Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what's going on here...

Options
  • 24-06-2005 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

anyone remember the thread from last year, i think it was called "its oh so close"... it was started a good few weeks before ctyi, and everyone (myself included) were insanely excited and used that thread to vent said excitement.

why does no one seem all that excited for this year? last year we rambled incessantly for weeks, nay, months in advance, session 1 has already started, whats with the lack of enthusiasm? are people just bored with ctyi? has it lost its magic? or was last year just really not that great?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I wasn't that excited before last year. Maybe the week before I'll get excited. Until then I'm doing other stuff (doing a music course next week, par shampla), so.. yeah... And anyway, getting exciting also involves getting... expectations, and they're not always the best.
    Although we all KNOW CTYI will be great. Great and wonderful.

Actually I got a bit excited today 'cause I was in one of those.. serve yourself canteen sorta thingies today that reminded me of the DCU canteen. The oddest things bring back memories...

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Chowburger

The oddest things bring back memories...
    Amen.
    I keep randomly bursting into giggles of excitement when I see that ad on E4 that has 'Gay Bar' as the music.

I'm looking forward to it a ridiculous amount (though I'm almost sure it won't live up to last year's session), I just figured that I'd get frowned upon for starting an 'Oh-em-gee lYkE, CTYIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!1111two' thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

It's good, I'm looking forward to it but its not occupying my every waking moment thinking about it.It's just a thing in the near future that will be enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 dervy

Feck all this "I'm so cool I'll pretend not to be excited" stuff, I can't wait. It should be really savage. Only thing thats holdin me back in my excitement is the fact that it's gonna be my last year. :(

La la la can't hear you la la la...

Don't really want to think about the end of it, just the actual experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'm really looking forward to it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭JenLorigan

Yep, 'twill rock :D

Only reason I'm not making lots of "w00, CTYI!" posts is that they'd get annoying mighty fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

...yeah, wasnt that the start of the spam season cycle anyway..the 'I'm so excited thread'? :p

*nods wisely*

Anyway, yes, I am excited. I've been telling people how excited I am non-stop. Yes. 16 days ;)

Did anyone else think of the start to the Crazy Frog ''song'' when they say the thread title?

no? Just me so.

That freaking frog makes me want to do violent things to the creator.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

I thought a few days ago why there were no excitment threads. I knew I didn't make one cos' it just would have been in bad taste. I then assumed everyone else had made the same moral decision. I didn't say anything cos' I didn't want to jinx it. I am excited though. Aoibheann can testify that I told her earlier, "16 days to CTYI!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Lady penelopy

*ahem*...whee! ctyi! horray for it and all that jazz. 16?! good good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

I thought a few days ago why there were no excitment threads. I knew I didn't make one cos' it just would have been in bad taste. I then assumed everyone else had made the same moral decision. I didn't say anything cos' I didn't want to jinx it. I am excited though. Aoibheann can testify that I told her earlier, "16 days to CTYI!"

He did. and I had mentioned same earlier to others. and now tis only 15 days! :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

I can't wait. The only way I can contain the excitement is by overplanning what i'm going to pack and tell my friends stories from last year. I've become that band camp nerd. This one time, at CTYI
    See you all in 15 days, god it's strange that we spend all year leading up to this and then we're only there for 3 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭abraham lincoln

une question(perhaps a stupid one but no less): did or does anybody else find it hard to tell their non-ctyi compadraes about ctyi?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Yep.

Im not excited because im not goin. Its that straight forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭the_red_cherry

ColHol wrote:
    Yep.

Im not excited because im not goin. Its that straight forward.

ditto.

une question(perhaps a stupid one but no less): did or does anybody else find it hard to tell their non-ctyi compadraes about ctyi?
    surprisingly not.I just tell them what it is, their never gonna experience it, so i don't mind some of the stupid comments you get about it. Take all the slagging or whatever, it only lasts a while.

did or does anybody else find it hard to tell their non-ctyi compadraes about ctyi?

Sometimes, with a name like 'Irish Centre for Talented Youth' it sounds a bit pretentious when you have to explain it. Could be worse theough, in Britain they have the 'National Acedemy for Gifted Children'

I just say 'Nerd Camp' when people ask what it is.

• Advertisement

Yeah, but then people ask what 'CTYI' stands for... *cringe*

I don't really think any of my non-nerd friends care about my stories from there, but I just ramble on anyway. Meh. Their loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭gigglingrat

I just say DCU summer courses and leave it at that. They can google it if they're that interested.

I ramble to the people who'll be interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Lady penelopy

Chowburger wrote:
    I don't really think any of my non-nerd friends care about my stories from there, but I just ramble on anyway. Meh. Their loss.

ditto. then every now and again ill talk to one of my best friends, who went to ctyi, for hours in a free class or somethingm, so at least i have that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

most people don't seem to care, they jus think it's like irish college or something.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

To explain it I usually just say "It's like Irish college... only no Irish" because even if they're TOTALLY different, it's the only way to explain it to an outsider.

Well, it's either that or "nerd camp/summer school", so... take your pick tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Stephen Forde

i told all my friends it was irish college except one of them and he kept calling me a nerd cos of goign to nerd camp then 2 years later he went!

just face it all ur friends should know by now that ur all nerds.....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

This can now get back to whatever it was actually about... Alcohol related posts in the appropriate thread please. Don't make more work for me (the ban button is easier than splitting your post over to there - bear that in mind).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭incredula pert

apologies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

He didnt delete all the posts. see the thread called "alcohol"?

now d'ya mind quitting jumping to conclusions before actually looking? cheers.

Advertisement