Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Formatting PC

• 24-06-2005 2:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭

Help apprciated:- planning on formatting and reinstalling WinXP this weekend, a simple question to some but here goes:-

should install

WinXP - } Graphic Driver -} WinXP service Pack 2

or

Win XP -} SP2 -} GFX Drivers??

Whats the best way to format............

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I would go with WinXP - SP2 - GFX Drivers - Windows Update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

seamus wrote:
    I would go with WinXP - SP2 - GFX Drivers - Windows Update.

Thanks m8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

More than 100% likely that you won't have a problem either way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

egan007 wrote:
    More than 100% likely that you won't have a problem either way

110% ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

hostyle wrote:
    110% ?

Closest estimates say 108.0045345666%
    I'm sorry i can't be more accurate

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

egan007 wrote:
    Closest estimates say 108.0045345666%
    I'm sorry i can't be more accurate
    XP on a Pentum - it's gonna be slow :p

Or did you use an old version of Windows Calculator or Excel as they also have bugs. Still reckon the worst was the multiply bug in some 386 chips, they only gave errors when they warmed up. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭cal29

change the bios to boot from cd drive and then format the HD when you start installing XP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

Hey Drapper

Slipstream SP2 into WinXp so that you dont have to install it everytime you reinstall WinXP
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
    I did above about 2 years ago for SP1 and then last Sept for SP2...no problems and allows you more time to concentrate on other thing in the future.

It works equally well for Win2000 and Win2003!

As has been mentioned: XP > SP2 > Drivers. Slipstream SP2 if possible, saves you a lot of time.
    SP2 has some graphics drivers with it but they suck, no OpenGL support. Avoid them if at all possible.
    Still reckon the worst was the multiply bug in some 386 chips, they only gave errors when they warmed up. :rolleyes:
    I've got an old Pentium 90 chip with the FDIV bug. :rolleyes:

Advertisement