Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway Film Fleadh

• 24-06-2005 4:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

Anybody going to the Galway Film Festival this year?

Can anybody recommend anything worth seeing in paticular?
    The only one I recognize is Dark Water (the remake with Jennifer Connelly).

The timetable is on the site here: http://galwayfilmfleadh.com/2005day_by_day.htm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

wow,. I cant see even one Japanese movie. Oo
    damn, oh well, looks like there's is some cool stuff on ok.
    svoi (our own) is on on wednesday i think, Id love to see that, unfortunately, I wont be able to make it back until the weekend.
    If anyone wants to go see something on saturday, id be up for that, there are surely enough of us boards heads here, to meet up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

John McIlduff has three shorts showing at the Fleadh. They're excellent. Two of them are less than a minute but are among the best shorts I've seen in a while.

Short Order (closing film) looks like it could be good. They're also showing Palindromes unfortunately at the same time as Short Order though.

Paul Schrader is introducing Taxi Driver and giving a screenwriters masterclass.

Hill 16 is showing on Friday afternoon - I've heard good things about it. Made for only 20,000 euro!

Boy Eats Girl is also showing on the Saturday night but I've heard that's not brilliant.

I'm working at the Fleadh again this year so I get in free to everything! Wuhoo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Kleptopink

Hill 16! I heard it was TOO long. I'm looking fwd to 'Winters End'. Starfish is nothing special. Can't believe it's only been shown now. Seems like years since it was made.
    Ten minute movie made me jump out a window it annoyed me so much!
    Da Quixote is quirky in typical Terry style.
    Sunburn BRILLIANT! Prey Alone NOT TO BE MISSED - seriously stunning!
    Fluent Dysphasia and Past Pupil great - both made by past winners!

Can not wait to see The Unusual Inventions of Henry Cavendish... Looks promising! If only the Irish features showed as much promise as the shorts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 NakedGalwegian

Past Pupil - ugh. Boring, cliched and it looks terrible. I yawned my way through it.

Fluent Dysphasia is good - however Daniel O'Hara needs to start branching out from the Irish language theme on his next short. Still though - a good piece of work, if not as good as his first.

Ten Minute Movie - I agree with you on this one. Very annoying.

Sunburn had a nice end to it - couldn't guess it.

Doodling, Of All The Fish in the Sea + This Is All I Remember are all made by the same guy and are all brilliant.

I'm disappointed that Six Shooter wasn't entered - it won Best First Short at Cork last October. It's probably the best Irish Short I've seen in a long while. Written and Directed by Martin McDonagh, starring Brendan Gleeson and Ruardhi Conroy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Kleptopink

Agreed re Fluent Dysphesia - Don't think Stephen Rea is that strong of an actor to carry anything. Reckon that's where it falters. Paddy Courtney in contrast is a breath of fresh air on screen. Beautifully shot though. Same DP Feargal o'Hanlon as on Yu Ming and Past Pupil.
    Looking forward to seeing those shorts you recommended. Also heard good things bout Emer Martin.
    Re: Six Shooter, only Martin McDonagh could ever get funding for a short like that, anyone else they would have laughed in their face!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 marshmellowface

yeah McIlduff's films were cool. Anyone watch the Film Board's short films on Sunday? Anything good?

Advertisement