Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank draft scam ???

Options
  • 24-06-2005 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

I have An Item for sale in the buy and sell
    I recieved a phone call today form a dublin fella which seems to have a dublin accent, But here's the problem he has agreed to buy Item but is off on hoilday next week so will send a courier to collect it @ 7.30 tisevening but he want's to pay buy bank draft.

I have heard of these scam's that are going on but thought that they are international bank draft's..

Could this be also a scam???

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The scams usually involve giving you a bank draft for more than the amount you're looking for.

It doesn't seem overly suspicious, but if you're not happy with the transaction then don't proceed with it. Does anyone have any more ideas on how to check it out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

no no no, donot hand it over its a scam. this is going around for a while.

man i have lost alot of money to scammers and i know how it feels .i donot want to see others get scammed so donot do it. always get money before u give a person a product

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

don't hand anything over until you have cash in your hand...

...or properly lodged in a bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

Well what's made me suspicous is that he is not going to see it for himself before buying. it is brand new in its box, and he said the courier will have a look before loading it up to make sure it looks ok. plus he was on a private no so i have no contact info for him

If it is a bank draft from an Irish bank should it be ok to accept???

• Advertisement

Bank drafts are already paid for, so they're guaranteed by the bank. Is the courier bringing the draft with him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

Are you competent to spot a fake draft?

I wouldn't chance it - whole thing sounds dodgy.

It is Friday evening, you can't verify the draft until Monday morning. If you want to do the trade, ask him if he will wait until Monday morning, as you want to verify the draft with whichever bank it is being drawn upon

Was susposed to be.. he contacted again and i told him i wasnt happy about a draft. he said to contact 365 to get them to verify it but never gave me a draft no. Contacted them anyway and they have said not to accept this as it is very possible that it is a scam.

Also when i told him that it needed to be cash and that i would be in dublin during the week he said that it would be hard for him to meet me as he was working all week....

But earlier he was going on holiday soo thabks but no thanks...

guys u are idiots, bank drafts that are used by frauds are not guarnteed by banks. no drafts are guarnteed who told u that.

anyway we are trying to help u with the situation. donot take a draft of the buyer sounds really fraud.

anyway god luck if u accept the draft.
    and tell us how u get on tonight:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

drdre wrote:
    guys u are idiots, bank drafts that are used by frauds are not guarnteed by banks. no drafts are guarnteed who told u that.

It's not that they are guaranteed by banks, it's that it's basically a cheque from the bank's big checkbook, so it's as good as guaranteed as banks' cheque's don't bounce.

But they are forged also.........

drdre wrote:

anyway we are trying to help u with the situation. donot take a draft of the buyer sounds really fraud.

anyway god luck if u accept the draft.
    and tell us how u get on tonight:rolleyes:

As i said before this quote i told him i wanted cash only, no need for :rolleyes: ism , but thanks for any input from ye all.

great country we live in when we can't even trust our own, ain't it!!

Will let ye know what happen's if he get's back during the week for a cash deal...

yeah sorry guys that i got annoyed,itsjust because a few people on the thread said they are guarnteed.

how can a fake bank draft be guarnteed.thats what we were talkin about

anyway good luck with the deal

drdre wrote:
    yeah sorry guys that i got annoyed,itsjust because a few people on the thread said they are guarnteed.

how can a fake bank draft be guarnteed.thats what we were talkin about

anyway good luck with the deal

Only if they're genuine, that goes without saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I got one today for a lady who wants to rent my house off daft.ie. She will send me a bank draft for more than the amount of the deposit and she wants me to Western Union the rest of it onward.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Actually she wants you to send the rest to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Jervis St shopping center got done with a dodgy bank draft for a few grand, a guy sent in a courier on a bike with a draft to collect a load of gift vouchers.

Sounds similiar to what you are facing.
    Normally you can call a bank a check if the draft is legit, if the guy buying from you is legite he/she shouldn't have a prob.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

dudara wrote:
    Bank drafts are already paid for, so they're guaranteed by the bank.
    I refer you to this thread -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89620&
    Post 41 http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=838025&postcount=41
    turns out they werent forgeries after all, they were all stolen in a big hushed up bank job last year or therabouts, the fraud squad are on to this in a BIG way,..... so there was no way I coulda known it wasnt real, cause it sorta was.

moral - banks don't always honour genuine bank drafts, or those lost or stolen
    You are supposed to ring the bank (office hours only) to verify the draft is legit before you accept it :rolleyes:
    With a personal cheque at least you get their name and account no.

The link to the Powers has been expired but IIRC the bank paid up, only after a lot of bad PR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Simple sollution. Before you accept the draft phone your own bank's 24 hour banking number:

e.g. Bank of Ireland 1890 365 365 AIB 1890 24 24 24
    etc

They may be able to help you verify it's genuine.

Alternatively, phone the issuing bank's 24 hour banking number. Give them the serial numbers on the draft and they'll tell you if it's a fake or not pretty quickly.

There are plenty of perfectly normal reasons why someone would pay by bank draft. e.g. a younger person who doesn't have access to a cheque book and doesn't want to carry / hand over cash. The draft is also a semi-tracable payment receipt. i.e. he'll have a record of the draft and the bank will eventually have a record that the draft was cleared and payed.

If the draft's drawn on one of the major Irish banks or An Post and is printed in your name for the amount you asked for it should be fine.
    (it's increasingly rare, but some banks still write drafts by hand, so if it's hand written it's not that big a deal either)

If it's an international bank draft or is drawn on a bank you haven't heard of or is for a different amount don't accept it.

Also, note that you can't make drafts out to CASH or THE BARER as they're all effectively crossed cheques and must be in your name.

It's quite possible it's just someone who doesn't have access to a cheque book though. I wouldn't jump to too many conclusions, bank drafts are actually a very safe way of receiving payment, provided they are genuine and drawn on one of the irish banks.

From your perspective it's far safer than a normal cheque. Most banks will clear the funds immediately, so it's as good as lodging cash. i.e. a draft is just a cheque written from the bank's own current account and thus is incrediably unlikely to bounce (unless the bank's going under!) so regardless of which bank your account's with they will just lodge it instantly. If you accept a cheque, there's every possibility that it will bounce. The person's cheque guarentee card only covers up to a certain value (written on their card)

If you are accepting a personal cheque for >the amount on the card and you don't trust the person. Simply have them write multiple cheques for less than the value that the card covers!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Kraziai

Hi lads.could someone advise if is the Garda notified when false bank draft recovered by the bank?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

This thread is 10 years old. The OP hasn't posted in over a year, you are not going to get a response at this stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement