Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should cities be ISPs?

Options
  • 24-06-2005 8:29pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://news.com.com/Should+cities+be+ISPs/2100-1034_3-5758262.html?tag=nl.caro
    "Our focus is that 75 to 85 percent of our population in our low-income and minority areas that don't have access," said Dianah Neff, Philadelphia's chief information officer. "When we talked to them and we did surveys with them, they said 76 percent of the time that cost was the No. 1 reason why they didn't have access to the Internet."

Philadelphia plans to blanket a 135-square-mile area with low-cost wireless access by next summer. Neff said the estimated $10 million project could ultimately save the city's government up to $2 million in telecommunications bills, which it could in theory reroute to other social programs. Municipal governments need to do this because "we want to ensure our families and children have the abilities they need to compete in the 21st century."

135-square-miles = 9 miles x 15 miles for €10m
    (or $8m if you include savings, here comms cost more so savings may be bigger)

$10m - how much did they pay to the comms companies for the local line unbundling , how much did they pay for fibre backbone

Anyone else thing that worth a tenner for each Dubliner ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Aye. Though knowing our Government, they'd sellotape wireless APs to lampposts, with stickers saying "Please don't touch this" on them.

I guess it would be feasible to run them *in* lamp posts though - easiest way to get coverage using existing infrastructure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Well Cork City Council & Smart set up a city-wide WiFi service. I still haven't used it yet so I don't actually know how it works or how it's charged.

I don't see why anyone should prevent a local authority from entering the ISP market though. I'm just not sure i'd trust them to do it right!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Solair wrote:
    Well Cork City Council & Smart set up a city-wide WiFi service. I still haven't used it yet so I don't actually know how it works or how it's charged.

I've been trying to find details on how to access this network. Anyone got connect details?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Damien,

Don't forget it is the Corpo.. they won't know how to use it themselves! There was a press launch with a very confused looking Lord Mayor with a laptop on the steps of city hall.

I heard they're going to be using the WiFi network to link back some data from their parking wardens palmtops too btw.

i.e. for Park by Phone.

Basically, you have a sticker with a barcode on your front windsheild. You phone up an automated number, it caller IDs your mobile and you enter your pin. Key in the code on the parking sign and it'll debit your credit/laser/maestro card the parking fee.

The wardens, using their palmtops scan your barcode and it queries a database via wifi to check that you've paid.

At least, that's what I'm lead to believe!
    I assume though, that since the system also knows your reg, car make, and colour as well as the street that you're parked on. That the wardens may get lists of cars and descriptions as their parking expires... so they'd be there with a clamp / ticket :(

Advertisement