Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Maths!!!!!

Options
  • 24-06-2005 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭

I've never been happy with applied maths before- homework, class tests, mocks just have never worked for me, but a few hours revision over the last couple of days and today went fine... I did Q1->5 and Q10, twas by far the easiest AppMaths exam I've ever sat, friendly questions, friendly numbers, simply calculator beating! Twas great...I'm confident of a b2! anyone else find applied maths extraordinarily easy today?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Hmm well I really don't think it was an easy paper, I thought it was a bitch of a paper actually, so did most people in my class.

I did Q 10, 2, 3, 5, 9, 8, 4 (worst, part b confused me)

The easiest ones I did were 10, 5, 9, 8. I think I got full marks :D

I messed up in questions 2 and 3 a little bit I'm not very happy with them.
    I started with Q10 and it took 5 mins. I stupidly picked the wrong questions is my lame excuse, I thought Q1 looked awkward on 1st glance but I'm just an idiot.

Anyway I thought it was a horrible paper, but I'm pretty sure I got an A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 whenthepawn

not a nice paper!
    on first glance it was one of the worst papers i had seen , ie. hydrostatics q and projectiles q , but they turned out actually ok , hydrostatics was lovely.

i did
    collisions q - ok
    linearvelocity q weird - im not sure how i did
    wedges and pulleys q - what was up with b ??? couldnt do any of it
    relative velocity - raced through it so probably made lots of mistakes
    projectiles - b wasnt nice - didnt work out for me
    hydrostatics - as i said, lovely q

nicer than i orignally thought but actually only happy with 3 qs....

fin!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

We never did hydrostatics, we covered all other questions... Funny, maybe I'm the odd one out in Irish applied maths classes... I found projectiles part (b) to be easy, just proofs, (a) was nasty...Classmates got values ranging from 45m to 46.3m for the minimum "d" in 1(a)... that ring a bell with anyone else? I got a D1 in my mocks but I just did a rough tot there and reckon I got anything between B2 and A1 today...I'd be delighted because I've done sweet footb all for 2 years and never managed better than a C in exams! This is my 8th subject so to have it count in my 6 would be a surprise, but it's looking a likely surprise today!
    Anyway, allow me to be the first to offer my congrats to everyone on their successful completion of Ye Olde Pain In The Arse For Two Years aka. The Leaving Certificate, now go enjoy summer (Oxegen, Oasis, U2, Benicassim!!!) and get Bernhard Langered tonight and all weekend long!!!

I did Q 1-5. Ran out of time for a sixth. I'm that bad. If I had looked carefully I would have noticed that Q7 and 10 wer the easiest. :(

Q1. This is the only one I think I got full marks in. Very simple.

Q2.This was the last question I did, and I only had enough time for part (a). Twas an easy part (a) though.

Q3.Couldn't get (b)(ii), although I do think I used the right method.

Q4.Part (a) was really easy. I actually knew how to do part (b), although it didn't work out. :(

Q5.My second best question. Near full marks, although (b)(ii) didn't work out.

Hoping to scrape a C3, which I would be very happy with. It was always going to be my worst exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Moira

i think i failed it, everything that came up was something i didnt like, was really hoping for a velocity time graph for q 1 and hate the cross the rivers in q2, q3 i think i was goin the right way but just got too complicated. q4 bitch of a part b i thought, i always need a diagram. q5 again the b part got complicated. q 8 just got a part, learnt the proofs for that q but didnt get time to go over the b parts, so stupid, wrote some kiss-me-ass of an answer. q10 nice a, didnt like the b again, different from what id usually come across, put something down, but theres no way i was right.
    came out crying :( but i wasnt planning on counting app maths anyway but its just my pre was so nice and got a B2 in that and my teacher has been telling everyone il do well?? feck sake im just a good bluffer!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 d_mac

It was definitely a very unusual paper. Most years, nearly all of the questions are familiar but there were a lot of new problems introduced this. 4b was a prime example. Usually, I have no problem getting 40+ on forces questions but when I saw the word "peg" I knew I was done for. Q10b wasn't as nice as usual either but I think I got it out. Q1 was just strange. And throwing collisions into projectile part a) was mean!! Apparently, there was a different setter this year who's favourite topic is collisions. Leaving Cert 05 seems to be characterised by change!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 baz^

IMHO, this year's was a harder paper than the last few years'.

I did Q1-5 and Q10. Didn't much like 10, couldn't figure b. part (ii) (iii) at all, but had to do it, as only covered those questions. The others were fairly straightforward though, with question 1 being quite the doddle.

Anyway, it's over now, so what am I doing thinking of applied maths again?! W00t!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Did Q's 3, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 10

I think I have 5, 7 and 8 perfect.
    Question 10 I lost about 5 marks for a slip at the end, and in question 6 a), I found w but forgot to get T! D'oh! So another 5 there.
    Question 3 b) I differenciated to find maximum distance but couldn't manipulate it enough to get the answer so I lost 10 total there I would say.

Hopefully an A1

Advertisement