Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legends Of Boards Wtf??

Options
  • 24-06-2005 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

Ok envisaged an idea to have a Leonard Cohen forum , and eventually Papa Smut came to the conclusion we should have a Legend of boards forum, and the winner of the public vote each month would get a forum to discuss the winning legend ok all well and good. Now heres my gripe, there has been no input since the first poll for the monthly winner was confirmed, the forum has not been created for the winner Father Ted, and the legend of the boards is spiralling around and around with newer threads nominating people or things. Its farce tbh and its going nowhere, it has turned out to be awful idea and should be scrapped imo.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I was curious as to how that would work - the setting up of a new forum every month, as I couldn't see the Admins creating a monthly forum.

I thought that one of the mods of the Legends forum was in contact with an Admin about this? At least that's the impression I got from the "How this works" thread.

Maybe the way that it works right now is a better solution than having a monthly forum as one can still chat openly and randomly on each specific thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Or maybe it was just one of those gimmiky forums that are given out to shut people up for the time it takes for them to lose interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Or maybe it was just one of those gimmiky forums that are given out to shut people up for the time it takes for them to lose interest.

Ssshhhh pay no attention to the mod behind the current.

Legends of the boards is the most pointless forum in the history of forums, hell it makes the Hasselhoff forum seem to be a hotbed of current affairs and errudite opinions. You want a Cohen forum here are your four threads;

1. Whats your favourite Leonard Cohen Song?

2. Whats your favourite Leonard Cohen Album?

3. Ok excluding "everybody knows" from the Christian Slater movie whats your favourite Cohen song?

4. What the fúck is Cohen up to lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I thought it was a really bad idea at first. Then I realised that it is in fact a fúcking marvelous idea -- create a forum, let all the Leg-ends of Boards think they have some power over it and then... well...

thats it.

Keeps them and out of trouble for a few months until a thread like this is created and I come along and spoil it all.

Oops :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Ok I think everyone is agreeance then it should be scrapped as soon as especially if the hasselhoff forum was shut, this piss take of a forum should be closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Everyone is in agreeance? I count 5 people posting on this thread before me. Maybe if you asked this in the aforementioned forum you may get a few more people supporting it. A few of the threads in there were quite funny- let them have their arguments about bosco vs he-man or whatever.

Your reasons for wanting this forum closed seem personal rather than reasonable.

Absolutely not in reality my own idea was crap for the leonard cohen forum, and I thought the possibilty of the legends forum would be great you know, but to be fair it hasn't materialised the way Papa Smut had envisaged originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

How about scrapping the whole forum creation part, and instesd turning it into a forum where people can start: "Dorito's; Aren't they Great?" type threads?

You could have a decent Leonard Cohen Thread.

Willem D wrote:
    Absolutely not in reality my own idea was crap for the leonard cohen forum, and I thought the possibilty of the legends forum would be great you know, but to be fair it hasn't materialised the way Papa Smut had envisaged originally.

Also Willem (btw are you the same one who was convinced after watching a skyone documentary that the illuminati exist?) anywho anyone who takes the time to look at your profile and click the "all threads started by Willem D" button will see that you are the equivelent of a kinder toy, a "willow" character in my coco pops, one of those rolly balls on pay per view with alledgly helps you lose weight, you're heat magzine without the celebrate crossword to stimulate the brain, you're the Sun's mensa champion.

Bascially Willem looking at the vast (and by vast I mean every thread you've seem to have founded) you're like the queen bee of vacous pointless thread, I nominate you for queen bee for the blondes of boards, and suggest your stupidity makes you a shoe in for a legend of the boards....

Those who doubt me;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=258748

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=246190

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=252584

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=256568
    (for the lick arseness of it all)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=236512
    (for the inanity of it all)

I'm not saying Willem D is dull or stupid I'm just saying we're not losing a rocket scientist if he wants to go play in the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

indeed. Leave LotB where it is. Let people create pointless polls. The actual content is in the arguing Yay or Nay for the subject. Plus, a new forum wouldn't have to be created each month. A simple(-ish) sub forum of LotB called "teh leg-end" or somesuch would do. It would be a forum where the monthly winner can be talked about. Each month, the charter can be changed by the mod, and all the old posts deleted.
    This would save the admins the hassle of creating a new forum every month.

(and keep a lot of people in LotB, who might otherwise spam the rest of boards with pointless polls)

Just my €0.02

• Advertisement

Ok MyCroft I have no intention of getting to huge row with you over this, as you probably would love it to see someone banned at the hands of one your smart ass posts. My threads can be inane I know but the singling out you have reserved for me is unfounded there certainly a hell of a lot more stupid threads that are created on boards. So if you please take your sarcastic and insulting comments elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Goe Big Willeh!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Ya well that guy is a sheer smart-assed and sarcastic fellow out for rows and bannings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

mycroft wrote:
    Ssshhhh pay no attention to the mod behind the current.

Legends of the boards is the most pointless forum in the history of forums, hell it makes the Hasselhoff forum seem to be a hotbed of current affairs and errudite opinions. You want a Cohen forum here are your four threads;

1. Whats your favourite Leonard Cohen Song?

2. Whats your favourite Leonard Cohen Album?

3. Ok excluding "everybody knows" from the Christian Slater movie whats your favourite Cohen song?

4. What the fúck is Cohen up to lately?
    1. Jazz Police
    2. I'm Your Man
    3. Jazz Police
    4. He released a new album called "Dear Heather" this year, which was very good.

He has a huge body of work, that is highly poetic. That's just his music. He has a couple of novels and some books of poetry as well.

I don't know how the current legends forum ended up so strange, but i thoguht it was going to be about discussion of musical legends...

Cohen
    Neil Young
    Bob Dylan
    Tom Waits
    Bruce Springsteen etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Cohen is too good for his own forum people.

to answer Question number 4 though, he released Dear Heather this year and it planning on releasing another album and doing a World tour within the next few years.

Cohen doesn't need another forum, www.leonardcohenforum.com is fine:)

Willem D wrote:
    Ok MyCroft I have no intention of getting to huge row with you over this, as you probably would love it to see someone banned at the hands of one your smart ass posts. My threads can be inane I know but the singling out you have reserved for me is unfounded there certainly a hell of a lot more stupid threads that are created on boards. So if you please take your sarcastic and insulting comments elsewhere.

Awww...... diddums needs a huggly?

I found your characther assasination highly offensive, ignorant and insulting. Boards is about the freedom of expression. You dont know me and summarisation of my life and characther is totally out of order. Btw don't patronise me.

Willem D wrote:
    I found your characther assasination highly offensive, ignorant and insulting. Boards is about the freedom of expression. You dont know me and summarisation of my life and characther is totally out of order. Btw don't patronise me.

The paradox between sentences, 1, 3, and 4; in relation to your 2nd sentence is very very funny.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

This is incredibly tedious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Willem D wrote:

don't waste your breath.
    ecksor wrote:
    This is incredibly tedious.

perhaps like Solomon you can pass a wise and just ruling on this forum...

...then again - its such a lovely day... why am I sitting at my computer?

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    don't waste your breath.

perhaps like Solomon you can pass a wise and just ruling on this forum...

...then again - its such a lovely day... why am I sitting at my computer?
    Yeah thanks man I aint going to rise to this comments he is out for row and some bannings.

Willem D wrote:
    Yeah thanks man I aint going to rise to this comments he is out for row and some bannings.

Yes yes thats it, you're most concerned about "bannings" I'm engaged in some friendly banter and not so gentle mocking, don't flatter yourself.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I think the lesson to be learned here is that Leonard Cohen is doing a World Tour.

Yes... Leonard Cohen will be doing a World Tour :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

numerous requests to create said sub forums are with the admins. apologies for the delay and lack of updates but beyond our control.

legends of the boards is a bit of fun so lighten up a tad fellas. ;)

Advertisement