very possible :D
    So science does in a sort of way support reincarnation.. :D

Ok...

One: Theoretically matter could be created, with energy.

Two: The matter in our bodies indeed has existed since the dawn of time, however it has not been through every star in existence, at most its been through one, the one that made our solar system when it exploded.

Three: To say that a soul must be reincarnated because energy can't be destroyed is a complete fallacy. For this to be the case the soul would have to be made of energy as we know it, like heat or light, which is not the case, otherwise we could detect and measure the soul. (I know you didnt suggest this, but it has come up before and is a very similar argument)

Four: To say that sharing a few atoms is a form of reincarnation is silly. Is that cow I ate now reincarnated in me...?

Five: Why would a few atoms carries memories? The only atoms you would share with them are ones you eat or inhaled.
    Im no scientist and maybe someone might correct me

There ya go.

To the OP:

I find it very interesting that your daughter would seem to know so much that is apparently beyond her. I feel it would be very dangerous to her development to let her know of your suspicions, but I do encourage you to explore further. Maybe ask her questions she shouldnt know the answer to. Or show her things that belonged to you grandmother and see how she reacts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Quick question: Did nobody get my joke, or is it just not funny? Just for future reference.

Btw zillah, I don't think Saruman was saying the memories would exist in the atoms, more that :

Lets take an atom of iron as an example.

corpse in ground rots/ processed by worms
    used to fertilise grass
    grass processed by cow
    cow eaten by woman
    iron in cow goes into making placenta.

It may be probable that that one atom of iron went through all transitions?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Shabadu, got your joke now speed reading wrecks a punchline, sorry :D

Reincarnation aside, this little girl could be picking up on 'echoes' or messages from her great grandma, and as little kids have less grasp of tense and grammar than us, she speaks in the first person. You would need to be careful when asking about this as little kids will always want to say something to please you and she may let her imagination fill in gaps if she doesnt know and answer. My little boy (two) once told me a detailed story of being sick in a bed before he was born with a nice lady and a bad doctor.... who knows where that came from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Hey yeah I just speed read over it all. But yes very funny. Im sure it'd be better in person though.
    Btw zillah, I don't think Saruman was saying the memories would exist in the atoms, more that :

It was implied, otherwise he was rambling, which I give him the benefit of the doubt against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

bunch of comedians.

:D

Advertisement